Stability Control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mia389

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Today I was taking my daughter to school and I was at stop sign waiting for cross traffic. I was in four/w drive with traction control off. The roads were wet. This intersection sucks as its very busy and hard to get out. I seen a small opening and hammered on gas. I was expecting the truck to slide with a small fish tail. Instead I felt stability control start applying brakes and it left me hanging out in the intersection. I was pissed haha!

Maybe I should of screwed around in a parking lot to see how truck would react first before trying such a high risk maneuver with my daughter in the back.

Please tell me there is a way to turn the stability control off!

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
It is called the antifun control system.

I would love to have that **** and the traction control turned clear off.

One thing I hated on my last Chevy was the TMC that GM put in the truck was absolutely asinine and one reason I did not even bother going and looking at a GM product again.

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
when in 4w-hi, hold the traction button, it will turn off but it turns back on when "I think" you hit 45 mph

this will not work in 2wd

ramd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've heard taking the abs fuse out will disable it. I haven't tried it but curious if it does work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtomicDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've heard taking the abs fuse out will disable it. I haven't tried it but curious if it does work.

This just sounds dangerous. ABS once saved me from killing a pedestrian. It's amazing in an emergency.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ To each their own- I tried to pitch my truck sideways to get the thing pointed in the right direction in the snow- stability thought the ditch was a better place - I was furious. Not to confuse anyone - The truck just fell on its face .. and when I tried to continue forward- Gravity took over and backwards it went to the ditch lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mia389

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Darn! Was hoping for a pump brake 3 times then push TC switch once while holding the glove box open or something.

I wouldn't want to disable ABS unless I was in a farm field having some fun. My brothers GMC you can disable the stablitly control by holding down the TC button. Would be nice if RAM did this. Let us use that HEMI!

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
These systems respond much better when you roll into the throttle. The computers are really smart but don't have a clue between fun driving and legitimate slip/loss of stability.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You had traction issues in 4wd? I use mine all the time and never had a TC issue in 4wd. 2wd, yeah, it will leave you high and dry.

In 4wd, you can press and hold the TC button to disable ESC. But, ESC will re-enable at about 39 mph, but it will automatically disable when you slow down again. Perfect for these jack rabbit fun starts

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mia389

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sweet!! Ill give it a try.

guarj17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually had a strange issue driving on the beach the other day. Had it in 4w-hi, took traction control off, and when getting out of a sand run to move over, the light above traction came on (I think stability?) and the truck bogged down. Is this the same thing? Can I turn it off? I feel like it's going to happen all the time to me driving in the sand.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You had traction issues in 4wd? I use mine all the time and never had a TC issue in 4wd. 2wd, yeah, it will leave you high and dry.

In 4wd, you can press and hold the TC button to disable ESC. But, ESC will re-enable at about 39 mph, but it will automatically disable when you slow down again. Perfect for these jack rabbit fun starts

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You can disable it if you hold the button for 5 seconds.....and then when you hit 40 mph, it turns back on, and if you drop below 35, it turns back off.

This is ONLY in 4wd auto or 4WD lock modes (4wd low it's always off period)

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually had a strange issue driving on the beach the other day. Had it in 4w-hi, took traction control off, and when getting out of a sand run to move over, the light above traction came on (I think stability?) and the truck bogged down. Is this the same thing? Can I turn it off? I feel like it's going to happen all the time to me driving in the sand.
I have had the same issue. The flashing I on the dash is the stability control kicking in.
My $. 02 on the beach 1)I use 4low now, 2) limit the truck to 3rd gear, 3) air down to 20psi, 4) drive 10-12 mph, 5) constant momentum and throttle to keep the 4 wheel drive engaged (well 4x3 with the lsd). It has worked so much better for me with the 44-44 transfer case.

The sand on Long Island is soft and deep in spots and some people just dig their tires in and leave ruts [emoji35]

Last edited:

ETHIKILL2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi

I run my Ram on the beach a lot and 4HI sucks. I run Brigantine, NJ and the sand is always soft, deep, and rutted. If you leave TC engaged the truck continually bogs down. If you run 4HI with TC off, wheel speed gets up there and TC kicks back "on" again. In all honesty, I started running mine in 4LOW because in 4LOW the TC is permanently disabled. Truck does much better on the beach that way.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
This may answer your questions or clarify how the system work.

Traction Control System (TCS)

The TCS monitors the amount of wheel spin of each of the driven wheels. If wheel spin is detected, brake pressure is applied to the slipping wheel(s), and engine power is reduced to provide enhanced acceleration and stability. A feature of the TCS functions similarly to a limited-slip differential and controls the wheel spin across a driven axle. If one wheel on a driven axle is spinning faster than the other, the system will apply the brake of the spinning wheel. This will allow more engine torque to be applied to the wheel that is not spinning. This feature remains active even if TCS and ESC are in the “Partial Off” mode. This brake pressure modulation transfers drive torque from slipping to non-slipping wheels to provide optimal forward traction.

Electronic Stability Control (ESC)

The ESC system enhances directional control and stability of the vehicle under various driving conditions. ESC corrects for oversteering or understeering of the vehicle by applying the brake of the appropriate wheel to assist in counteracting the oversteer or understeer condition. Engine power may also be reduced to help the vehicle maintain the desired path. ESC uses sensors in the vehicle to determine the vehicle path intended by the driver and compares it to the actual path of the vehicle. When the actual path does not match the intended path, ESC applies the brake of the appropriate wheel to assist in counteracting the oversteer or
understeer condition.
• Oversteer - when the vehicle is turning more than appropriate for the steering wheel position.
• Understeer - when the vehicle is turning less than appropriate for the steering wheel position.

All Ram Two-Wheel Drive Vehicles And Four-Wheel Drive Vehicles In 2WD, 4WD AUTO, Or 4WD LOCK Modes Can Choose The following ESC Operating Modes:

ESC On
This is the normal operating mode for ESC in 2WD/4WD AUTO/4WD LOCK modes and in 2WD vehicles. This mode should be used for almost all driving situations. ESC should only be turned to “Partial Off” or “ESC Off” for specific reasons as noted below.

ESC Partial Off
This mode is entered by momentarily pressing the “ESC Off” switch. When in Partial Off mode, the TCS portion of ESC, except for he “limited slip” feature described in the TCS section, has been disabled and the "ESC Off Indicator Light" will be illuminated. All other stability features of ESC function normally. This mode is intended to be used if the vehicle is in deep snow, sand, or gravel conditions and more wheel spin than TCS would normally allow is required to gain traction. To turn ESC on again, momentarily press the “ESC Off” switch. This will restore the normal “ESC On” mode of operation.

This Is the ESC operating mode in 4WD LOW:

ESC Full Off
This mode is intended for off-road use when ESC stability features could inhibit vehicle maneuverability due to trail conditions. This mode is entered by pressing and holding the “ESC Off” switch for five seconds WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STOPPED and the engine is running. After five seconds, the “ESC Off Indicator Light” will illuminate and the “ESC Off” message will appear in the odometer. ESC and TCS except for the “limited slip” feature described in the TCS section are turned off until the vehicle reaches a speed of 40 mph (64 km/h). At 40 mph (64 km/h) the system returns to “Partial Off” mode. When the vehicle speed drops below 35 mph (56 km/h) the system returns to Full Off mode. To turn ESC on again, momentarily

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Strange, My 2017 RAM does not have a ESC OFF switch.
The Traction Control switch on the dash just below the climate control/next to the brake controller is what you use to disable the TC and ESC
It will have this symbol on it:
f6a0b9e46c27a7b27bc29244812e82ad.jpg

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The TCS monitors the amount of wheel spin of each of the driven wheels. If wheel spin is detected, brake pressure is applied to the slipping wheel(s), and engine power is reduced to provide enhanced acceleration and stability.

^^ So I got 6 lines into that and said" yup that's some ********-
And engine power is reduced to provide enhanced exceleration- that's some bs .. lol