Starting without Fob?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stagman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Might not be the right place for this, but here goes?

Thought I had lost my keys Monday, found them laying by my truck, where they had been for 1/2 the day. I have a door key hidden on the truck so if I lock them in. However, this almost bad day got me thinking if there was a way to start the truck without the fob? Say create a chiped key or something.

Jay

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
so....be able to start the truck with a key like the one that will open the door?

Picton

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 - 1500 Express CC 4x2
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I sure don't see how. That slot for ignition looks to be for the fob only.

OP
OP
Stagman

Stagman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so....be able to start the truck with a key like the one that will open the door?

Yep that's what I would like, just for back up. I hate to have the entire spare fob hidden somewhere under a fender or something. Agree that its probably not possible, but gonna keep trying to find an alternative

mikehutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see on ikeyless.com an uncut transponder key. Look like a key with chip but no remote buttons. $17.95. You need two keys to program it or will need to have the dealer do it.

This was under 2008 dodge ram.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

sinisterc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
In case of lost keys while away from home, why not hide a spare door key outside the cab and hide the spare FOB inside the cab.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
The truck has to sense the chip for it to start. Which is why I had to get the bypass for my remote start. Regardless of different years, if that chip isn't sensed the truck won't start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I can start the truck sticking my finger in the fob ingention. The dealership is looking into it.

OP
OP
Stagman

Stagman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In case of lost keys while away from home, why not hide a spare door key outside the cab and hide the spare FOB inside the cab.

This may be the best option. I will start doing that for now. thanks.
jay

shieldsdb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can start the truck without the FOB in the slot, but it has to be close. You will get a fault on the dash, something about bad FOB or something. There is a cat on one of the other forums that hooked up a Challenger push start in his 09. He said that someone at his dealership was able to hook him up with a flash to make it work.