is stealership ripping me off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dallasmade19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Ok, so I bought my new ram 1500 2 months ago and I love it. But I have a problem. Being young I dont know much about how these things work being this is my 1st ride I got on my own. I got the truck from texas but I stay in Louisiana. Today...2 days before my temp tag expires my DMV decides to call and say they finally have my stuff in from the dealership (titles, tags, license). However she said that the dealership only sent them a check for 1/2 the amount and said that I was responsible for the rest. I asked what did they not cover? She said they didn't cover the sales tax or the license. So im asking do I really have to cover that? I know tax rates are different here but I thought all that was included when buying the truck or isnt it included in my down payment? Im asking because the dealership already ripped me off once before by raising my apr percentage so I just want to know if this is true that I owe the rest.

Also I told the DMV lady I never heard of having to provide the remaining amount for all of that stuff when buying a new car and she said she wasnt sure about that but she did say she at least expected them to pay for at least 4% of the taxes. Our taxes here in Louisiana is 9% by the way.

Im just mad because when I bought the truck he never said anything about how this situation may come up and I know I wasnt his 1st out of state sale. He even said he was going to have to check on all of the tax rates here before he finalized his paperwork. So if the taxes here didnt matter then why would he say that?

chrisb38002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your contract paperwork (here it's the really long yellow sheet). There should be an itemized list of everything on there showing if they paid the taxes and registration fees, and how much. They are not required to pay them, but usually include it in the price of the truck. It's part of that "taxes, title, and license extra" fine print. If they did not include them in the contract, then you will have to pay them to get your tags. If they did, I would be calling the dealership and asking what is going on.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Taxes, Title and License (TT&L) are usually on the buyer. They should have been rolled up in your purchase agreement, or broken out separately as an amount in cash you could provide at signing to settle up to avoid having to finance that in the vehicle purchase.

Pull your purchase paperwork and if the amount you were charged for TT &L doesn't match what the DMV wants, its time to write a check Dude.

OP
OP
D

dallasmade19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
thanks for the replies. I'm at work right now. I will look over the sheet when I get home. The replies really helped me better understand!

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
when you buy a vehicle out of state, your usually responsible for the tax and license. if the dealer is in the state you live in, they can handle it for you. now, i could be wrong on this but im pretty sure that if they charged you tax in texas, and lets say the tax in louisiana is higher, i think your only responsible for the difference. licensing they couldnt charge you for.

Mopar_Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I bought a vehicle out of state once and I would assume this is the case in all states but I am not 100% sure. The dealership out of state went through a 3rd party agency that calculates the sales tax/registration/licensing fees for the state the dealer will be registered in and said agency will handle getting the vehicle registered in the proper state (i got my plates in the mail after a couple weeks) while the dealer gives you temp tags. This allows the selling dealership to figure all taxes and fees into the transaction which in turn allows those fees to be added into your financing.

With all that being said keep in mind that the dealership doesnt have to figure taxes and fees into your financing so unless you explicitly specified for them to do that they may not have to make your monthly payment look nicer and make it easier for them to get the sale. Regardless of what state you live in/ purchase the vehicle in if the dealership doesnt include taxes and reg fees in your financing you will be responsible for paying them in order to get the vehicle registered.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I live in NJ and bought my truck in NY and most of the taxes, title and license were included. The dealership sent a guy down to my local DMV and he paid like 80% and I paid the rest.

6thgear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've bought a few new car,truck, and motorcycles. I've always paid Tax + Title fees seperate. Normally I add that cost with my downpayment allotment.

nick84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in KY, but bought mine in OH. About two weeks after purchase I got an envelope from the dealer containing a check already made out to the county I live in. A couple weeks after that (about 25 days total) I got the title in the mail from Chrysler with the first lienholder identified on it. Took it all to DMV and all I had to do was pay for a plate. I suppose it all depends on where you live and the dealer.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same happened to me when i bought my truck in a different provience..I assumed all the taxes n stuff was covered but i was wrong..There was a slight play on words about tax n lic being covered...It only cost me $800 so i thanked god at the last min i saved part of my down payment for "just incase issues".

Sladerade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I purchased my truck from Kentucky and I live in Texas. I explicitly made sure when I was on the phone with them to include the tt&l all on the final price before I took out a loan

Wait a second... I'm posting from an iPhone?