Steering Feel/Feedback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently acquired a CPO RAM and have been trying to come to grips with the silly steering. I test drove several others and they all felt the same, but it's starting to get to me after a few weeks of ownership. The steering feels totally disconnected from the driving experience. The wheel makes the front end do what it's supposed to do, but the feedback/feel is close to dead, forget "neutral". I know all about the electronic steering but I've never owned nor driven for a long time anything that isn't directly connected from the steering wheel to the front wheels. I used to think my Subaru Outback was loose and sloppy until I drove the RAM. Now the OB feels like my Miata! Is there any sort of adjustment in the electronics to improve the feedback? Obviously I will need to adapt to the difference but I find it very disconcerting. My Dakota is more akin to my Miata in handling but the RAM feels like I'm stirring melted butter with a hot knife! Not as bad as a Chevy I drove recently, but not far from it other.

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weird... no idea what might fix this but that does not sound normal. What year is your truck? My 2016 does not feel like that at all.

OP
OP
patchelect

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is a '14 and other '14's I drove felt the same. Maybe a '14 issue? Either way it apes the Chevy I drove so it isn't unusual as far as I'm concerned. I haven't tried a Ford so I don't know about them. And I'll concur with the sensitivity to steering inputs.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2017 feels like this too. It's full electronic steering, nothing can be done about it :(

I wish it was power assist.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Go drive a 2500 or 3500 4x4 Ram, then you will really appreciate your steering!

OP
OP
patchelect

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kind of sad a 1500 is a better POS than a 2500 or a 3500 in the steering department. I'm going to try a friends '17 Ford F150 early next week just as a comparison.

Chigurh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The electric steering in mine feels better than hydraulic.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Maybe playing with tire pressure will help, or new tires.

OP
OP
patchelect

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe playing with tire pressure will help, or new tires.

The tires are new Goodyears and the pressures will not make a difference to this disconnected feeling, believe me. The only thing I could see changing pressures helping would be dropping it to 30-32 and that would tick off the TP warning system, not to mention the negative affect on fuel economy.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Kind of sad a 1500 is a better POS than a 2500 or a 3500 in the steering department. I'm going to try a friends '17 Ford F150 early next week just as a comparison.

Ford has electric steering too

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I know what you mean OP...the steering requires constant inputs to stay straight on the road...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
You guys have your alignment checked lately? my truck drives straight down the road, zero complaints really.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You guys have your alignment checked lately? my truck drives straight down the road, zero complaints really.
My alignment is perfect, it's just the lack of tactile feedback that means if I'm not looking down the road and applying the constant input, my truck can wander around without me feeling it.

Try it sometime on the highway (safely). Look to your left or right for a few seconds while holding the wheel static. Look forward and see where your truck is pointed. For me anything over 40mph requires constant correction.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
So are you saying if I look to the left my truck will drift while I am not watching?
I will try that next time out.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So are you saying if I look to the left my truck will drift while I am not watching?
I will try that next time out.
Yes and I blame it on the lack of tactile feedback to feel what the wheels are doing. The faster you go, the more exaggerated the drift. I think the electronic steering makes it really smooth to drive, but the first time I realized this I was a bit put off.

My observation is that it takes constant small adjustments to stay straight on the road with the electronic steering which feel effortless and take very little of attention until you aren't paying attention.

OP
OP
patchelect

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks SitKneelBend, you are getting my point exactly. The others are missing what I am meaning. It is NOT the vehicle being out of alignment, but the complete LACK of feedback. And while I am aware that Ford uses electric steering I just want a point of reference since I already have a Chevy as a comparison.

crzywyteboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have similar issues with my 2013 1500. Have to continually make small corrections. Feels sloppy. Wish it was tighter and way more responsive. Thought I was the only one with this complaint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My last truck and cars only had power assist and you feel so much more.

Go test drive a Nissan Frontier, if you guys have a dealer nearby. That's what the OP is referring to as feeling the road. The Ram lacks feel completely, compared to that.

OP
OP
patchelect

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just finished a 200 mile trip that was mostly highway driving. I got the impression that the steering changes as your speed increases, in other words, at higher speeds the "assist" is reduced. If I can only find a way to fool the system!