Steering pump failure twice in 1 year!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2500Fred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi guys this is my first thread and my first ram actually. I own a 2014 2500 heavy duty with the 5.7l .

My truck is pretty much stock except for mt tires not really to big but i think enough for my farm.

I have had the truck for over a year and yesterday my steering pump failed again!!!!

The first time was 8 months ago. I was at the farm in mid to heavy hud conditions and was stuck. These trucks suck in mud but that will be another thread.

I was rocking the truck back and forth and moving steering wheel to sides and bam...lost all fluids and there goes the pump...

I was abusing it so i did not thin much of it.

Now yesterday in light, seriously, light mud conditions my new pump went out but no liquid failure this time!!!

I can not fing believe it!!

This pump was original bought and dodge dealer and less than a year later in the first light mud of the season and i am screwed again.

I do not want to buy another 400 dollar pump so i will be in this situation again in less than a year.

Has anyone upgraded to a heavier steering pump? If so what model and where to buy it.

If i cant fix problem i am going to be forced to sell and do not want to.

My job requieres off road driving, which i love!!! But **** man can go through $400 dollar pumps every few months!!!

Has anyone had similar issues???

Please help guys!!!

Thanks

repo4sale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7diesel
Hi guys this is my first thread and my first ram actually. I own a 2014 2500 heavy duty with the 5.7l .

My truck is pretty much stock except for mt tires not really to big but i think enough for my farm.

I have had the truck for over a year and yesterday my steering pump failed again!!!!

The first time was 8 months ago. I was at the farm in mid to heavy hud conditions and was stuck. These trucks suck in mud but that will be another thread.

I was rocking the truck back and forth and moving steering wheel to sides and bam...lost all fluids and there goes the pump...

I was abusing it so i did not thin much of it.

Now yesterday in light, seriously, light mud conditions my new pump went out but no liquid failure this time!!!

I can not fing believe it!!

This pump was original bought and dodge dealer and less than a year later in the first light mud of the season and i am screwed again.

I do not want to buy another 400 dollar pump so i will be in this situation again in less than a year.

Has anyone upgraded to a heavier steering pump? If so what model and where to buy it.

If i cant fix problem i am going to be forced to sell and do not want to.

My job requieres off road driving, which i love!!! But **** man can go through $400 dollar pumps every few months!!!

Has anyone had similar issues???

Please help guys!!!

Thanks
Tire size? Tire weight?

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Mopar parts come with a better warranty then most 24 months yes?

You never were at full turn on the wheel?

OP
OP

2500Fred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Tire size? Tire weight?

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

HI bud thanks for the reply....nothing crazy man...275/70/r18

Really upset about this!!!

Have you heard of steering pump issues here? Can I upgrade to another system?

Where can I get Steering pump specs so I can search for alternatives?

thanks for your time!!!

OP
OP

2500Fred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah a few times trying to get out of a rut!!! But nothing crazy and nothing I have not done before in my FJ Cruiser....really disappointed in off road performance...this is the second pum within a year!!!!

Any threads out there with regards to steering pump failures? I need to upgrade can not buy another pump and have it fail again!!!!

Thanks for your time Bud

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i've blown quite a few hoses on my liberty, mostly due to cold.

Just to establish how it blew the pump the first time, did the hose blow and then the pump ran dry? I ask due to your comment about fluid loss. In that case you have options on upgrading your HP line.

As BBB has stated, if your at the steering stops the pressure spikes and is more likely to blow a hose.

Either way most hydraulic shops can make you a custom line from your old fittings that go into the rack once you zip them off with a grinder. More Information for GATES 352547
looks like the above link. Will be cheaper than the new mopar unit and way better.

End up using typical compression fitting on the hose ends. Go a bit longer than the stock length. Pressure rating will be probably 3 x the mopar / gates one.

No promises but those fittings look pretty much same as the ones on the liberty and you can buy those for 5 bucks or so

2007 JEEP LIBERTY 3.7L V6 Power Steering Return Line End Fitting | RockAuto

They say LP line but its the same both ends except the HP line is crimped not a hose clamp. they make 90's and straight depending on your space near the rack. 18 mm crows foot.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just went on advance Auto parts website, if you have to buy a new pump they have them for $179 and if you order online you can get 20 o/o off of that. Most advance stores can make you a new line if that's what you need. I tried looking up you're exact pump but theirs no 2500 HD listing so I just went with 2500 with 5.7. As a general rule a new pump from advance would come with limited lifetime replacement. You'd have to check on that for sure depending on the exact pump you need. I don't know if you'd be interested in this option but at least it gives you options.

OP
OP

2500Fred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i've blown quite a few hoses on my liberty, mostly due to cold.

Just to establish how it blew the pump the first time, did the hose blow and then the pump ran dry? I ask due to your comment about fluid loss. In that case you have options on upgrading your HP line.

As BBB has stated, if your at the steering stops the pressure spikes and is more likely to blow a hose.

Either way most hydraulic shops can make you a custom line from your old fittings that go into the rack once you zip them off with a grinder. More Information for GATES 352547
looks like the above link. Will be cheaper than the new mopar unit and way better.

End up using typical compression fitting on the hose ends. Go a bit longer than the stock length. Pressure rating will be probably 3 x the mopar / gates one.

No promises but those fittings look pretty much same as the ones on the liberty and you can buy those for 5 bucks or so

2007 JEEP LIBERTY 3.7L V6 Power Steering Return Line End Fitting | RockAuto

They say LP line but its the same both ends except the HP line is crimped not a hose clamp. they make 90's and straight depending on your space near the rack. 18 mm crows foot.

Hi on the first time a hose failure but this time no failure on house, we took the pump apart and it had metal shavings from rotor blades inside the system but no failure on hoses.

my mechanics here state that the rotor axis is mounted on bushings and not bearings so when taken to max point they fail.

How do I post pics here??

do they sell pumps rotor axis on bearings and not on bushings ??

can i upgrade to another pump?

DOES ANYONE HAVE PUMP SPECS SO I CAN LOOK UP ALTERNATIVES??

I was forced to buy a brand new pump again so I can work but want to resolve this cancer as I know I will be in this issue again.

PLEASE ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!!!

OP
OP

2500Fred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just went on advance Auto parts website, if you have to buy a new pump they have them for $179 and if you order online you can get 20 o/o off of that. Most advance stores can make you a new line if that's what you need. I tried looking up you're exact pump but theirs no 2500 HD listing so I just went with 2500 with 5.7. As a general rule a new pump from advance would come with limited lifetime replacement. You'd have to check on that for sure depending on the exact pump you need. I don't know if you'd be interested in this option but at least it gives you options.

thanks going online right now!!!