Storing your ram for lengthy periods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So unfortunately, my ram has to be stored for a couple months....I know some of you guys have probably done this in the past. I've been away from previous vehicles for 6-12 months at a time during deployments but have always had someone taking care of them....not the case this time.

what are some suggestions on to do's and not to do's

Tips and advice welcome too :happy107:

Red5Point7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So unfortunately, my ram has to be stored for a couple months....I know some of you guys have probably done this in the past. I've been away from previous vehicles for 6-12 months at a time during deployments but have always had someone taking care of them....not the case this time.

what are some suggestions on to do's and not to do's

Tips and advice welcome too :happy107:

I've been stationed overseas for the past 2 years, only 1 year with my truck at home though. One thing I did before I left was take the 35s off and put stocks back on for it to sit on instead of create flat spots on the good tires. Another thing is possibly disconnect the battery but that's just a shot in the dark.

2013 "Satan" Build

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Like Red5 stated, unplug the battery and change wheels if you have an extra set. Also add fuel stabilizer. When you return, change the oil before driving hard (or immediately if you can).

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2 months is not too long but probably long enough to take the precautions mentioned. If you happen to have an extra set of wheels, avoiding flat spots is definitely a bonus. but worst case scenario, I'm not sure 2 months would be too the worst thing ever on the tires. I'm preferential to an oil change before sitting. And I have a pig tail for a floating charger/maintainer for the battery on all my vehicles, instead of removing.

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
Trickle charger
Fuel Stablizer
change oil before storing
Placing on blocks, to me, seems more logical that changing tires. You want to get the tires off the floor.

If possible, I would try to crack a couple of windows to avoid condensation. Cracking windows allows for air circulation and humidity equilibrium. If stored outside, you could cover the car (do they make car covers for trucks?) which would allow cracking some windows.

Last edited:

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
If a spare set of wheels and tires are not an option, put some extra air into the tires. It will help keep away the flat spots. A couple months shouldnt be too bad on a set of tires in good condition.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use to have a '13 camaro and i would store it in the winter. The only thing i would do was an oil change. i left the battery connected and never had any issues.

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2 months isn't long enough to have any real impact, but as others have mentioned unplugging the battery never hurts and just check the oil when you get back. Chances are you won't even need to change it but give it a good melow drive when you get back before you tow or haul anything or really get on the throttle.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
You can get a moisture absorbing desiccant container at camping supply stores and department stores to trap excess moisture, just sit a couple on the floor. Fill it up with fuel so the tank has less air space to hold and condense moisture. Fuel stabilizer that treats for ethanol specifically wouldn't hurt. Disconnecting the battery would probably be fine but a battery tender/maintainer would be ok if you're paranoid as would be putting it up on jack stands. A trickle charger that doesn't have the ability to kick off when the battery is fully charged and back on when it drops to a specific voltage is not good for a battery. It stinks no one can watch your truck but with a few precautions 2 months is not that long.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You don't say where the vehicle will be stored in/out etc but here are a few things to consider if they apply.

Don't park in grass, it will grow and that invites chipmunks etc. My son had a chipmunk get into the engine bay of his 2007 Duramax, $1,700 damage to the wiring.

Air up the tires and park on wood. This prevents moisture from being pulled from the tires creating flat spots.

Float charge the battery, use a solar one if away from power. Parasitic loss increases as the temperature increases.

Avoid car covers outside, wind flapping causes paint scratching. They can also trap moisture.

Put a large plastic cup over your exhaust ports, this prevents critters from setting up housekeeping in your exhaust system.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Mine sat for 2 months when I was on disability, battery died and flat spots in the tires. If I have to do it again it'll go on 4 jack stands and the battery unhooked.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
When I went to basic and AIT my car sat in storage. Family went and drove it once a month.

But, I still changed the oil before and after storage. Also took a big aluminum pan and threw charcoal, like for the grill, in the pan. It absorbs moisture and is cheap. You can also throw in a bar of soap to keep it fresh haha. It all worked for me.

If you lift the vehicle, I wouldn't set the stands on the frame and leave the suspension hanging that long. Put it on an arm or axle.

For tires you can also buy ramps of sorts you park on that supposedly stop tires from flat spotting.

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If a spare set of wheels and tires are not an option, put some extra air into the tires. It will help keep away the flat spots. A couple months shouldnt be too bad on a set of tires in good condition.

Ya, spare set isn't an option.

You don't say where the vehicle will be stored in/out....

Don't park in grass, it will grow and that invites chipmunks etc. My son had a chipmunk get into the engine bay....

It'll be outside, on loose gravel, all desert....probably won't need to worry too much about chipmunks.

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not thinking the 2 months will really be long enough to cause bald spots either.

It probably wouldn't hurt to leave on jack stands just high enough to help relieve some of the weight on the tires though right?

cubmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bring it to me. I'll take care of it for you. I know it's a long ways to get here but hey I'll help out. :roflsquared:

JGold6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rzrman I'm glad you started this thread. I'll be leaving soon for a 6+ month deployment and I'll have to store my 2017 Rebel while I'm gone. It will be parked in my garage so out of the elements but I was worried about it sitting for that long. So far I see that I need a battery tender, fresh oil, fuel stabilizer, and jack stands. I'll keep following this thread for all of the great advice from other Ram owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamesq87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am not going to be gone quite as long as you, but I just parked mine under the carport out back and left my fiancé the spare key so she can crank it once a week and idle it to circulate fluids and charge the battery up. I also did a new filter and oil change before I left and filled up the gas tank.

Don't know if that helps you out any.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
2006 Ram 1500 SLT Megacab
5.7/auto/4wd
2" lift,33's,minor exhaust tweak. (For now)

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
also i have been told but never tried myself to put like bounce dryer sheets a few on the inside and many on the ground around as rodents dont like them.

OP do you have to worry about snakes crawling into anything?

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Put it up on jackstands before you leave. Put double the recommended dose of sta- bil in the fuel tank and the run it a few miles to get it through the fuel system. For 2 months I'd not worry about the oil. Leave the Windows closed. Wash and wax it before you leave. Put a sun shade in the front window