Strange intermittent remote start issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Having an odd issue on my 2011 1500, Laramie Crew Cab with OEM remote start.

About a month ago I attempted to remote start. Horn beeped as it should but truck didn't start. Went out to crank manually and the truck for all intents and purposes was dead. No lights, no chimes, nothing. Inserted the key in the ignition and couldn't remove the key. It was stuck inserted between off and accessory/on.

After about 10-15 minutes and popping the hood to check battery, the truck came back to life like nothing ever happened, but the radio and EVIC completely reset.

I thought it was an isolated incident but it has happened two more times randomly.

Bottom line - it's not a battery issue and this seems like some kind of security "feature" getting triggered by accident that disables/bricks the vehicle. I've read the threads on a "hood ajar" message but that isn't the message I'm getting. When things come back to life EVIC just says "Remote Start Disabled, place key in ignition" or something along those lines.

The most recent time it happened (this morning), I opened the hood and dropped it shut. Instead of having to wait the truck came back to life.

That to me still sounds like a faulty hood switch even though I'm not getting the hood ajar warning.

Anyone else had a similar problem? Anything else I should check before replacing the hood switch/latch assembly? No warranty so no trip to dealer to evaluate this.

Barreesam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was having something similar lately with my 2011 1500. Only difference is my EVIC says auto start disabled start vehicle to reset. My vehicle won't start though, unless I put it in neutral first or give it 15 to 20 minutes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get someone to hold the hood pin down and crank. Then try without pin.

Main power relay shot? I presume it wouldn't fire at all if that's the case.

Any check engine lights?

Disconnect battery and let the computer die and reset itself

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
loose ground / corrosion when you shut the hood it regains a positive contact but once it cools it looses it