Switched from Jeep to Ram - Seeking Advice!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guarj17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey All,

I've been a WJ Grand Cherokee driver for years, and finally made the switch to a 2016 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab a few months ago, and I couldn't be happier.

I've always done a lot of modifications to my vehicles so now, this is where it gets fun. It's time to start doing upgrades. Going through the forum I have found a few things I'd like to do but I figured this would be a nice way to introduce myself and see what you guys think I should start with and/or veer away from.

FYI - Frequent 4x4 beach visitor/fisherman.

What I've done so far:
#1 - Factory all weather floor mats (boring)
#2 - Factory bed liner (boring)
#3 - Rain guards (boring)
#4 - Tint match front windows to rear
#5 - Debadge quarter panels and front doors (doing tailgate next week)
#6 - Rough Country 2.5" Level Kit

Next on the list:
- Fabricating tackle box/fishing rod combo holder for bed (rods will go on passenger side half and there will be a compartment for tackle box/air hose/tools on driver side half)
- Wheels and Tires (going to run stock through spring/summer)

Things that I am debating on doing in the meantime:
- LED bar kits
- Interior lighting direct replacement kits
- LED tailgate strip (does this look good on our trucks?)
- Intake
- Muffler (keeping my dual tips)
- Under seat sub/amp combo
- In cabin filter? Our trucks don't have one?!

Any advice/info will be appreciated. Also if you have any other idea for cheap/easy things to do on down time please fill me in.

First picture was 2 days ago at the beach.
Second picture was the day I bought her.

Attachments

• IMG_8802.jpg
    IMG_8802.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 94
  • LAME7318.jpg
    LAME7318.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 107

Jerzey111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice truck. There are posts/answers to all of your questions in other posts. Cheers

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Might wanna look into upgrading your UCAs since you have the leveling spacers. Not guaranteed to happen but your ball joints could fail. Mine did after 18k with the 2.5 leveling spacer. Lots of people use Mevobtechs as a replacement , personally I'm running the ones from Zone off-road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
guarj17

guarj17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Might wanna look into upgrading your UCAs since you have the leveling spacers. Not guaranteed to happen but your ball joints could fail. Mine did after 18k with the 2.5 leveling spacer. Lots of people use Mevobtechs as a replacement , personally I'm running the ones from Zone off-road

Thank you for info. Will definitely keep an eye on them and add it to the list.

Rzrman, thank you sir, and sick truck. Looks great.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I traded a Wrangler for this Ram, a guy has to grow up sometime. I've always been a truck guy I don't know what I was thinking, the heep was purdy but useless, or is it purdy useless. I use the hell out of this truck, and my wife thinks it is the best vehicle we've owned. Welcome to the forum.

Yes Zone's are a popular upgrade for leveled trucks. I used coils spacer lift, and ended up moving over to bils. Ride is way better, here's the thread. After this year a year or two, Ram changed the front and the upper control arms are a problem when you level it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
guarj17

guarj17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear ya Burla. Thank you for the welcome.

Rzr, I saw in the under $100 thread that you did LED foot well lights and interior LED board, are there kits for this or did you wire them yourself? Easy to do?

Also, if anyone has a link or info on the license plate LED's and interior LED's it would be greatly appreciated. I tried searching and I'm finding a lot of people saying they did it but no actual links or anything. Thanks!

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rzr, I saw in the under $100 thread that you did LED foot well lights and interior LED board, are there kits for this or did you wire them yourself? Easy to do?
!

I believe..not 100%.....there is a footwell lighting kit available for the 13+ rams that can be purchased for pnp. I had to hardwire all mine because there wasn't anything ran for my year. It wasn't hard....more time consuming than anything.

The LED board I just purchased off amazon and it was just a simple light swap ...ill see if I can find the thread on this...

Here: http://www.ramforum.com/f42/holy_brightness-76373/

Last edited:
OP
OP
guarj17

guarj17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sweet. The one in the link in that thread is unavailable but I'll search for one. I'm trying to find a kit that comes with dome, map, visor, etc. all the lights in one kit so we'll see what happens!

Also going to search for the foot well pnp kit. That would be great as long as it stays looking clean. I hate wires showing.

Thanks for the info!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome, just a fyi on the tailgate since you said you are debadging. The big rams head has posts - so there are holes in the tailgate.

OP
OP
guarj17

guarj17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
welcome, just a fyi on the tailgate since you said you are debadging. The big rams head has posts - so there are holes in the tailgate.

Thank you quietpeen, and when you say the big ram head, I am hoping you're talking about the actual Ram logo in the middle and not the ram head on the "Big Horn" logo? I plan on taking the Big Horn/ram and the 4x4 off but leaving the main Ram logo.

Also, why'd this get moved to intros where people just say "welcome!" if the point of the thread was looking for information and advice on what I am going to do to the truck? Wouldn't model specific advice be given in a general discussion of that model? :hmm:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Thank you quietpeen, and when you say the big ram head, I am hoping you're talking about the actual Ram logo in the middle and not the ram head on the "Big Horn" logo? I plan on taking the Big Horn/ram and the 4x4 off but leaving the main Ram logo.

Also, why'd this get moved to intros where people just say "welcome!" if the point of the thread was looking for information and advice on what I am going to do to the truck? Wouldn't model specific advice be given in a general discussion of that model? :hmm:

yes i mean the ram logo in the middle. The bighorn badge will not have any holes behind it.

ok I will move it to the general section

OP
OP
guarj17

guarj17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yes i mean the ram logo in the middle. The bighorn badge will not have any holes behind it.

ok I will move it to the general section

Ah perfect you had me scared for a second on the holes.
And thank you for moving it hopefully I will get some better info here.

From reading through the forum, seems like intakes provide just a little noise difference huh? I guess I'll hold off.... lol

Found a thread on the tailgate LED light bar and definitely going to do this ASAP. Only thing I have a question on is, why the hell is the flexible one only $24.95? Should I get the stiff one for $59.95? What's the difference?

Flexible:
Redline FLX Flexible LED Tailgate Light Bar with Reverse - OPT7

Stiff:
Redline LED Tailgate Light Bar with Reverse - OPT7

Thanks.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
FIRST WELCOME and CONGRATS on your new RAM :) I have had mine a few months and LOVE it! PLEASE post pics of your fishing set up when you do it!
Let the Mods burn a hole in your wallet lol

Cnorrss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome! I traded a JKU Rubicon for my Ram...loved the jeep but wanted something better on the highway...As for cheap mods..Mine is now 2 months old and I have HID in the low and fogs (huge difference), debadged somewhat and plasti dipped the rest, added a trailer hitch (came with trailer brake but no hitch), LED licence lights and just mounted flush LED 30w back ups in the bumper...another huge help when backing up

Attachments

• 20170403_180833_LI.jpg
    20170403_180833_LI.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 30