talk about depreciation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I took my 14 qc 4wd to carmax with 23k just to see and they offered me 23. That was my honest exspectation I was hoping for closer to 26. The guy was pretty straight forward this is what we are buying these trucks for at auction. Needless to say I still have mine.

Ram82808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Try selling it by owner or check car max. Some dealers will **** you on trade ins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDrifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think to get an accurate read on a trade in your rig needs to be a few years away from new a least.

Trading in a rig no mater what kind, within the first couple years is a total gamble on value. It would all depend on the Dealers ability to flip or NOT that particular rig and make money.

Even though most dealerships do a trade with other dealerships to even out used inventory, it think you need to own it at least three years to get some considerable value.

My 2001 CTD worked out to be $235/month TCOO it cost me to own.

My 2012 1500 was $204/month Total Cost Of Ownership, TCOO.

My new 2016 2500 6.4 CCLB will probably(hopefully) be in the $260-280 range after ten years of ownership.

So hard to trade in a new rig and evaluate a good trade......probably biggest difficulty for a dealer doing a trade.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the dealer's reasoning is that new Express are going out at around 31000 so apparently they can't come close to that. but 21000??? that was ridiculous. their advice was go to CarMax, sell my truck where customers can't see a new Express for close to the price of what my used would sell and they may give me more. whatever...

I since spoke to my buddy who just wants a bicycle hauler. he is waiting to hear back on a promotion at work, if it goes through, he want's to buy my truck. Of course I'll probably give him a grand or two off bluebook considering the mods I did to the truck, definitely a good deal. then, I'll probably go with a 2500, not sure if I'll go RAM though at this point.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Just bought a 2014 Sport for $27K before taxes etc. Stickered new at $56K with 13,660 miles. Truck was built in June 2014. I have no idea about what transpired from the original sale to my purchasing same but the Carfax is dead clean with no rental or commercial use and one private owner with no repairs. Seems like a lot of change to me but it's why I buy vehicles a year or two old.

satxwy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
My girlfriend traded in her 2012 1500 Quad cab Hemi with 60k and got like $16,500 for it a couple months back, then they went and listed it for like $20,900. I was surprised they priced it so low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm surprised by that. I see so many post where a guy trades a 6 month to one year old truck and gets what he paid for it or more. I kinda think that's just a internet thing though. . ROTFLMAO.

I end up tossing the dealer 6000-7000.00 after lets say 18 months of ownership so yeah I can't figure out the guys that lose no $$$$$$$

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just bought a 2014 Sport for $27K before taxes etc. Stickered new at $56K with 13,660 miles. Truck was built in June 2014. I have no idea about what transpired from the original sale to my purchasing same but the Carfax is dead clean with no rental or commercial use and one private owner with no repairs. Seems like a lot of change to me but it's why I buy vehicles a year or two old.

again no way the first owner paid anything close to 56k. As an example my new R/T around these parts stickered for 45,6xx.xx, before I even opened my pie hole the dealer says to me 34,400.00. See what I mean:favorites13:.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I went to the dealer to look at some 2500s. found a Tradesman 2500 4x4 CC with 6.4 liter V8 that I liked. Drive it around, so much better than my 1500 6 speed. So I go to talk about price. My 2014 1500 Express with 14,500 miles is only worth $21000 for trade value....

looks like I'm riding this one out till my trans fails.

Three mistakes already. You basically showed interest then its end game.

I think I agree about your concern about depreciation. When I was looking for my Ram 1500, I looked for used examples first before eventually ending up buying new.

I did notice used 14 and 15 models back in July 2015 were being sold on the lot for around 25-28K Big horn and mainly tradesman express. with mileages of about 10-20K miles on them. So in essence, if they are asking that much for sale, the trade must have come in around the 21-24K mark when the dealers acquired them. I believe the dealers know that these trucks sell for around 5-10K below msrp at best new.

The other thing I learned, less luggage is always best when entering negotiations with car dealers. Meaning next time around I will no way trade a vehicle from supplying dealership. Makes room for more areas for them to **** you up on, to put it bluntly.

Last edited:

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the dealer's reasoning is that new Express are going out at around 31000 so apparently they can't come close to that. but 21000??? that was ridiculous. their advice was go to CarMax, sell my truck where customers can't see a new Express for close to the price of what my used would sell and they may give me more. whatever...

I since spoke to my buddy who just wants a bicycle hauler. he is waiting to hear back on a promotion at work, if it goes through, he want's to buy my truck. Of course I'll probably give him a grand or two off bluebook considering the mods I did to the truck, definitely a good deal. then, I'll probably go with a 2500, not sure if I'll go RAM though at this point.

4th mistake , selling to a buddy.:roflsquared:

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
4th mistake , selling to a buddy.:roflsquared:

I don't know that going to a dealer looking for a certain model, finding one I like and talking price are 3 mistakes. If I don't do any of these, I'll never look for the truck I want, never find one I like and never settle on a price. Bus pass I guess....

but I will agree with the 4th mistake. I always feel uneasy on this, but we've passed vehicles to each other in the past no issues. Plus I do all of his auto repairs in my shop anyway....

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know that going to a dealer looking for a certain model, finding one I like and talking price are 3 mistakes. If I don't do any of these, I'll never look for the truck I want, never find one I like and never settle on a price. Bus pass I guess....

but I will agree with the 4th mistake. I always feel uneasy on this, but we've passed vehicles to each other in the past no issues. Plus I do all of his auto repairs in my shop anyway....
I only mentioned that as I cared. That's all fella.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Galion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The problem with what you're saying is, nobody pays sticker price. Sticker don't mean squat. I got 10k.off my big horn that stickerd at 44k. So brand new big horn qc Loaded 4wd with 10 miles on it. for 34 and change and 0.% for 72 months. So it in no way Made sense for me to buy a used one.

You're right nobody pays sticker, be generous and take 12k off the sticker and it still cost 37K plus tax. So you're still looking at 40k out the door new. I paid 30k out the door including taxes, so the truck itself cost me $28,500. That's $10,000 in depreciation for it's first year (and that's not considering that when it was traded in obviously the dealer didn't give them 30k for it, they're not going to sell for a loss). That's the nature of new vehicles.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You're right nobody pays sticker, be generous and take 12k off the sticker and it still cost 37K plus tax. So you're still looking at 40k out the door new. I paid 30k out the door including taxes, so the truck itself cost me $28,500. That's $10,000 in depreciation for it's first year (and that's not considering that when it was traded in obviously the dealer didn't give them 30k for it, they're not going to sell for a loss). That's the nature of new vehicles.

I think your truck was more than a year old when you got it also. I would still rather have my brand new one, with the financing. Who knows you might of just paid cash for yours.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
Yeah, those used truck deals are really enticing, until down the road, you realize you just inherited someone else's problems.

Been there, done that.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it sounds like a typical dealer giving low ball offers. when i traded in my '13 v6 cc outdoorsman for my '15 cc laramie i was able to get 27k trade. it had just shy of 30kmiles.

they started at about 24k trade and i laughed. they knew i would go elsewhere and wanted my business so they moved.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, those used truck deals are really enticing, until down the road, you realize you just inherited someone else's problems.

Been there, done that.
I don't mind buying second hand vehicles, but when I was looking at buying a used RAM 1500, all of them from various sellers were ex rental trucks. Hertz, etc..

In the end I went new.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk