Talk me into/out of Rebel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
I am working on getting my wife a new Grand Cherokee and I'm using the possibility of upgrading my truck as well to sweeten the deal. I found a 2016 Rebel with most options brand new at another dealership that my guy is working on getting numbers for me if he can swap for it.

I currently have a 2013 Sport Crew (73,000 miles) with pretty much every option except a sunroof. I know the main differences between the rebel and the sport are the cloth seats instead of leather, rear axle (I have the 3:21), the transfer case (seems like some say the Rebel would be an upgrade haha), 17" wheels instead of 20", ride height, and of course the 4 corner air suspension.

Basically my question is, if the numbers come back and I'm happy with them, is there anything I need to know about the 2016 Rebel that should concern me? I am aware of potential cold air issues with the suspension but I plan on getting the lifetime warranty to account for any of that. Anything else or is it hit or miss like any other model? I've had a few issues with my truck but all in all its been great for a first truck.

Oh an I'm aware of the need to swap out the ECU to tune it, which kind of sucks but I'm not driving without a Hemifever tune ever again lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
sounds like you pretty much listed the differences.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So you are done with your truck? You are either done or not done with your truck, whenever your done there will be a new better thing awaiting. If it was me, I wouldn't bother with that trade until I had my truck longer then 3 or 4 years.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
the transfer case (seems like some say the Rebel would be an upgrade haha), 17" wheels instead of 20"

Stock Rebel 17"(285/70/17) tires are the same diameter(33") as the factory 20"(275/60/20)
The BW44-45 is the better choice of transfer case if you like actually go off-road and get in the sand, mud, snow, etc.

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Do it, you need more debt!
Haha I'm a CPA so I'm only doing it if the #s make sense. I stretched the financing out on my current RAM bc of low interest rates so I still have about 3.5 years left on the payments.

Either way my wife is going to need something new soon, but if I can use a second vehicle as leverage to work a really good deal on both, end up resetting warranty and mileage, and all I do is add 1.5 years of payments into what I'm already paying (in addition to whatever the payments will be on the wife's SUV), it makes sense for me.

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
sounds like you pretty much listed the differences.
I'm not looking for differences. I'm looking for people with 2016 Rebels to give me their good experiences or (hopefully not) horror stories.

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
So you are done with your truck? You are either done or not done with your truck, whenever your done there will be a new better thing awaiting. If it was me, I wouldn't bother with that trade until I had my truck longer then 3 or 4 years.
I'm actually not done with the truck but dealers can work really good deals for multiple vehicle purchases and also on an older model year still sitting on their lot, so it would maybe help me accelerate getting something new for my wife instead of waiting for my loan to be paid up.

I told my dealer to give me his bottom line on everything and that I have to be blown away by the price otherwise I'm just going to wait it out, basically because I'm still very happy with my truck. If it's not a home run for me I'll just wait another year or two and get her something new then. My assumption is that they'll be willing to let a 2016 go real cheap considering the 2018s will be out by the Fall.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'm about 1 1/2 months in to my 2016 Rebel that I bought as a new leftover. So far I totally love it. I was in a 2011 1500 Big Horn 5.7. Like you I wasn't really looking, just happened upon it. I got a deal that I just couldn't pass up, paid 34.6k for a 51k truck and they gave me 16k for my 2011. The ONLY thing I'm still trying to get used to is the 8-speed. There is 1 quirky thing that bugs me and I'm hoping it's software related. When coming to a nice slow gentle stop the tranny downshifts and makes the truck move forward just a bit, first time i felt it I thought it was my brakes slipping. I proved it out by doing some manual shifting. I've done some searches on it and have seen quite a few posts about it. 5.7L with 3.92's and the 8 speed.

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
I'm about 1 1/2 months in to my 2016 Rebel that I bought as a new leftover. So far I totally love it. I was in a 2011 1500 Big Horn 5.7. Like you I wasn't really looking, just happened upon it. I got a deal that I just couldn't pass up, paid 34.6k for a 51k truck and they gave me 16k for my 2011. The ONLY thing I'm still trying to get used to is the 8-speed. There is 1 quirky thing that bugs me and I'm hoping it's software related. When coming to a nice slow gentle stop the tranny downshifts and makes the truck move forward just a bit, first time i felt it I thought it was my brakes slipping. I proved it out by doing some manual shifting. I've done some searches on it and have seen quite a few posts about it. 5.7L with 3.92's and the 8 speed.
Hmm...I have the 8 speed on the sport and don't think I've felt that but I'll see if I notice anything later.

I'm looking for that exact same sort of deal. It's 53k mrsp leftover 2016 that I'm hoping will be about $36k. If that happens I'm pretty much going to try to squeeze a few more bucks out of my trade in and pull the trigger. He just quoted me $36.5k on the 2017 Cherokee Altitude ($40+k MSRP) but he's waiting on the Rebel still.

Everything else good with your new truck? Any issues with the air suspension or leaking 3rd brake light or anything like that? How are the seats? My Sport's seats are more comfortable than my old Lexus IS but I wasn't sure if cloth/vinyl vs Leather will make a huge difference on comfort.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
There is 1 quirky thing that bugs me and I'm hoping it's software related. When coming to a nice slow gentle stop the tranny downshifts and makes the truck move forward just a bit, first time i felt it I thought it was my brakes slipping. I proved it out by doing some manual shifting. I've done some searches on it and have seen quite a few posts about it. 5.7L with 3.92's and the 8 speed.

That is not just a rebel thing. My tuck does it too at times. I do have the 3.92's

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have a rebel but just do it as long as the numbers are good lol
How can you say no to that mean looking truck :favorites13:

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
I don't have a rebel but just do it as long as the numbers are good lol
How can you say no to that mean looking truck :favorites13:
It's the good thing about controlling the finances in my house and being a CPA.

"Honey, we can get you a new SUV now instead of waiting, but the numbers only work if I also get a new truck. Don't stress trying to figure it out...It's complicated."

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I traded my loaded 2014 Sport in for a Mopar 16 Rebel and love it. I got my Rebel at the beginning of December and it's been cold (below 20F) many times and I haven't had any issues with the suspension and it's used constantly. They are some things that I didn't have with the Rebel (such as sunroof, backup sensors, and front sensors) but I do not miss them at all. I love the 3.92, LSD, and non-AWD system.

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
I traded my loaded 2014 Sport in for a Mopar 16 Rebel and love it. I got my Rebel at the beginning of December and it's been cold (below 20F) many times and I haven't had any issues with the suspension and it's used constantly. They are some things that I didn't have with the Rebel (such as sunroof, backup sensors, and front sensors) but I do not miss them at all. I love the 3.92, LSD, and non-AWD system.
The Mopar Rebel has nicer rims and the Mopar CAI right? Those rims are sweet.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Everything else good with your new truck? Any issues with the air suspension or leaking 3rd brake light or anything like that? How are the seats? My Sport's seats are more comfortable than my old Lexus IS but I wasn't sure if cloth/vinyl vs Leather will make a huge difference on comfort.

Zero issues with it so far. Seats are very comfortable, they are not leather tho. They are part cloth/part vinyl, heated is nice. I have about 1400 miles on it now. Air suspension works perfectly. I totally love the stance of the truck. I ran the 5100 Bilstiens in my 2011 but the Rebel is just so much better. Numbers sound great on the Rebel but the Jeep seems high. Quick check shows website prices at around 18-20% off MSRP. My local dealer is imperialcars.com, check out their site for some price comparisons on the Jeep.

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Zero issues with it so far. Seats are very comfortable, they are not leather tho. They are part cloth/part vinyl, heated is nice. I have about 1400 miles on it now. Air suspension works perfectly. I totally love the stance of the truck. I ran the 5100 Bilstiens in my 2011 but the Rebel is just so much better. Numbers sound great on the Rebel but the Jeep seems high. Quick check shows website prices at around 18-20% off MSRP. My local dealer is imperialcars.com, check out their site for some price comparisons on the Jeep.
Where are you located though? Unfortunately it seems that dealers in NY tri state aren't offered the same rebates and incentives that a dealership in other areas can offer.

Edit: Oh I see you're in MA. Hmm...Wouldn't think the prices would be much different where you are. Usually the "Northeast" gets the same regional pricing.

Last edited:

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Personally, the concept of the rebel is badass, but... it's a bit ugly, and what's the point ? It's like they tried to make it a power wagon, gave it a nice new name... but left out anything that makes it " unique " really.

I'd wait things out if you can, I get you get a better deal, and if you truly get a better deal, and you don't just use that as an excuse, then, never pass it up, even more so if you're planning on swapping out anyways, it just makes sense. However, if the deal doesn't change much, i'd wait to the new year models to see if anything cute comes out!

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Personally, the concept of the rebel is badass, but... it's a bit ugly, and what's the point ? It's like they tried to make it a power wagon, gave it a nice new name... but left out anything that makes it " unique " really.

I'd wait things out if you can, I get you get a better deal, and if you truly get a better deal, and you don't just use that as an excuse, then, never pass it up, even more so if you're planning on swapping out anyways, it just makes sense. However, if the deal doesn't change much, i'd wait to the new year models to see if anything cute comes out!
When are all of the truck month deals? Usually September right?

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When are all of the truck month deals? Usually September right?

Not really, in december they were giving 20% off MSRP without negotiating , if you find a 2016 in mid / late feb, I assure you, you're going to get a good deal. Hell, their are dealers HERE with 2015 ram 2500's with a cummins that can be had for mid 30's, and we're talking laramies.