Teach Me "The Art Of The Deal".......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
Alright you guru's....

Yesterday I looked at a 2017 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 with the Express 26J Package.

Retail 45,650.00
discount 2,273.00
rebate / incentive 5750.00
--------------
TTL / Fees / 2800.69
---------------
trade 5000,00
---------------
Balance 35,427.69 I told him to turn this into 33,000.00 BUT
Additional Haggle 1,427.69 was his best
----------------

This works out to 39,000.00 Out The Door for an Express Crew with the 26J.

Reading around the forum, this still seems high, seems like some of you guys buy Bighorns for less than that.

They let me walk out to think about it.

What say you?

Last edited:

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2015 Big Horn Crew Cab was $35,000 before taxes. MSRP was right around $45,000. I have almost every option available except for 4wd and convenience package (keyless entry and push button start).

Even if the Express you're looking at has 4wd, that price seems high.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
You did well by walking out. Let them sit on it awhile. Visit some other local dealerships and see what they will do for you on your trade and the total deal. Never talk in terms of payment, it's too easy to hide things in a payment amount.

Agree on a total, out the door pricev your comfortable with and then worry about financing and payment. Get a quote from your local bank for financing rate and see if the dealer can do better.

Above all else, remember it's your hard earned money and your calling the shots. If they don't want to work with you, walk. After you have a few deals on paper, you can compare and see what a good deal really is. Give them a low out the door number. You can always go up to what you really want to pay. But can't go back down. If they want to sell it they will work with you.

End of calendar year is a good time to buy. They have sales quotas to hit. Good luck. Hope this helps

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Following this one for tips.

I looked a a 2017 sport in ignition orange 5.7 hemi 4x4
sticker was 51,*** they dropped it down to 45,500 I said I would think about it
This was mon Friday
they have called no less then 6 times, each time I let voice mail kick in.
I will wait a bit before calling them back.
PLUS
they want to give me 19,500 for my trade
2013 big horn 4x4 hemi quad cab.

I DONT need there truck, I would like it.

Chigurh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You might see if Dennis Dillon Ram has a comparable Ram on their website, might give you a range from which to expect to negotiate.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
My new Express was $39,*** I payed $27,000 for it, 4wd, QC 5.7 8sp.

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your getting $9500.00 off on a $45k truck...Go buy the truck

When you see people getting $12k+ off...would you be satisfied with $9,500 off? I know I wouldn't be. I'm not spend $34k (pre-tax) on something that I would have gotten for $32k if I'd bought it a week earlier (the end of the month).

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2015 Big Horn Crew Cab was $35,000 before taxes. MSRP was right around $45,000. I have almost every option available except for 4wd and convenience package (keyless entry and push button start).

Even if the Express you're looking at has 4wd, that price seems high.

This. I bought my 15 big horn with almost every option including 4x4, msrp was like 47.5k. I payed under 37k before taxes. There's usually better sales on big horns, that's why I got one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
FIRST thing DO NOT jump into any deal , like mentioned shop and wait! Use the web and see what others are selling for,close to you and anywhere. DO NOT take the first trade in quote, most will low ball you on the trade to make up for the discount they give, Use Kelly Blue Book and NADA for truck value
Remember DO NOT fall in love at first sight it will bite you in the butt, and if you lose the deal on 1 truck there are many more out there,,

Last edited:

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When you see people getting $12k+ off...would you be satisfied with $9,500 off? I know I wouldn't be. I'm not spend $34k (pre-tax) on something that I would have gotten for $32k if I'd bought it a week earlier (the end of the month).

Me either. You'll see more off the higher sticker models or inventory that has been on the lot 120 days. I'll pay a bit more if I can get exactly what I want.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Murphy. Not a bad deal at all. Look at higher from levels and see how you do. Higher sticky er price means more room for the dealer to play with.

mrmagoo_83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're timing isn't that great. This time of year is not known as the best time to buy. Dealers know it's Tax Return time and that is the time when a large number of folks try to buy vehicles because they now have a down payment. So dealers tend to negotiate less because if they don't sell it to you there will be ten other people dumb enough to pay that, or even higher. Right now you don't need the truck, and they do not need to sell it.

January and early February aren't too bad, but August/September and late December are the best times to buy. You can get large discounts and rebates at those times. The dealers need to move larger inventory to avoid penalties or clear the lot for the next year's lineup.

You need to get the dealer into a situation where it's beneficial to them to sell you the vehicle more so than another customer, then you can really negotiate. If they think you're just customer one in a line of ten that will look at the truck over the next week they won't care. But if you're the only one they're going to see that is really interested in that truck for the next little while, and they need to move it, then they'll do some crazy stuff to get you sold.

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with above. I bought mine 2013 in October after the 2014 came out. Unless ur looking for all the bells and whistles that will sell quick. just wait for them to get desperate. Sticker price for my tradesman CC hemi 2wd 36k. Walk out the door with taxes 29k. Being able to pay cash will reduce price and time at dealership

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

anthony2558

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Deals are a hard to assess, especially if theres a trade involved. I've had dealers give 10K off truck, only want to give me 35K for my trade. I just had another one offer me 37k for trade and 9400 of the truck. So shop around. What I can tell you is go closer towards the end of the month. Go later at night like 2hrs before closing. They may just break down and just wanna close another deal before they lock up. Shop around and do your research. The site Truecar can help a lot also.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

chrism1367

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Subbed for future use. I think over paid a little. I bought a 2013 express quad cab 4x4, 5.7, 6 SPD, 30k last November. I paid 23.3k, tried to haggle some but was told flat out no. Was supposedly a "no haggle" Dodge Jeep Chrysler dealership. I have already been looking for a month and was tired of going back and forth and said ok I'll take it. Prob bad idea but I was tired of going to dealers.

anthony2558

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sometimes looking to much is bad. Brain gets all twisted up, you start thinking you need options that you don't, but want... It's hard buying a new car. At a point you gotta say how much is my sanity really worth, and maybe not fight tooth and nail for that last 500$.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In my area, you can buy a bighorn cc 4wd hemi for about 36. You can get a express cc 4wd hemi for about 32. I would shop around online. Even if you have to fly somewhere and drive it back its well worth the effort. I bought a 2016 bighorn cc 4wd hemi for 31.8 last september.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're timing isn't that great. This time of year is not known as the best time to buy. Dealers know it's Tax Return time and that is the time when a large number of folks try to buy vehicles because they now have a down payment. So dealers tend to negotiate less because if they don't sell it to you there will be ten other people dumb enough to pay that, or even higher. Right now you don't need the truck, and they do not need to sell it.

January and early February aren't too bad, but August/September and late December are the best times to buy. You can get large discounts and rebates at those times. The dealers need to move larger inventory to avoid penalties or clear the lot for the next year's lineup.

You need to get the dealer into a situation where it's beneficial to them to sell you the vehicle more so than another customer, then you can really negotiate. If they think you're just customer one in a line of ten that will look at the truck over the next week they won't care. But if you're the only one they're going to see that is really interested in that truck for the next little while, and they need to move it, then they'll do some crazy stuff to get you sold.

Hell my local ram dealer that's a volume dealer has a massive sale going right now on 17s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel