Teach Me "The Art Of The Deal".......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hell my local ram dealer that's a volume dealer has a massive sale going right now on 17s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here in SC. They are advertising nearly $13k off 2017 big Horn 1500 CC's/4x4/Hemi with free RamBox upgrades until the end of the month.

Definitely shop around. You may even be able to snag a great deal on a 2016 still on the lot, but you are coming up on the end of the deals.
I bought my last 3 FCA new vehicles in
Nov 2013 (2013 Ram 4x4 Express Hemi/6spd $26.5k), - got $29k trade on ...

Mar 2014 (2013 Ram 4x4 SLT CC v6/8spd $29.4k), and

Feb 2017 (2016 Challenger SXT, 3.6/8spd, nearly loaded, leased 3yr/10k miles $3k down & $130/mo)

It's all about timing, shopping around and knowing what you 'can' get one for. (Great credit score helps a lot too).

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Subbed for future use. I think over paid a little. I bought a 2013 express quad cab 4x4, 5.7, 6 SPD, 30k last November. I paid 23.3k, tried to haggle some but was told flat out no. Was supposedly a "no haggle" Dodge Jeep Chrysler dealership. I have already been looking for a month and was tired of going back and forth and said ok I'll take it. Prob bad idea but I was tired of going to dealers.

Don't feel bad, that's not a bad deal at all. Your right, at some point you have to make a decision and go for it. If you like your truck, that's all that matters.

jarzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got 12k off MSRP for my 2017 night edition. No trade, just money down.

jrhoyt84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Random question here but, if I were to order a pickup just the way I want it, how do the incentives apply to that? Or is it a different situation because it was a special order thing?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
as soon as you drive that truck off the lot its really worth about 28000.so i would get as close to that as i could.i know they depreciate and the dealer has to make money but thats the truth of it.it sounds crazy but those numbers are in the ballpark.my 2016 express quad 4x4 listed for 40100 i bought it for 26100.its trade in value in real life is 22000.don't take less than fair market trade in and watch finance on jacking up a interest rate on you and don't take any service contract.factory mopar extended warranty is ok if you want it (i wouldn't but thats me)no way in hell take a aftermarket warranty.some salesmen on here may cry foul but this is a fair deal.

RamRoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep the upper hand. Even tell them you will be buying in the next (x) weeks and it is up to them if you buy from them. They need sales, you don't need a truck.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
I agree with doing your homework and trying to get the best deal possible. Remember though, there will ALWAYS Be someone who somehow managed to get a better deal than you.

"Hey I just got 40% off MSRP and got $10,000 more than my truck is worth on trade" (I always laugh at these ones.)

Seriously though, as long as you're happy with the deal you got, that's all that matters.

Whatever you do, when you have finished making the deal and are home with your new truck, DON'T look at what others are paying. Just be happy with your deal.

My $0.02

SilverRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Alright you guru's....

Yesterday I looked at a 2017 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 with the Express 26J Package.

Retail 45,650.00
discount 2,273.00
rebate / incentive 5750.00
--------------
TTL / Fees / 2800.69
---------------
trade 5000,00
---------------
Balance 35,427.69 I told him to turn this into 33,000.00 BUT
Additional Haggle 1,427.69 was his best
----------------

This works out to 39,000.00 Out The Door for an Express Crew with the 26J.

Reading around the forum, this still seems high, seems like some of you guys buy Bighorns for less than that.

They let me walk out to think about it.

What say you?

If you are that close on the deal and you want that extra $1000, have them add it to your trade. They still sell the truck for the same amount but you get that $1000 off. If they say no, walk out the door and there is a good chance they will stop you before you leave.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Years ago, I sold cars at a Lincoln dealership, ever wondered what they're talking about in that back room to "see if my manager" will approve this deal? They're talking about 1) Do you qualify for the loan if financing, or if you have cash and 2) HOW BAD DO YOU WANT THIS VEHICLE, ALLWAYS be on the fence about if you really "want" this vehicle and be willing to walk, if they let you walk away off the lot, you've beat their bottom price. If they call you back, there's more money on the table to be had. Sometimes the salesman actually makes no money or what's called a "mini" meaning he only makes $100, it's about moving volume and "floor plan'. Floor Plan is what the dealership pays to keep the vehicle on the lot (no, they don't get them for free) ask for the vehicle that's been on the lot the longest because it's cost them the most in "floor plan" and they will basically move it to get rid of it because they actually may be losing money on it at that point. Dealers are allotted cars based on "volume movement" the more you move, the more you get with a better floor plan. Never show excitement, I'm just "looking". When, and they will, ask you, "If I can put you in this car today, can we have a deal" your reply should be, "I not sure, just kicking tires today" or something to that affect. Remember, you want to be able to walk off the lot to find there bottom dollar, and do your home work, vehicles bring different amounts based on zip code and area. NEVER let them run a credit check UNTIL your ready to buy, if financing. It will lower your credit score and they can see if your shopping. I hope this helps. Let me know if I can help, because there's some things about "Trade In" that you should know if you are.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
37k for a Tradesman? Run away. I visited a dealer the other day just to get the $75 gift card and they offered me a Limited for 44k with no haggling.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
One more top for you:

The game isn't over after you agreed on the final price with them. You then will go to the finance guy, and that big dude is also a professional to get anything he can from you - watch your pockets while in his office! Especially if you're financing through them.

They promised me 4.5% Apr, while knowing that I can qualify for 3%, but then told me that they can get me special 3% rate if I give up 1k rebate and buy their ****** 3rd party Century warranty... To which I agreed because I was young and stupid.

So, watch for the finance guy... He can get back all the savings that you worked hard with the sales guys. Don't rush any decisions and bring your smart friends and family to just go with you and double check your decisions that they'll be pushing on you.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
One more top for you:

The game isn't over after you agreed on the final price with them. You then will go to the finance guy, and that big dude is also a professional to get anything he can from you - watch your pockets while in his office! Especially if you're financing through them.

They promised me 4.5% Apr, while knowing that I can qualify for 3%, but then told me that they can get me special 3% rate if I give up 1k rebate and buy their ****** 3rd party Century warranty... To which I agreed because I was young and stupid.

So, watch for the finance guy... He can get back all the savings that you worked hard with the sales guys. Don't rush any decisions and bring your smart friends and family to just go with you and double check your decisions that they'll be pushing on you.

OP, Print this out and take it with you. If you think you're going to buy ANYTHING in the finance office take a break and go read it. Repeat as needed.

Finance guys are masters at screwing you.

AtomicDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If this helps my 17 Big Horn crew cab was 48,340
Bought it for $36,500. Not including TTL

Not a smoking deal, but a fair deal that came with minimal pain and no BS.

OP
OP
Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
If this helps my 17 Big Horn crew cab was 48,340
Bought it for $36,500. Not including TTL

Not a smoking deal, but a fair deal that came with minimal pain and no BS.

That's more in line with my thinking. 39/40 out the door should buy a Bighorn pretty well dressed.

I have great credit and a huge pile of cash to go with the trade. This is a small town dealer, nice guys, but not a huge volume apparently.

I'm going to chill a few days and look around online more. This day job thing is so damned time consuming........

I worry about buying one 3 hours away in a larger town/market, and then having an issue with it down the line and needing to use my local dealer. I don't know why that would bother me, but it kinda does.

768mph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try to locate a 20% off deal. They are around.

I found a 2016 Sport CC with all options other than trailer brake.
3.92 rear LSD, heated/cooled seats, subwoofer, Parking sensors, sunroof, etc.

Sticker was 51K but walked out at $36,850 drive out.

I had to travel a couple hours but worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP, Print this out and take it with you. If you think you're going to buy ANYTHING in the finance office take a break and go read it. Repeat as needed.

Finance guys are masters at screwing you.

Absolutely, they attend classes on how to "up-sale" you!

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also, if they offer you x amount in cash back or x amount in interest, you're going to pay the same either way, they've already done the math and it equals the same.