Thank You for the advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After you folks were quick to give me some heads up on a used 1 ton I was thinking of purchasing, I decided against it because , even with only 12k Miles on it, it would have zero factory warranty and that was a chance I couldnt take.. So I did the next best thing, and went new.. I came home last night with a left over new 2016 ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 with the 8 foot bed and the 6.4.
It should pull my 6K pound camper just fine!new%20dodge_zpsv7bkqslo.jpg"]new%20dodge_zpsv7bkqslo.jpg[/URL]

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase. That truck should tow your camper just fine.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Nice truck, good for you! I am very pro buying new instead of a couple years old. You get a new truck, a full warranty, better interest rate, incentives, higher resale when you are done with it because it hasn't been depreciating for a few years before you get it. And if you can be flexible and patient the left over trucks have great deals. And, you get a NEW truck, no prior history, issues, or potential abuse. Congratulations!

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the congrats guys.. Now I have to figure out how everything works.
TPMS.. seems its telling me to fill the rear to 80 pounds? it is reading all 4 tires in the 66-69 pound range..

Pleasantly surprised with the fuel economy coming home, but trucks like this aren't about that.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Nice Truck!

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now comes the hard part, accessories. What to do first?

RUNNING BOARDS!.. My 5'3 wife says they have to be on by the weekend..L

Every other one I looked at had the boards already installed, accept this one, going at lunch time today to look at some! I don't mind' we worked out a wonderful deal on other important things so I can swing the boards myself!

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice truck, congrats on your new ride

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have Raptor stainless steel running boards. Not for everybody but these and a good set of mud flaps will keep about everything off your truck. stone chips on the fenders, rockers, and bedside will be virtually impossible. Look at a truck with steps not running boards and there are chips and mud up the side of it.
https://www.realtruck.com/raptor-st...Running+Boards&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc

I like those, they look nice! Im currently in the Stainless or Chrome frame of mind.. Think Black Chrome would look better. truck wont be off road hardly at all, may see some mud now and then from a gravel road ont he way to a campground..

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice truck, good for you! I am very pro buying new instead of a couple years old. You get a new truck, a full warranty, better interest rate, incentives, higher resale when you are done with it because it hasn't been depreciating for a few years before you get it. And if you can be flexible and patient the left over trucks have great deals. And, you get a NEW truck, no prior history, issues, or potential abuse. Congratulations!

I say this all the time when friends are looking at buying a new or used car. To me there is little sense in buying a lightly used (under 30k miles, 2-3 years old) vehicle and it is much better to go new. Unless finances are an issue at least. I will likely always buy new when I'm upgrading or changing vehicles an the only time I'd go used is if I'm getting something older where the goal is just to get it cheap and have it be reliable - like a first car for my kids or whatever.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I say this all the time when friends are looking at buying a new or used car. To me there is little sense in buying a lightly used (under 30k miles, 2-3 years old) vehicle and it is much better to go new. Unless finances are an issue at least. I will likely always buy new when I'm upgrading or changing vehicles an the only time I'd go used is if I'm getting something older where the goal is just to get it cheap and have it be reliable - like a first car for my kids or whatever.

For a daily driver or an inexpensive car your paying cash for sure, I buy used too. If its 5 years old or less, the savings just isn't there when you add it up. Plus, a lot of those 2-3 year old cars are lease turn in's. I would never knowingly buy a lease turn in unless I personally knew the previous owner. I know way to many leasers that beat the crap out of them knowing its going back. Back in the 90's a friend leased a V-8 thunderbird. He burned all 4 stock tires off it, bought 4 more, cooked those, and put a decent used set on to turn it in. The only oil change it got was before turn in also. We are older and more responsible now but not everyone else is. A local Ford dealer had an f150 parked in their employee lot years back that had a window decal that said 'Drive it like you leased it". That's got to tell you something.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sexy truck, WAYYYYY more truck than you needed for that 6k camper though, at least you get to enjoy the open road without dying of random acts of ******* 18 wheels shooting past you and causing you to poop yourself :)

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
congrats.your right no way i would buy a vehicle with only 12000 miles with no warranty.and i bet no clunk in the new truck either.

Topped

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Congrats on that beautiful truck!

I know you said you were pleasantly surprised with the mileage....can you share what kind of mileage you've been seeing thus far?

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

TPMS.. seems its telling me to fill the rear to 80 pounds? it is reading all 4 tires in the 66-69 pound range..

Pleasantly surprised with the fuel economy coming home, but trucks like this aren't about that.

TPMS is stupid. Run the tires up to max and get the light to go out. Then keep them at 70 or higher and the light will stay off. 60 or 65 on the fronts. Cant remember. I ignore it.

Or, if you want to keep you fillings intact deal with the light and keep the pressures lower until needed.

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The recommended PSI assumes you are hauling max payload. When I run 80 in the rear the truck rides really stiff (unloaded). I hang a 1k V plow on my front during winter and pull a 6K TT all summer (with weight dist hitch). I found the sweet spot to be 70lbs all around.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf