Is there a better way to buy? I am looking for a *very* specific used truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paustin

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Evening folks,

I am looking for a very specific truck to pull a 43', 24k 5th wheel. I'm looking for a better way to purchase it. Based on info I have received here, I am using CarGurus to find a listing of possible trucks. However, CarGurus does not list all of the details that I need so I have to combine it with the RamTrucks.com 'Equipment Listing', and look up each truck in the hopes that I can find one truck in the hundreds that meets my needs.

It is really a lot of work bouncing back between the sites trying to find what I need. Is there a better way? I talked with a friend who had dealerships call him. Is that something that might work? I'd appreciate any assistance.

Specifically I am looking for 2013+ Dodge Ram
- Dually
- Diesal Cummins 6.7
- Aisin automatic transmission
- 8ft bed (not the 6'4")
- Extended cab (dont care if it is a SLT, Big Horn, etc, just need a back seat)

Like to have, in descending order of interest
- Tow package
- 5th wheel hookup (Ball in the truck)
- Don't care about color, style, or cosmetic condition. The mechanics need to be solid.

CDNUSER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Use an auto broker. Sorta like a real estate agent for cars. My co worker won the lottery and badly wanted "the blue devil" in a certain color and options. They mainly deal with high end cars but will track down any vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used True Car to find mine. Then after it located the Ram I wanted I went on the dealers site and verified it was the right truck before I went to see it.

Good luck

OP
OP
P

paustin

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I used True Car to find mine.

Thanks but TrueCar is even more limited than CarGurus. You can only specify 250 miles, cannot specify DRW, most of the pick-lists only let you select one choice, etc. Thanks though.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The hardest thing on your list will likely be the extended cab rather than the crew cab as it seems 90% are built. I think the tow package with the DRW Aisin is pretty much a given.

The best chance is just getting online through all the sites - car ones as well as Craigslist with keywords.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Evening folks,

I am looking for a very specific truck to pull a 43', 24k 5th wheel. I'm looking for a better way to purchase it. Based on info I have received here, I am using CarGurus to find a listing of possible trucks. However, CarGurus does not list all of the details that I need so I have to combine it with the RamTrucks.com 'Equipment Listing', and look up each truck in the hopes that I can find one truck in the hundreds that meets my needs.

It is really a lot of work bouncing back between the sites trying to find what I need. Is there a better way? I talked with a friend who had dealerships call him. Is that something that might work? I'd appreciate any assistance.

Specifically I am looking for 2013+ Dodge Ram
- Dually
- Diesal Cummins 6.7
- Aisin automatic transmission
- 8ft bed (not the 6'4")
- Extended cab (dont care if it is a SLT, Big Horn, etc, just need a back seat)

Like to have, in descending order of interest
- Tow package
- 5th wheel hookup (Ball in the truck)
- Don't care about color, style, or cosmetic condition. The mechanics need to be solid.

if it helps, your only cab option for a dually with an 8ft bed and a back seat is a crew cab.

your biggest hurdle is going to be finding 4.10's i think. im assuming you dont want to order a new truck?

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I used Cars.com and Autotrader to be honest. You can get real selective on your searches. Then once I found a truck I went to the dealers site and looked there. Then I pulled VIN and looked up options that weren't listed. I wasnt as selective as you are but wanted a 2500 6.4 Black Appearance Group CC 4x4 with the 8.4 and found three in a day.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'd keep checking VINs at Dodge's site as they have the most correct info.

There's no dealer, car buying service, etc...that will have such comprehensive information.

Just keep searching...you'll find it.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with some sort of broker. I know when I worked at a Chevy dealer we would search other inventories for clients.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Cars and carguru's is best really..

But these are going to be hard to specify in any search.
- 8ft bed (not the 6'4")
- Extended cab

TruckNoob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Give Sidcoauto.com a call. They are a "volumless car dealership". That is, they search auto auctions around the US for customers. I have bought 2 cars from them and really like them a lot. If anybody can help they can.

reindeerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2002
Engine
I'm picky when buying used vehicles. I want to choose color and drivetrain as well as a few other things. Found my last four vehicles by using Auto Trader.

TruckNoob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
When we bought our Honda Pilot from Sidco Auto we told them we wanted a 2-3 year old with under 25,000 miles. We gave them 3 colors, told them the trim level, leather seats and a few other small details. They told us about how long it would take given how many similar models go up for sale each month and gave us an estimate of the price. We put a $500 deposit down and 2 1/2 months later they found one that fit everything we wanted but only had cloth seats, which they would cover with leather. After all was said and done, we got a 2 year old Pilot with 17,000 miles that was about $1,000 less than they quoted and was about $5,000 less than similar models at dealerships.

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
I used Cars.com and Autotrader to be honest. You can get real selective on your searches. Then once I found a truck I went to the dealers site and looked there. Then I pulled VIN and looked up options that weren't listed. I wasnt as selective as you are but wanted a 2500 6.4 Black Appearance Group CC 4x4 with the 8.4 and found three in a day.

I concur with the statement above. I used cars.com. Their filter allows you to get very specific. Also, in the cars.com ad there is a link to the dealerships website. I was also looking for something very specific: Used 2015 -2016 Laramie, 6 cylinder with convenience package. with low millage. Closest one I could find was 750 miles away. Ended up buying a new one!

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
Were you aware that you can search vehicles on Car Fax? I'm not sure how many details you can search but at least you'll know if the used truck has been in a crash as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk