Is there a way to keep my bedliner down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

Hemipower95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This is what a drop in bed liner will do.

Damn. This is what it looks like under the bedliner.i cleaned one line section to show how it currently looks.that is dirt under there not rust. For now.i might just have to install line-x.

Attachments

• 20160513_114351.jpg
    20160513_114351.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 50

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
i did rhino ONLY because the dealer was so close. i wanted line-x a little more but didnt want to drive that far to do it....or warranty it. the NEW rhino liners really are really good. the original one was crap. If you go rhino make sure you get the hot spray, latest greatest stuff. the rhino is closer to a hard plastic vs the "grippier" Line-x (I dont like the grippier texture). Line-x is also thicker.

the rhino is a little thinner than i like but that is what the warranty is for. they say the new stuff will be about .125" or more. In some spots it is .125" MAX. other spots it is closer to .09. it all depends on the guy that is spraying it.

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Line-x premium which is the basic linex with a uv coating so it looks new and "wet". Easier to clean and wont fade if you dont have a tonneau ran me about 720. My linex place was expensive my dads cost about 100 less in ohio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
spray in liner imo... too many issues with water getting trapped under the plastic ones. Good luck!

2000GM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Having no liner is better in the long run than a plastic drop in. Truck bed floors and side walls are galvanized steel. Even if scratched to bear metal, the worst that will happen is a light haze of surface rust. I had no liner in my '07 F150 for 8 years and yes the paint inside the bed was almost completely scuffed up to a dull blue (factory paint color) and there were many deep scrapes and gouges, there was only a few spots of light surface rust on the really deep ones. It would rub right off with a rag.

The problem is that with a plastic liner moving and shaking around, even just a tiny bit, the paint gets worn away, but also then any moisture that gets trapped under there stays for a long time. It can't air-dry. The moisture pushes the galvanized steel beyond its corrosion resistance.

If you only plan to keep a truck a few years, than it might not really be a concern. I got a steal of a deal on a drop in so I popped it in there for now. In a year or so if I decide I'm keeping it for the long haul, I'll pop it out and get it sprayed.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The drop in liners are easy to install and uninstall, why not drop it in for a certain load and then remove it. Maybe a storage issue I guess.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The drop in liners are easy to install and uninstall, why not drop it in for a certain load and then remove it. Maybe a storage issue I guess.

connivance maybe... if you use your bed weekly that may get annoying. otherwise it could work just fine. I always have something back there so i wouldn't want to do it that way.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
connivance maybe... if you use your bed weekly that may get annoying. otherwise it could work just fine. I always have something back there so i wouldn't want to do it that way.

I understand completely, doesn't work for everybody.

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Aside from some industrial adhesive. Id say sell that thing and get a line-x if you can swing it. Those things hold water and cause rust and scratching

well before they spray line-x or a rhino liner, you do know they take a 7" sanding disc to your entire bed, right?

GoatLocker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I dont see how it will be a warranty, issue.enlighten me.

I'm assuming your 2015 truck is still under the "bumper to bumper" warranty, and the truck came with the bed liner. Is there any part of your truck where deformation like that is acceptable? The hood? Fenders? Dash? Grill? Fender flares? If you would not accept any other part of your truck doing this, why is it OK for the bed liner? You paid good money for that bed liner. You can just accept a shoddy product, or tell the dealer it is not acceptable and have him fix it. Personally, I would expect the dealer to fix it. The down-side is that the fix is probably just a new bed liner.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
well before they spray line-x or a rhino liner, you do know they take a 7" sanding disc to your entire bed, right?
either a sander and/or a chemical prep, it is part of the process to ensure good adhesion of the spray on liner.
The spray on liners are warrantied for life and far superior than a drop in liner.
Even if my truck would have came with a drop in liner, I would take it out and have a Rhino or Line-X sprayed in.

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea i know they scuff if to make it adhere however its not going to warp or retain water under it so it wont rust

Jetsfan122

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express Crew Cab White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't mean to hijack the thread , but would a tonneau cover help protect potential rust issues ? I purchased a '16 Ram 1500 express about a. month ago with the plastic bed liner but I also keep a tonneau cover on 24/7. There have been numerous rain storms with no water as of yet in the bed. Summer's here in NY are very humid. Would the humidity cause potential rust issues ? When I had the liner installed in lieu of a spray in one , I did not think of potential rust issues. I plan on keeping the truck for a long time. I guess I should peridoically check under the liner for signs of rust ?

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone 2nd this claim on rusting and scratching? Not saying you're wrong.Im not opposed to the idea of getting a line-x if that's the case.

Damn right, I will! The bed is one of the biggest culprits for rust damage. I'm having the exact same problem as you and that liner is being replaced by Line-X this summer for sure. Expensive? Yeah but the alternative is worse.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I don't mean to hijack the thread , but would a tonneau cover help protect potential rust issues ? I purchased a '16 Ram 1500 express about a. month ago with the plastic bed liner but I also keep a tonneau cover on 24/7.
The problem with a drop in liner is they constantly move around and will eventually wear the paint off in spots of the bed. If you plan on keeping the truck for a while, get a sprayed in liner.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Line-x all the way
only reason I don't have a line x now is that my truck came with a spray in liner.
drop in liners SUCK (just my thoughts on this)

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
either a sander and/or a chemical prep, it is part of the process to ensure good adhesion of the spray on liner.
The spray on liners are warrantied for life and far superior than a drop in liner.
Even if my truck would have came with a drop in liner, I would take it out and have a Rhino or Line-X sprayed in.

oh no im just letting people now if their bed is scratched up and they are looking to do a spray in liner, its not a big deal. assuming they do it before it rusts.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
a076c28065e5efd89cf9368eed35c5e9.jpg

Ive had both. For some reason, I like the drop-in liner better?

With the spray in liner, I think I was always just extra careful because I was worried about chipping it (or the item I'm transporting).. With the plastic, I just throw **** back there like it dont matter.. And heavy stuff slides easier..

IMO