Thinking about trading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, like the title says, I'm thinking about trading my truck in and upgrading to a cummins. Ever since I got this truck I've always said my next one will be a cummins but that it wouldn't happen until I at least had it paid off. But as time goes on, I talk about it more and more guys at work are ditching their old gassers and going diesel. I've already weighed the pros and cons and of course, there really aren't any cons....just the fact it'll take double the cash to fill that big ol tank but that one tank will last a lot longer than one tank in a hemi, lol.

If I do it, it probably wont be for a couple months because I need to save up more money for a decent down payment to go along with it and I need to have some fall back cash because I'll probably be moving to another house around the same time I'd be looking at getting the truck.

I haven't made my mind up with new or used but what I would definitely like to do is get a flame red outdoorsman with the gray two tone. Then a little while after I get it, I would take it in to get all the gray painted black but the grille would get the red boarder and black cross hairs. I'd like to stick to my color because then I could transfer my JJ retro heads and fogs over to the new truck and I'd be rocking my reb/black combo. It'd be pretty badass.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It is a better truck, I wished I would have bit the bullet too, but I'm going to be in the 1500 for a while.

KLRpanda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
do what ya gotta do. i'm in the same boat. I love my 1500 but have wanted to go with a cummins for a long long time 2005 to be exact. main reason I haven't....I keep finding steals on newer trucks and they are always 1500's lol

Gtsum27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
agreed. I bought my 1500 laramie in march and am already wanting to get rid of it and go to a diesel (laramie longhorn or king ranch F250). The dealers discount the new ones so much though that it is going to be painful to get out of it. I called my guy the other day and asked what it would take to get out of mine into the cummins (I have 6000 miles on mine) and they were nice enough to offer me 39 on trade on in...I owe less than that, but still.....with the cummins around 62k list, I am going to wait until later this year and see if I cant find one at year end

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Once you go Diesel/Cummins your never go back!!!

All Diesel Family here!!

:happy107::happy107::happy107:

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Trust me you're not the only one who has these thoughts..lol! I keep thinking about getting into a Cummins too, and if I found a good deal and got a decent trade in value on mine I wouldnt hesitate making the switch!!

Kelli25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Cummins is awesome. And no doubt you would be super happy.

Just a word of advise though...

Clean your truck, take pics, and post it up for sell in a few different places. You said you were gonna save up for a bit anyway. So it doesnt really slow you down. I just know from experience how horrible your trade in is going to be compared to what you can get if you sell it yourself. Your truck is really nice and very custom. This generally hurts trade in but helps selling outright. There are always exceptions of course.

Either way, good luck my friend!!

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wow.... lots of guys lately ditching their hemi's for diesels. i have thought about it as well. if i pull the trigger on getting rid of my RCSB, next one will be a CC cummins

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Do you need it? ;)

I would love one.....but for my drive, I'd kill a CTD.

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have thought about it over and over again. Would love to have a cummins. But being in NY and having inspection I could not do the things I would want to do with the truck (dpf delete) the only person that I could have taken it too to pass me got busted for passing inspections on guys with no dpf and now refuses to do it.

People have told me just put the old exhaust and dpf before you inspect it.... I'm sorry if I was to do the dpf kit I would not want "clamps and fasteners holding things together because I would build that cummins to do 1 thing. Go fast lol.

NY is really cracking down on the diesel scene and several of my friends have got pretty large tickets with all this epa **** I wouldn't be able to have any fun and build the truck how I want.

if you have no worries about stuff like that then I'd say go for it!

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd also love to swap up to a Crew Cab Cummins.
Every week I drive to my 'city apartment' for the weekend, which is 100 miles each way.

I'd love to have a heavier truck (they cruise better on the highway) not to mention getting a 4wd. I think that'd be often enough to keep the DPF nice n clean.

The dog would love to have the whole back to himself too!

NavyGuy2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I had a 2006 2500 MegaCab with the 5.9 Cummins, 4x4, LOVED that truck, it was my baby. But after my wife and I had our actual baby I had to lower some bills and $557 a month on the truck plus $150-180 a month in fuel was a bit much on a Military salary with a kid...LOL Traded her in my my Charger. I love the car but I miss my truck like crazy! I have been kinda kicking around trading my Charger and my '99 1500 Sport on a new 1500 Ram, would love another diesel but I cant afford that much...LOL

kcbigbadram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
if you can get a decent amount out of your current truck i would do it. hell i did do it about 4 months ago. i figured i still gotta pay for a truck so i might as well just pay for the one i really wanted.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Loved my Hemi but really love my Cummins. Be careful if you go looking, no telling what you might come home with ;) You might be surprised at the offers some dealers are making to move their 2500s.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have had these thoughts on so many occasions.....my next truck will definitely be a diesel. Before I bought this truck all I had been doing was looking at diesels. Drove a 1500 Hemi and decided if I was going to drop that kind of money on a truck may as well buy new and just get a 1500. Do I regret it? All the time.

Want a diesel? Go for it.

Scjon03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Get what you really want. Or yeah that buyers remorse will set in. I went from a 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn and got a 2013 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie. It's great, big and powerful. Getting a Mega Cab is sooo roomy from the Quad Cab. The leg room is so much. I waited for I really wanted and got it. My last truck I settle for what they had and didn't waited. And traded it in after two years. The sound of the diesel and the turbo makes you smile every time you hear it.

You got to do what makes you happy.

OP
OP
2K10HemiRam

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you need it? ;)

I would love one.....but for my drive, I'd kill a CTD.

Do I need it? aw hell no, lol. But I've wanted one for a long time, even before buying this one, and that buyers remorse someone mentioned is kicking in more and more everyday now as I see more people buying them, being really happy with their choice, and although I love my hemi....that power would be amazing.