Thinking about trading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NavyGuy2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Ok, so the Wife got a new car the other day, traded her Van in on a 2013 Journey Crew, and while we were there we got to talking about selling my '99 1500 and trading my Charger plus the cash down on on a Ram and consoldiating our vehicles.

We found a 2013 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4. It was their Demo model aparently, has 3,800 miles on it. They have it marked down to $36,000, full manufactures waranty still in effect. It still looks like it just rolled off the line, other then the milage you'd never know. The salesmen sent us a copy of the invoice, they have had it since November last year.

What would be a good starting point for negoations? My Father-in-law sugested treating it like a used truck, which to me isnt a bad idea, given the millage. I looked up KBB on a used 2013 and low retail was right at 28,900.

On a side note, what is the deal with deleting the trailer hitch! I;ve looked at a lot of window stickers that show it in the standard fetures but in the options it has it deleted!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I agree, treat it like it's used,,,expect at least $10k off a new window stickered one, and now assume mileage. They would if you traded it in right? So shoot low, you can always go up...plan to walk, they'll call you back in....

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can certainly tell you that driving a Laramie every day will be way nicer than a Charger.
I can also tell you that the new Ram will do anything 'truck' your '99 did 20x better.

That is, unless you horse beat your vehicles offroad.

I think with 3,800 miles on the truck, it's downright a used truck.
I think something in the 30-33k range would be pretty fair.
Not to mention, 2013s are getting old, '14s will be on the lot very soon.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
That's not a horrible price, but I think they can do better. It doesn't have the A8 so push it like you really wanted one with the A8 and see if they'll budge.

Personally, I'd hold out for the A8, but that's just me.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like the others said, you have a few things going for you
-Mileage making it a used vehicle whether they like it stated that way or not
-'14s coming soon
-End of the month
-No A8 (or any other options you COULD want, but could live without, and simply use as a bargaining chip).

Last year I got tired of waiting for salesmen to come back with a price, sitting around listening to their blabbing so I walked out in the middle of the sales manager's "this really is the best we can do" speech and he CHASED us as we drove past the front door on our way out the lot. He handed us his own bus. card and we had a call waiting for us at home meeting that price I had been told was unrealistic a few minutes ago. I was even a ***** to the guy and we got what we wanted.
Don't EVER let them have the upper hand, or be a sucker they laugh about as you drive away. Either they'll do the deal and make money or they won't do the deal. Their choice.

EDIT- I forgot- we actually bought our truck from another dealer after that, who knocked off the paperwork fees ($500) from the price we got above. It got better and better.

OP
OP
N

NavyGuy2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
This truck has a lot of the options that my Charger has now, Heated and ventilated seats, 8.4, dual zone climate, power heated mirriors, moon roof stuff like that and a few that it dosent, like the Nav, Backup camera, heated stearing wheel.

I dont offroad hardly at all, maybe the occasional run up an old logging trail to a quary to go shooting but its pretty flat. The '99 I dont run very hard, haul a load of firewood every now and again, pull my little 17' fishing boat, dump runs ect.

We're talking with the dealership now, we talked actually with the owner yesterday, he's supposed to call us back today. They sold a similar one, a few less options, a few days ago that they had listed for 34k. My thinking is that as far as I'm concerned its used, it may not have been titled, but they used it, got some use out of it, so why sould I pay for their use. Like Gray said, they'd use the milage to low-ball me if I were trying to trade it, so why not!

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't worry about it being a Demo. I have bought one or 2. Demos are still treated as "new". They have never been titled. They should be discounted heavily. Soon, you should be able to get $10K off any new Laramie. It's near that time of year. I'd hold out also.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This truck has a lot of the options that my Charger has now, Heated and ventilated seats, 8.4, dual zone climate, power heated mirriors, moon roof stuff like that and a few that it dosent, like the Nav, Backup camera, heated stearing wheel.

I dont offroad hardly at all, maybe the occasional run up an old logging trail to a quary to go shooting but its pretty flat. The '99 I dont run very hard, haul a load of firewood every now and again, pull my little 17' fishing boat, dump runs ect.

We're talking with the dealership now, we talked actually with the owner yesterday, he's supposed to call us back today. They sold a similar one, a few less options, a few days ago that they had listed for 34k. My thinking is that as far as I'm concerned its used, it may not have been titled, but they used it, got some use out of it, so why sould I pay for their use. Like Gray said, they'd use the milage to low-ball me if I were trying to trade it, so why not!
Use the calendar to your advantage. The 28th and 29th of this month, the 30th of next month and the 29, 30, 31 of October are make or break days for quota and sales manager gross. October in particular is panic time as the new 2014s start to arrive by the truckload.
So look at a used truck first, then let the sales guy work you over to the new ones. Be prepared to walk, maybe offer $29K. If you're lucky you'll have to only meet then at $30K.

OP
OP
N

NavyGuy2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I'm not worried about it being a Demo, especially as the waranty dosent start until I sign the paperwork. I was more wondering about how deep I could go. 28-30OTD is kinda what I was thinking about offering, glad to hear that I wasnt completly out of my mind! LOL

I'm deffinatly not afraid to walk, and I'm not above playing dealerships aginst eachother as well! When my Wife was trying to get her new car she had 5 of them dancing around at one point...LOL

shawnb1043

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like you said dont be afraid to walk or let them know you dont need a new vehicle and you are willing to wait as long as it takes to get your price.