Thinking of coming back to ram.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Archaic2021

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I left for a minute and went to 2016 chevy CC 4x4.

I like my chevy. Full bolt on and tune..but only made 310rwhp...and only get's about 19mpg highway.

I'm thinking of trading for a leftover 2016 ram Single cab. My idea is wanting to build a sporty truck again. I drive a lot...80 highway miles a day actually.

The only bad thing is a really wanted a 3.92 rear with lsd. This one has the plane rear end with 3.21. I know it being a single cab 8-speed that should give the truck plenty of get up and go.

Wondering what do you think kind of mileage can you get out of a single cab ram? Honestly there will be no engine mods done. Just a muffler change a, a 2/4 drop, and eventually some 305/40r22 on some kind of 22" rim.

The biggest change for this is I want something sporty and fun...but also need a truck...not a 4wd but the bed at least. It also would not hurt I would be saving $200 a month on payment.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How much do you owe on the chevy. The ram stock will push more rwhp than your full bolt on chevy, but you know this. You'll pull off 22mpg pretty easily as needed. The Hemi is a better motor, hands down. Its cheaper, looks better , and performs better. You won't get some of the tech with a sports package, but if you owe less than 25k you might be able to pull it off.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I just traded my 15 Silverado ccsb, 4x4, 5.3/3.42 combo for my 17 ram 2500 4x4.

I love the ram and don't miss my Chevy at all.

Yeah, my Chevy had more options than my tradesman ram, but i didn't want or need that fancy stuff anyway.

The ram has way better throttle response than the terrible lazy/laggy throttle in the Chevy. (A ton of torque management) The Chevy had that stupid wax coated frame i hated. Every time I jacked the truck some coating came off and then it rusted there. It had those stupid carpeted inner fenders that trapped all kinds of leaves, road salt, etc. The chevy had some interior rattles already in 10,000 miles. The transmission shifting is worse than the Ram. (Clunks on downshifts), the 5.3 sounds like an erector set when it starts cold (cold start rattle that's worse the colder it is out) just annoying type stuff.

Pros and cons to each. The Chevy was a good truck, i just prefer the ram and that it does not have the issues the Chevy did i outlined above. They are both good trucks.

If you can make the figures work and you can live without 4x4 (i wouldn't want to) I'd go for it and ditch the bowtie. I'm glad i did.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Do some reading on the single cabs with the 8 speed before lowering. I think the guy from Moe's(cant remember his name, sorry) was talking about dropping the drive shaft on the lowered single cab 8 speed he had, and that this had happened to other people.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice welcome back

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do some reading on the single cabs with the 8 speed before lowering. I think the guy from Moe's(cant remember his name, sorry) was talking about dropping the drive shaft on the lowered single cab 8 speed he had, and that this had happened to other people.

That has happened on stock suspension trucks also. Its not a lowering issue, its a driveshaft reaching critical speed issue

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I left for a minute and went to 2016 chevy CC 4x4.

I like my chevy. Full bolt on and tune..but only made 310rwhp...and only get's about 19mpg highway.

I'm thinking of trading for a leftover 2016 ram Single cab. My idea is wanting to build a sporty truck again. I drive a lot...80 highway miles a day actually.

The only bad thing is a really wanted a 3.92 rear with lsd. This one has the plane rear end with 3.21. I know it being a single cab 8-speed that should give the truck plenty of get up and go.

Wondering what do you think kind of mileage can you get out of a single cab ram? Honestly there will be no engine mods done. Just a muffler change a, a 2/4 drop, and eventually some 305/40r22 on some kind of 22" rim.

The biggest change for this is I want something sporty and fun...but also need a truck...not a 4wd but the bed at least. It also would not hurt I would be saving $200 a month on payment.

I have a 2016 reg cab. I get 17.5 mpg w/ mixed driving & I drive spirited. I traded my 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 4 door for the 2016 Ram R/T & couldnt be happier

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I've got a 2015 Bighorn with 3.21 and 4x4. I did two long drives from Minnesota to Colorado and back and Minnesota to Tennessee and back. Driving in the 70-80mph range I got 20-21mpg per the EVIC. In the winter, with warm-up idling for my daughter, and my less than 5 mile commute I'm getting around 13mpg. In the summer my mixed driving nets 17-18mpg.

You'll love the 8-speed tranny and should get better mpg without 4x4 and the extra cab weight.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man I thought my cc ram was fast when it was stock, I can only imagine how fun a lowered Hemi regular cab will be to fart around in.

Good luck op.