Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > General Discussions

General Discussions

Thinking of trading in the Laramie

This is a discussion on Thinking of trading in the Laramie within the General Discussions forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
Thinking of trading in my 2014 Laramie white in color. Found a 2016 Sport, black, that is fully loaded. has ...

Like Tree7Likes

Sponsored By: All Mopar Parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Question Thinking of trading in the Laramie
Thinking of trading in my 2014 Laramie white in color.

Found a 2016 Sport, black, that is fully loaded. has luxury package and all. It comes with cooled seats and built in brake controller. I believe the only option I would lose is the memory seats and the interior is a little different.

I gain the keyless entry/starting system and rain sensing wipers.

Vehicle has 28,000 on it and comes certified. Mine currently has 28,400.

Payments would decrease as well, IF, I get what I'm suppose to for trade in.

What are your thoughts on this? Keep the truck I have, or trade it in?
Devin1349 likes this.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
DonnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Engine: 5.7 Hemi
How close are you to paying off your current truck? I did a similar trade in on my 2014 Ram from a 2015 Tundra. Personally, whichever you pay off first is what I would go with. As long as you can afford it and does what you NEED it to do. Now if you like the Sport better than your current truck - and that is the real motivation behind the swap.....well none of us will help you make the decision. sorry. Because, I have a feeling you already made up your mind

I have had 3 different trucks within the last 4 years (more often than not I wish I just paid one off and kept it)......I have always traded down in value and up in mileage...not necessarily a good strategy. BUT I have always reduced my loan in every-way. Each truck I was trading in for offered something more conducive to how I use my truck (mostly towing a boat, fishing, camping, hunting, and light off road). Point being is once I made up in my mind I liked the idea of the truck I did not have -well guess what......I TRADED in for it hahaha

nobody's advice resonated with me once I mentally decided I liked the other truck.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Correct, This one comes with a 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty since its certified, my current one doesn't I believe. Mine is a 2014 and this one is a 2016.

It also is the sport version so everything is colored match, which I like. I believe it also has the 3.92 gears on it, which seem sought after.

I will gain the keyless entry/starting system, rain sensing wipers and I believe an updated Uconnect system.

I will lose my memory seats, rear heated seats and my moonroof

Both trucks have the same amount of miles on them.

Loan payments would go down about 20 a month, but I already overpay quite a bit a month more.

Payoff amount would be the same on both trucks, If I can get the numbers that blue book tells me I can.

So basically everything loan wise and mileage stays the same. I just gain a 2 year newer truck thats certified with a powertrain warranty and I lose memory seats, moonroof and rear heated seats.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2016
For me the only deal breaker would be not having the 3.92 gears.
Jay
768mph and GsRAM like this.

Pull Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would double check your current 2014 power train warranty. My 2014 is a CPO with the warranty you mentioned the sport has. I did notice on the Ram window sticker I located on the uconnect website that it came with a factory 100 mile power train warranty. Also when you say updated uconnect systems do you mean software? or are you gaining nav? because you can always update the uconnect software. Personally if your current truck has more warrant left on it than you think and the uconnect upgrade merely software I say keep your Laramie.

Are both 4x4s?

does your currently truck have skid plates and tow hooks? It would bother me that the sport def does not have front tow hooks and more than likely no skid plates....but thats me not you.

Also I too bought a CPO Ram. MAKE THE DEALER GO THROUGH THE CPO CHECK LIST WITH YOU ON THE TRUCK prior to purchase!!!! the dealer I bought mine from basically said take our word for it meets the requirements of Ram that it is CPO. It costs a dealer 300-500$ to certify a truck! my truck had about 2-3 things that should have been fixed prior to the sale of a CPO truck. Example a working door lock! and fluid changes. the owner before did the 50k mile service a fews months prior his traded which i think prevented the dealer from feeling the need to check the truck out. The CPO warranty does not take affect until the dealer sends in the paper work to Ram. It takes Ram about 2-3 weeks to process it. This left me out of warranty for about 1 month because it took the dealer 3 weeks to realize they never sent it in to Ram. The dealer forgot to do it on my Truck. Which I contacted Ram about and they were very helpful and were not happy with the dealer. In fact I was shock how good Rams customer service was over the phone in Michigan.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
Jay
Jay, I believe both my current truck and this one I'm looking at both have the 3.92 gears.
Pull Ya likes this.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Originally Posted by VA10 View Post
I would double check your current 2014 power train warranty. My 2014 is a CPO with the warranty you mentioned the sport has. I did notice on the Ram window sticker I located on the uconnect website that it came with a factory 100 mile power train warranty. Also when you say updated uconnect systems do you mean software? or are you gaining nav? because you can always update the uconnect software. Personally if your current truck has more warrant left on it than you think and the uconnect upgrade merely software I say keep your Laramie.

Are both 4x4s?

does your currently truck have skid plates and tow hooks? It would bother me that the sport def does not have front tow hooks and more than likely no skid plates....but thats me not you.

Also I too bought a CPO Ram. MAKE THE DEALER GO THROUGH THE CPO CHECK LIST WITH YOU ON THE TRUCK prior to purchase!!!! the dealer I bought mine from basically said take our word for it meets the requirements of Ram that it is CPO. It costs a dealer 300-500$ to certify a truck! my truck had about 2-3 things that should have been fixed prior to the sale of a CPO truck. Example a working door lock! and fluid changes. the owner before did the 50k mile service a fews months prior his traded which i think prevented the dealer from feeling the need to check the truck out. The CPO warranty does not take affect until the dealer sends in the paper work to Ram. It takes Ram about 2-3 weeks to process it. This left me out of warranty for about 1 month because it took the dealer 3 weeks to realize they never sent it in to Ram. The dealer forgot to do it on my Truck. Which I contacted Ram about and they were very helpful and were not happy with the dealer. In fact I was shock how good Rams customer service was over the phone in Michigan.
I meant updated software, I apologize. My truck does have navigation.

I would need to check into the warranty on mine, you might be right about the 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain on it. So I would have about 2 years left before it expires. I would have 4 with the new truck.

My current truck has no tow hooks and I'm unsure about the skid plates but I doubt it has them.

Good idea about the CPO worksheet and going through it with them. I've always wondered if a dealer actually did all them points of inspection to pass it or if they skipped a bunch of it that a normal buyer could never tell.

I pulled up both build sheets from dodge side by side and they are almost identical. I'm only losing the features that I stated which are the moonroof, memory seats and rear heated seats.

Both have the heavy duty tow package built in, the 3.92 gears, etc.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016
Jay
This^^^^^^^^^^^^

3.92 gears
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012
Engine: Hemi 5.7L
Originally Posted by DonnyP View Post
I meant updated software, I apologize. My truck does have navigation.

I would need to check into the warranty on mine, you might be right about the 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain on it. So I would have about 2 years left before it expires. I would have 4 with the new truck.

My current truck has no tow hooks and I'm unsure about the skid plates but I doubt it has them.

Good idea about the CPO worksheet and going through it with them. I've always wondered if a dealer actually did all them points of inspection to pass it or if they skipped a bunch of it that a normal buyer could never tell.

I pulled up both build sheets from dodge side by side and they are almost identical. I'm only losing the features that I stated which are the moonroof, memory seats and rear heated seats.

Both have the heavy duty tow package built in, the 3.92 gears, etc.
Register on www.mopar.com in the Mopar Owners Section with your name, address and VIN. you will be able to see the maintenance history, and most importantly, it will show you your entire Warranty breakdown, with everything listed that's included.

2012 Ram 1500 RCSB Hemi 22" SRT-10 Wheels Plastidipped Black w/ Bridgestone Tires Smoked Taillights Custom Quad Headlights Opt-7 FluxBeam-X 6000k LED Lows MicTuning 6000k LED Fogs K&N 63 Series CAI Flowmasters Muffler Line-X Bed OEM Black Badges All Around 20% Tint All Around Lund Tri-Fold Tonneau + plenty more coming soon...
HitchHiker likes this.

12' RAM 1500 RCSB Hemi 22" Black SRT-10 Wheels Line-X K&N Intake Mufflex Muffler Delete Custom 13+ Projectors Morimoto HID Kit Custom Vinyl Black Emblem Swap 20% Tint Smoked Taillights RBZ 430N Radio Swap Honeycomb Grille Inserts LED Mirror Swap Custom Wrapped Vinyl Interior + more...
OnSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012
Jay
Yep, after having the 3.92's I couldn't downgrade.

Too much fun.

Rzrman328 is offline   Reply With Quote