For those with 32 gallon tanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChargerX3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is great news. I have a 2017 Laramie and it's off. It is imperitive that my fuel mileage is accurate. I live in the desert with many miles between stations At times.

I can't believe that some of you could care less that a brand new vehicle you purchased doesn't work properly. I see you have lowered expectations. For a $55k truck that is unacceptable!

reindeerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2002
Engine
I notice they don't even cover my year. I have never been able to pump more than 28 gallons into my 32 gallon tank even when the gauge and EVIC say I'm on fumes.

I do not choose to run to true failure so I'm always sitting on 4 gallons, or the system is way off.

I contacted FCA five days ago and got this auto response-

***** AUTOMATED RESPONSE - PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS ADDRESS *****

Your inquiry has been received by the Mopar Assistance Center. We
appreciate your contact with us and look forward to getting back with
you as soon as possible.

To ensure a prompt response, please add [email protected] to
your Safe Senders list, Address Book or Contact List. Please also
monitor your Junk Mail or Spam Folder for our response.

While waiting for our response, feel free to browse www.mopar.com. The
'Search' function on the top of the navigation bar may help provide the
information you have requested in your email.

Tried the search with no luck, still waiting for reply

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Mostly an issue for me when I'm towing. I like to get as far as I can which is the reason I had the 32 gallon tank option. Not a huge deal for regular driving but it'd be nice to keep cruising down the highway knowing I still have 5-6 more gallons in the tank instead of stopping 150 miles ahead. Of time for fuel. If that makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must be lucky. I also tow a lot but when my gauge dings empty I am really empty. Just a few minutes ago I pulled into the station running on fumes. Gauge said 10 miles till empty and it took 31 gallons. There are big surprises when towing. I had range reading 185 miles, had another 75 to and figured I was OK. Hit headwinds and started climbing mountains and my + mile surplus was gone fast.

Skerj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I can't believe that some of you could care less that a brand new vehicle you purchased doesn't work properly. I see you have lowered expectations. For a $55k truck that is unacceptable!

That's a good point. And for it to continue for so many years is what gets me. Although I won't go out of my way to get it updated. While it'd be nice to see 600 plus highway miles to empty, I kind of like having an extra buffer. (I say that now...)

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
When in the Cities I fuel up when I'm getting towards Empty. When on inter-state drives or towing up north, I just do the math in my head. When it says 0 miles until empty, I figure that I've got six gallons of gas left. If I'm not towing, that's about 20mpg or 120 miles until true empty. If I'm towing, that's about 12mpg so 70 miles or so. I've put in 32 gallons plus on more than one occasion but never try to run it down to just fumes.

Those guys driving Cup cars have to calculate fuel mileage while going 200mph on the track. I can do it while cruising at a safe 65mph and a cold drink at my side!

I will say though, it would be nice for the winter months when I can use remote start even when I've got six gallons left.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Filled up today...2nd fill. Didn't pay attention last time.

542 miles on the odometer:

Was at 1/8th of a tank...dash said I had 75 miles left before empty:

89 Octane
$60
24 gallons topped it off...

And I have a 32 gallon tank... I'll be needing the flash update when its available.

reindeerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2002
Engine
I finally heard back from FCA about my 2011 model and the current star case =" your vehicle is outside of the criteria for the one you have referenced"

salmonbum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2015. I have never got more than 28 gallons in while pushing the limit. 2 notes ago I let it go...... ran out on purpose. I out exactly 2 gallons in the tank, drove half mile to gas station and put in exactally 30 gallons. And I had to squeeze it in. So tank size is 32 gallons with fuel in the filler neck. This is not right. You never want to overkill and get gas in the evap system, and you need room for expansion. This tank is really a 30 gallon tank.

And another note, ram may have done this gauge reading thing on purpose. More fuel in tank, more cooling of fuel pump..... less warranty claims. If you run the tank to almost empty(real empty) the fuel pump is not being cooled.

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok so this time around I didn't wait til it said low fuel..... I put fuel right when my light came on which was 37 miles left according the the dash. Filled up with 27.5 gallons. Mines a 2017 longhorn

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just dropped my truck off to get the cruise control switch replaced(finally). I also asked about this issue and gave the dealer the memo and the service guy had never seen this. Will see when I pick it up tomorrow if they do anything with it.

2016 Sport QC with 32 Gallon tank.

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Got the truck back today and my dealership knows nothing of this star case and nothing in their system about this. Will ask the other ram dealership in the new year once the 4th quarter is passed.

Note that I am in Canada and only JUST got my update notice for uConnect 17.11.07 so like everything in the North. Probably delayed till mid 2018.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some poor ******* is gonna read this and think he has the 32g tank and jump in his truck and run it past E and run it dry because he didn't look at his build sheet - lol
My 2015 1500 build sheet says 26 gallons, then under optional equipment it says 5 additional gallons. So far, I've never put more than 25 gallons in it, but would love to know exactly how much it really holds.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2015 1500 build sheet says 26 gallons, then under optional equipment it says 5 additional gallons. So far, I've never put more than 25 gallons in it, but would love to know exactly how much it really holds.

If I am understanding your build sheet right, it is the 5 gallons of actual gas they give you (your dealer may fill the tank for you after they receive it). It would say optional 32 gallon tank if you had the bigger tank.

sportcoupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Rebel Mojave Sand
Engine
I have a 2017 Rebel with 32 gallon tank. I let the gauge go down till low fuel came on and kept driving till it displayed almost 0 miles till empty. I added 29 gallons to fill it up. There is some unusable fuel in every tank, maybe up to a gallon or more. I feel my gauge and miles to zero are pretty accurate.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2017 Rebel with 32 gallon tank. I let the gauge go down till low fuel came on and kept driving till it displayed almost 0 miles till empty. I added 29 gallons to fill it up. There is some unusable fuel in every tank, maybe up to a gallon or more. I feel my gauge and miles to zero are pretty accurate.

It is known that the fuel gauges are off on the 32 gallon tanks. It is like they used the same programming for both the 26 gallon tanks and the 32 gallon tanks. It is an issue Ram is aware of, and keeps promising a software update to fix.

sportcoupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Rebel Mojave Sand
Engine
It is known that the fuel gauges are off on the 32 gallon tanks. It is like they used the same programming for both the 26 gallon tanks and the 32 gallon tanks. It is an issue Ram is aware of, and keeps promising a software update to fix.

Mine doesn't appear to be off.

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mine doesn't appear to be off.

Yours may be correct. 2017 models built 2nd quarter of 2017 or later should have the update already done.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a 09 and I guess they are not going to Update ours? I guess I have lived with it this long!