Thoughts on getting the air suspension installed by the dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I went into a Chrysler dealership to get a quote on the install of the oem air ride. I believe the quote was under $1500 (I inquired over a year ago and have been thinking more about it). A couple of questions about this:

1) I'm totally capable of installing it myself, is this something I should have the dealership do because of some of the problems I've been reading about the air ride, incase mine would have the same issues?

2) Your opinions about the cost

3) Opinions about just switching out my stock shocks with something that wouldn't sag my rear end as much with a 28' foot cargo trailer (max weight in it is around 7k)

Thanks for your opinions. And if someone has had it done, I'd like to hear your feedback on how you like it being retrofitted instead of installed straight from the manufacturer.

Edit: If I remember correctly I think that was just for the parts, not including install.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
just put in an air assist rear air bags solves your squat if they break you still have a truck to use. tlc or airlift or boss airbags will all fit. one fits in the coils the other 2 fit beside the springs., unless you get the airlift bigger bags.it will cost you 1/3 the price of the factory price.

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's only $1500 for a dealer install of the full OEM air suspension? That almost sounds reasonable.

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My window sticker says 1,595.00 for the OEM air suspension. I have a hard time believing a dealership would order then install the kit as a retrofi for 15000. Consider the labor to remove old then install rhe new. I wouldn't try to install it.. BCM will probably need flashed as well. If they could do it for that price.. I would jump in it.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would test drive a Rebel or another 1500 that has the air ride system. I have it in the Rebel, and do not care for it at all. It is nice to drop the truck down for the wife to get in or out, but you can't drive in the enter/exit position. And when you have it in any other height othen than normal, it throws the alignment off, and the steering is bad.

Ram17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm thinking 1500 for labor plus the actual system/parts. 1500 for all is a hell of a deal. Too good to be true?

OP
OP
R

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would test drive a Rebel or another 1500 that has the air ride system. I have it in the Rebel, and do not care for it at all. It is nice to drop the truck down for the wife to get in or out, but you can't drive in the enter/exit position. And when you have it in any other height othen than normal, it throws the alignment off, and the steering is bad.
I like the idea of test driving a truck equipped with the bags. I would hate that it would throw the steering off that much. Is that a fixable issue or something that comes with the cost of having bags (whether they're oem or aftermarket).

Last edited:

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the idea of test driving a truck equipped with the bags. I would hate that it would throw the steering off that much. Is that a fixable issue or something that comes with the cost of having bags (whether they're oem or aftermarket).

I look at like this, if you install a lift kit even a 2" one you need or should get the front end aligned. Look at the angle or the tires with the suspension up, then down. The tires really lean in or out.
I am sure this is good for most people, but after having the air bags is not for me much longer. :happy107:

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Assuming the $1500 quote is for labor only, that sounds about 10 - 12 hours. Which doesn't seem that bad considering how the air lines are routed & wiring. And then, I really don't know if the air suspension sales code (SER?) can be added.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
^^^ what he said, $1500 is for labor only. I'm guessing the parts cost is above $5K.
Like barr0208 mentioned, buy a set of assist air bags for the rear and be be done with it. Most of the kits are about $350 and the WirelessOne compressor to inflate them about $250 and you can install in a couple of hours.
The Total Load Control and Timber Grove airbag set ups are both "no cut" installs, the AirLift set up you cut the bump-stop pocket off.
I have the TLC set up, but haven't bought the WirelessOne set up yet. http://www.ramforum.com/f119/timber_grove_air_bags-104269/index2.html#post1525022

Last edited:

DTarve23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Definitely only labor .... My Dealership wanted 900 in labor alone just to install Bilstiens and control arms :flipthebird:

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
I know for a fact that the rear springs are almost $600 each. After disassembling the front air springs as far as possible (basically remove cover...) & seeing how those are, I'm guessing the fronts are $1500 each. They are some seriously stout assemblies. Compressor & valve assembly is about another $500. I believe the module dropped down to only $400. Plus air lines (only available as complete harness for all 4) at $200 ish. Then the tanks. The front springs & tanks are the only ones I haven't had to replace yet on various customers vehicles. Running the air lines pretty much requires lifting the cab & bed. Tanks absolutely require lifting the bed, no shortcuts around that. It doesn't take long for the $1500 factory add on to seem like a wiser investment.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There are plenty of aftermarket solutions that will be cheaper and problem free for the most part. Air bags and or progressive rate springs on the rear. I always try to keep it simple.

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
^^^^ agree. Airlift 5000 ultimate is what I put on my 2013 F150. You can run them with no air in them, the others you have to run a little bit.

Frisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry that ship has sailed...Your truck didn't get ordered with the factory air suspension. If you need to increase the rear end when you have your trailer etc I would second the recommendation to get an aftermarket air bag setup. Just add air when you need it to level the truck.

OP
OP
R

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Aftermarket may be the way. I appreciate everyone's input.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends on what you need it for. For towing support, there are a lot of other better and cheaper options, as mentioned.

Integrating it into the trucks computer would probably be a dealer only function.

If the dealer installs it you'd probably get a full warranty on it.

I just ripped out an air suspension system and replaced it with coil springs on a 2007 Lincoln Town Car. When they go bad it's miserable. Good luck

atrupo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It might not be beefy enough for what you're wanting, but I second the Air Lift idea. I have them. $90, install is a breeze, does exactly what it's supposed to. I don't have the onboard compressor, so I have to inflate them with a tire compressor, but it saves cash and fixes any sag.