Tire pressures loaded/unloaded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok guys. When loaded up I have approx. 3k pounds on the back . I know max pressure is 80 for the truck tires. When I got it from dealer the rear was around 80 and it was harsh with the leaf springs. So I dropped it closer to 70 and it felt MUCH better. I don't want to keep adjusting pressure. Any suggestions. With closer to 70 the tires look kind of "squishy" lol. I keep the front closer to 60. Thanks

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What does the door sticker say? That's what I would run unloaded. Not sure why it would be at tire max, that's proof dealers are morons. Tires have load ratings and PSI ratings based on the load. So they don't need to always be at 80 psi.

But this thread needs more information before we can help you. Tire size for example.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Sticker on mine states 80 psi for the rear. The ride with the rear coils is surprisingly good though. I might start to tinker with the air pressure to make it a little better. I don't plan to often drive with max payload... don't really see the need to have the tires aired up all the time.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Back in the day, I ran 80 when loaded, 70ish when 'empty' (which included about 5-600 in tools) Not sure how often you are 'loaded',,, but I did adjust back and forth for ride/wear.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's a 2015 3500 and the pressures on the door are 60/80. The adjusting is what I would like to avoid. But I'm assuming there is no way around it? My payload sticker says 3773. I'm getting up there when fully loaded

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my dually, I ran 25 psi in the rear tires, unless I was loaded, then I'd bump to to 50. I never ran the rear @ 80 like the door said, cuz it would wear the centers out.

The pressures I ran gave me even wear across the tread.

But, if you put 60 psi in the tires unloaded, and load the truck up, the tires won't be at 60 psi anymore. They were @ 60 psi for the load, then you added more weight, and since the tires are still supporting it, the pressure in them will go up as the tires squish under the load. May go up a few pounds, depending on how much weight you add.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wow! 25psi , that's 55 lower than the sticker says and no abnormal wear? I can't believe that. I'm not calling u a liar. Are those The original tires?

On my dually, I ran 25 psi in the rear tires, unless I was loaded, then I'd bump to to 50. I never ran the rear @ 80 like the door said, cuz it would wear the centers out.

The pressures I ran gave me even wear across the tread.

But, if you put 60 psi in the tires unloaded, and load the truck up, the tires won't be at 60 psi anymore. They were @ 60 psi for the load, then you added more weight, and since the tires are still supporting it, the pressure in them will go up as the tires squish under the load. May go up a few pounds, depending on how much weight you add.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Call me liar all you want...I don't care. I did it. I know what I did.

4 tires on the rear axle, 25 psi in each, and I had 90% wear across the tread on all 4 using the chalk line method.

I didn't care to go any lower...was afraid of them coming off the bead while driving and of the sidewalls rubbing each other.

I did try it at the recommended air pressure, and less then 1" of the tread was actually touching the driveway on each of the 4 tires.......in other words, for you non-believers....about the same tread contact per tire as you get with a pedal type bicycle tire.

No, they were no stock, they were bridgestone dueler revo ATs....best tire I have ever had on a truck for all around use. And they don't make them any more (not the same tread pattern anyway)

Besides....a single rear wheel truck runs 2 tires @ 50 psi.....so why do you think a dual rear wheel truck can't run 4 tires @ 25 psi and carry the same load ??

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Lol! I said I'm NOT calling u a liar. It's just much lower than the 80 psi. I've never heard pressures going that much below max. Most guys run around 60-70 in the rear. No offense buddy

Call me liar all you want...I don't care. I did it. I know what I did.

4 tires on the rear axle, 25 psi in each, and I had 90% wear across the tread on all 4 using the chalk line method.

I didn't care to go any lower...was afraid of them coming off the bead while driving and of the sidewalls rubbing each other.

I did try it at the recommended air pressure, and less then 1" of the tread was actually touching the driveway on each of the 4 tires.......in other words, for you non-believers....about the same tread contact per tire as you get with a pedal type bicycle tire.

No, they were no stock, they were bridgestone dueler revo ATs....best tire I have ever had on a truck for all around use. And they don't make them any more (not the same tread pattern anyway)

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
55 psi front and 50 psi rear is what I run. I want to lower the rear to 45 though because the outer 1/2" of tread still doesn't touch the road.

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My door sticker (2010 1500) says 35psi, I run it at 38ish and it runs fine with that, even thread wear all around. Are you really sure you need to inflate your tires like that?