Too Many Miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
my 70 Cuda had 8 or 9 miles on it when I picked it up from the dealership. But it had already had the left front fender repainted (poorly).

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
PS; NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER buy a demo vehicle. I personally know they drive them like they stole them. I rather pay up and get something clean and unused. You get what you pay for :) Let us know the explanation if there is one please

Thanks

We bought a 2013 Ford Expedition with 5500 miles on it as a new/untitled demo model making it a more affordable deal for us and at 52k miles on it now, the only issue it has had is 1 brake caliper sticking causing the pads on 1 wheel to drag and wear out early. Other than that, it's been the most reliable Ford I've ever owned.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the replies. I wouldn't have an issue with the higher mileage if the truck was transferred from another dealer or something similar but the fact that no one at the dealership seems to know and/or wants to share any information is odd. I've been in contact with the dealer for almost a week and still haven't seen a window sticker. I even asked them to print one using the VIN and the salesman never got back to me.

Something is off and it's not worth the risk.

ive bought a brand new car with 161 miles on it. dont see the big deal. cars get transferred between lots all the time, they get test driven, etc. its probably not worth the hassle (and probably impossible) for the salesmen to try and figure out where all the miles came from to give you an answer. im kinda surprised he didnt just give you a BS excuse and hope you buy it.

i personally wouldnt overthink it. i would use the 'high miles' and missing window sticker as bargaining power if you like the truck. you can print out your own window sticker and build sheet. the warranty is going to be the same whether it has 161 or 4 on the odometer.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My wife and I were pretty picky about this too. Had a truck that we were going to buy a couple of hours from us, but it "wouldn't be on the lot for a few more days". Turned out that someone had bought it, drove it home, but couldn't get financed through his/her bank, so the dealer had to go get it from him. They were still selling it as new, but it had 1200 miles on it. I walked away from it. Found our truck 5 hrs away with 9 miles on the odometer.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Mine was a dealer transfer to get me the color I wanted. I took delivery at 315 miles or there abouts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
How many miles would you consider too many on a brand new truck? Most trucks I've test driven (2016's) have between 12-35 miles on them. Today I found a truck I'm interested in and it has 120 miles on the odometer and the dealership can't seem to find the window sticker or explain the higher than normal miles. My last SUV was a dealer demo and I promised myself I wouldn't go that route again (personal experience). So I'm curious, what do you guys consider too many miles on a brand new truck?

I realize a lot of factors come into play:
-does it have all the options you want
-can you get a lower price
-etc etc.

I'm just curious.
I bought my 2012 on the last day of October 2012. Late model, late in the year and late in the month with 600 miles on it.

I found the dealer to be very willing to negotiate and paid $10K less than MSRP, but it was still a new truck.

catch 22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
none
Like said, they probably let someone take it home for the night. Mine had 6 miles on it when I left on the test drive 11 when I got back and 13 at delivery (they drove it to the gas station to fill it, and then detailed in make ready) 2+ years and I only have 12,000 miles on it.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
If they where smart and or honest they would have gotten both the window sticker reprint and explanation for the mileage without hesitation if they truly believed you where interested. A few years back the first question they would ask you is what you do for a living and if you did not reply as working in the Oil Patch then they would not even give you the time of day. Now with the economy hurting they will talk to anyone and be real nice. They are not giving you the respect you deserve so I would go to another dealership. Good luck in finding that perfect Truck. Danny

OP
OP
G

Greeco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If they where smart and or honest they would have gotten both the window sticker reprint and explanation for the mileage without hesitation if they truly believed you where interested. A few years back the first question they would ask you is what you do for a living and if you did not reply as working in the Oil Patch then they would not even give you the time of day. Now with the economy hurting they will talk to anyone and be real nice. They are not giving you the respect you deserve so I would go to another dealership. Good luck in finding that perfect Truck. Danny

Well said! My communications with the dealership started out focused on the higher than average new car miles and has now become somewhat of a game regarding the window sticker. The fact that no one at the dealership will produce/reprint/explain the sticker is becoming almost comical to me. The truck in question is a fully loaded Sport CC with an MSRP north of 56k. I would think the dealership would like to sell an expensive truck like that but they act like they couldn't care less.

Hemipower95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well said! My communications with the dealership started out focused on the higher than average new car miles and has now become somewhat of a game regarding the window sticker. The fact that no one at the dealership will produce/reprint/explain the sticker is becoming almost comical to me. The truck in question is a fully loaded Sport CC with an MSRP north of 56k. I would think the dealership would like to sell an expensive truck like that but they act like they couldn't care less.

A sport with a msrp of 56k? You sure it was a sport?

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
anything under 70k is new to me lol

OP
OP
G

Greeco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A sport with a msrp of 56k? You sure it was a sport?

Yeah, it's loaded up. Leather, heated/cooled seats, air suspension, sport hood, park sense, trailer brake, sun roof, spray in bed liner, side steps, navigation, 3.92, rear defroster, anti-slip etc, etc. The only option it doesn't have is the Ram Box.

However, when I build the exact truck on the Ram website the truck builds at just over $53k. That's why I've been pushing so hard to see the window sticker. They keep telling me the MSRP is $56,300 and I can't figure out how they're coming up with that number.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yeah, it's loaded up. Leather, heated/cooled seats, air suspension, sport hood, park sense, trailer brake, sun roof, spray in bed liner, side steps, navigation, 3.92, rear defroster, anti-slip etc, etc. The only option it doesn't have is the Ram Box.

However, when I build the exact truck on the Ram website the truck builds at just over $53k. That's why I've been pushing so hard to see the window sticker. They keep telling me the MSRP is $56,300 and I can't figure out how they're coming up with that number.
Dealer probably added some of the extras after receiving the truck and their charges will be different than new build from Ram. That's probably why they aren't forth coming with the window sticker.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

FCA US LLC Launch Page

put the vin in where it says window sticker and hit go.

OP
OP
G

Greeco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FCA US LLC Launch Page

put the vin in where it says window sticker and hit go.

Thank you! I didn't realize this existed. I typed in the VIN and got the "Sorry a window sticker is not available for this vehicle" response. I tested another truck just to make sure it works and it did. What a mystery. Lol.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Seriously, I would have moved on the first day they could not provide a window sticker. Something is hokey with this vehicle if a sticker cannot be readily attained.

Can you post the VIN?

OP
OP
G

Greeco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seriously, I would have moved on the first day they could not provide a window sticker. Something is hokey with this vehicle if a sticker cannot be readily attained.

Can you post the VIN?

VIN: 1C6RR7MT4GS284104

I've moved on. The only reason I even gave it this much attention is because it had all of the options I wanted.

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think my truck had 7 on it before my day long test-drive. I would be worried about anything over 100 miles, since I tend to flog cars on test drives...I would assume others do as well, so that would be a potential 100+ pre-breakin hard miles.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Greeco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think my truck had 7 on it before my day long test-drive. I would be worried about anything over 100 miles, since I tend to flog cars on test drives...I would assume others do as well, so that would be a potential 100+ pre-breakin hard miles.

Everyone's different, right? Some only buy new cars, some only buy used. Some keep one car for 15 years and some buy a new car every year. My personal thought is that if I'm going to spend the money on a new truck then I want it to have as close to zero miles as possible. Many might think that's rediculous. I bought my current SUV as a dealer demo with 1200 miles on it. I have had nothing but issues from day one. I told myself that if I ever bought "new" again I wouldn't compromise on what I really want. Just how I roll.

Again, I really appreciate all of the responses. This forum is awesome and has helped me a lot in my quest to become a RAM owner! Thank you!