Tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cody0707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I'm going to be buying new tools. What tools do you recommend for working on the truck? I want to be able to do the basics like install a leveling kit, change the breaks, oil, Sparkspark plugs, and any other little task I may come across.

I have done mechanical work to my other vehicles but used my dads tools. Wanting to get some of my own and slowly add tools as I need them.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i like the bleeder wrenches for the brakes. angled just right for you to be able to have a tube and open and close it as needed. not sure what size the bleeder is on the 11s though. maybe an 8 or 10?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
are you looking for brand or specific tools? I can say make sure you get metric sockets and wrenches. Also get a set of torx bits

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have one of those tool kits from Craftsman that folds up and has like 200 pieces. I can do most everything I need from that - I'd say start with that then add to it from there. There have been a few occasions I've needed a torque wrench - that's probably the next thing I plan on buying. That and a good tall floor jack. It's a pain always having to borrow one.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It takes a lifetime to accumulate a full set of tools. Go to Sears and get the biggest craftsman combo set you can afford. That will be a good start.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
It takes a lifetime to accumulate a full set of tools. Go to Sears and get the biggest craftsman combo set you can afford. That will be a good start.

Agreed 100%

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
basically all these in sae and uss
87-260x260-0-0_EnkayTamperProofTorxBitsT7toT257pcs.jpg
00933168000.jpg
00947155000.jpg
untitled.png
bbs/imagesCAVCAO1A.jpg[/IMG]

discojables

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
in time you will acquire a collection. You'll probably just pick them up as you need them. Starter kits are nice. Harbor freight is good for starting out, cheap stuff. I've found having a brass malet and torque wrench usefull for installing a lift. That's one of those things I had to run out to go buy... good luck

...and socket extensions. Lots of entenders. Can never have too many

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
After my craftsman set was stolen I have been piecing mine together. Harbor Freight is just down the street from me so its kind of nice. Everyone may say "oh those are cheap ass tools" well they work and thats what I can afford. I am hoping on black friday I can get a large tool box, my little 6 drawer just isn't cutting it.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
What I did when I was younger was bought one of the larger sets from harbor freight, something like a 250 piece, with sockets, extensions, bits and drivers. When I broke or lost something out of it, I'd go to sears and replace it with a craftsman piece.
If I'm working on something and need a tool I'll probably never use again, I'll go cheap, but if it's something more than a one time use, I'll spend the money on a quality piece

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

discojables

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Harbor Freight FTW!

They have coupons for specific items and 20% off all the time.

Last edited:

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
craftsman!!!

they have a nice set that almost always goes on sale around christmas. when I bought it a few years ago, it was in a 3 or 4 drawer black plastic "tool box".
it is about everything you need. I have used it to rebuild a motor, everything from lifts to maintenance on 4 vehicles.

Harbor Freight FTW!

They have coupons for specific items and 20% off all the time.
harbor freight is great. except for most electronics

there is a 20% off one item coupon in the paper twice a week. and they last a good few months.