TPMS not reading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Folks, so I'm in the final stages on restoring my Ram (bought it a total loss) and one of the last issues I have is I have no TPMS readout on the left side. The right side is reading just fine, but the left is blank, just showing me a line on for both front and back tires instead of a number and naturally the light is on... Wouldn't be the system fault, since the right side is working...? Maybe the sensors... But both at the same time...?
Any idea where I can start looking? Is there a way to reset the TPMS system?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
One more thing to add is that initially, it was showing the values for 3 out of 4 tires, with one blinking with zero (tire was inflated) which made me think that possible the sensor was bad on that wheel, but then the other day it just went to the state I'm describing above.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Are you driving it around or is it just parked? After my tires are rotated it can take as much as 15 minutes or miles to register correctly. The sensors that go in the tires fail pretty often but can be replaced at the dealer or some (most?) tires shops for around $60. Before digging too far into the truck end of it I'd rule out all the other easy possibilities with the tires and sensors.

OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Are you driving it around or is it just parked? After my tires are rotated it can take as much as 15 minutes or miles to register correctly. The sensors that go in the tires fail pretty often but can be replaced at the dealer or some (most?) tires shops for around $60. Before digging too far into the truck end of it I'd rule out all the other easy possibilities with the tires and sensors.

Driving it around... It's bee. Like that for few days now.
It's strange to me that it was showing one way and not another. The little dashes instead of the number, does that mean it's not getting the signal?

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take it to a tire shop, they can tell you pretty quick if the sensors are shot or just need to be reset.
I had the same thing happen last year when I switched over wheels/tires, except it was the two back showing "-".
The old tires in the box caused interference, so they had to reset them.

OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Take it to a tire shop, they can tell you pretty quick if the sensors are shot or just need to be reset.

I had the same thing happen last year when I switched over wheels/tires, except it was the two back showing "-".

The old tires in the box caused interference, so they had to reset them.

I will do that. Thanks!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The little dashes instead of the number, does that mean it's not getting the signal?

I'm trying to remember what mine did when it was out - I think that's correct.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My right rear tire sensor will randomly go out. I get the flashing light, and message the comes on. And mine reads -- It happens once or twice every 2 weeks. Its frustrating because they are only one year old. I bought them from America's/Discount Tire company. They are normally great about everything. But they really aren't doing much for me on this one. Because every time I take it to them for a rotation or fix for something else, the RR sensor is always working.
When I get the chance to take it in when its not working I am going to be so happy its broken when I walk in they're sure to be super confused on why I am sooo ecstatic!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
When you restored it did you buy new sensors?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are antenna/receivers in/near each wheel well and wiring to the TPMS module (or maybe another). If the wire is busted, shorted, grounded you probably will get dashes. If you have a code reader that picks up TPMS faults/status, it should indicate a bit more status, perhaps a C1501 series code. If the tire pressure reading is below something like 20 psi, it will display as dashes and not give you a system fault. Thats a 1500, maybe higher on a 2500 or 3500.

I think everything detected (including missing sensor) except low pressure will give you a system fault indication (flashing TPM light for 75 seconds or so after start)

It can take 20+minutes of driving more than 15 mph for the system to set a fault indication.

As mentioned, the easiest thing to do first is to stop by a tire shop. They have a portable scanner and can check the sensor in each wheel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There are antenna/receivers in/near each wheel well and wiring to the TPMS module (or maybe another). If the wire is busted, shorted, grounded you probably will get dashes. If you have a code reader that picks up TPMS faults/status, it should indicate a bit more status, perhaps a C1501 series code. If the tire pressure reading is below something like 20 psi, it will display as dashes and not give you a system fault. Thats a 1500, maybe higher on a 2500 or 3500.

I think everything detected (including missing sensor) except low pressure will give you a system fault indication (flashing TPM light for 75 seconds or so after start)

It can take 20+minutes of driving more than 15 mph for the system to set a fault indication.

As mentioned, the easiest thing to do first is to stop by a tire shop. They have a portable scanner and can check the sensor in each wheel.

Yeah that's what I get -- dashes. What do those antenna/receivers look like and where in wheel well are they located, do you know?

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The receiver itself is part of the module that receives remote control. Don't know which one that is in a 2014. There are antenna wires near each wheel well, don't recall where specifically they are. I don't see them in the few wiring diagrams I was able to download.

I know, not much help, sorry.

jacobsmudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 express 4x2 6at reg cab
Engine
5.7L Hemi
take it to a tire place and have them scan the tires that are not reading in the EVIC. if they get nothing or get erroneous reading, replace the sensors.

i had to do this, no problem afterwards.

edit: i didnt have a problem finding a tire place to do this in a couple minutes for me for free, in the parking lot.

elkskins_j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm having the same issue so I rotated my tires around and it's still only the passenger side showing blanks. Doesn't matter what tires are on what side, it still reads blanks on front and back passenger side. ?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm having the same issue so I rotated my tires around and it's still only the passenger side showing blanks. Doesn't matter what tires are on what side, it still reads blanks on front and back passenger side. ?
Have you tried airing down or up the tires to make sure the readings change correctly? Did it ever read?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
This is something that i have wondered about

There has been 4 different ignition switch versions since they began putting them in the dashboard, ( before that there were on the steering column )
The first one & possibly also the 2nd version, had a little antenna on them.

After that, they installed a RF HUB on the rear wall of the cab, behind the drivers side rear seat.
If i recall correctly, at least one version of it had a small antenna on it

I have always wondered if that little antenna caught the signal from the FOB and or the TPMS

elkskins_j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't. But switching the tires around doesn't change which two aren't showing up. It's the same side not reading no matter which tire is on it. Can this be a module issue ?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I haven't. But switching the tires around doesn't change which two aren't showing up. It's the same side not reading no matter which tire is on it. Can this be a module issue ?
Yes, but its possible its not changing at all and is stuck. Airing the tires up or down will let you know the issue better (ie, the TPMS farthest from the RF hub aren't reading as opposed to the cluster display isn't updating)...

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had some issues with the TPMS as well and dug into how the systems figures out where which sensor sits. Supposedly it uses the direction of rotation to figure out left/right side and then signal strength for front/rear. If it can't figure out all 4 wheels, it sticks with the previously learned locations which is why moving the wheels around when there is an error condition doesn't change anything with the TPMS. It will still register the pressure though which makes it even more infuriating because if you swap front and rear on a HD truck and adjust the pressure according to the label it will ***** that the rears are too low.... :smh