Trading in question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2012 ram 1500 big horn 4x4 crew cab; purchased in Jan of '12, has 12,400 miles on it. I owe $22k, KBB trade in value is $28,435.

I work on the road, really need a 5th wheel, current trailer not big enough, so I want a '13 3500.

Once available, would my best bet be to trade in asap, since my current ram will continue to depreciate?

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a trade offer first, most dealers don't do the kbb. They do a few grand under. But if you like the terms presented and find the right 3500 you might as well trade in right there

KickToTheJunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depreciation depends on your interest rate combined with how far into your loan you are. (As well as milage and age)

I recently got out of a loan where I was paying $5/day in interest.

If you're in the first 18-24 months of a 72 mo. Loan, your debt to value ratio is ****. Cos you're paying interest... And a little principle.

Dealers never do KBB or Nada Internet quoted trades. I just lost my ass on a 2012 silverado... Got $19k and its on their lot for $23.9k.

So... A lot of factors to weigh in.

Dealer gonna get ya...

raptor1797

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree , your not gonna win at the dealer. In the long run you have to do what makes you happy and what fits your needs.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
don't expect to get a warm and fuzzy feeling on your trade in value at a dealer.....but if you get an offer more than you owe that is a plus.

They will work the numbers to give them maximum profit but try to make you feel they are giving you the great deal. LOL, im so negative

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I am all for a heavy duty but you could also look at doing a 5th wheel in your current ride. You will need some airbags to help but it is not unheard of even with short bed. If you get a 2013 I would love to hear what you think of the Aisin transmission. I have been eyeing the 3500 non dually as well.

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
He also has the 1500. Towing a fifth wheel wouldn't be advisable. I would be interested to see what they give you for your trade

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
He also has the 1500. Towing a fifth wheel wouldn't be advisable. I would be interested to see what they give you for your trade

As long as he is towing within rating why would it matter if it is 1500? The tow rating is only reason to get a bigger truck otherwise a 1500 is just fine for a 5th wheel. Makes no difference if you are using Weight Distribution Hitch via receiver or Gooseneck.

OP
OP
ajent

ajent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well that is a little upsetting news, lol thanks for the heads up though.

I will defiantly post back once I get to the dealer.

chris h.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try out Carmax, they do free estimates and you don't have to buy anything from them. They gave me $31k for my 2012 Sport last year. Only downside is you end up paying more taxes on the new truck.

BTW nice Duc

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well that is a little upsetting news, lol thanks for the heads up though.

I will defiantly post back once I get to the dealer.

I have found that if you play hard ball it works in the right situation. I let them tell me what they would give me for my Durango and when it came back low really low at $9000 I said no way I need 14k or I am not buying this truck. They talked about and they said okay. So I paid what they wanted for the used Ram I bought and they paid what I wanted. They still made money but I felt good about it and made the deal possible.

Reactions: Ike

stokes.greg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I traded 2 weeks ago I told them I wanted 27000 for my 2011 tacoma. Let them talk a while then I left and called them an hour later. They gave me 27100 for mine and came down 7000 off list on theirs. They gotta know you will walk if not happy.

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I traded 2 weeks ago I told them I wanted 27000 for my 2011 tacoma. Let them talk a while then I left and called them an hour later. They gave me 27100 for mine and came down 7000 off list on theirs. They gotta know you will walk if not happy.

From what Im told the Tacoma is a very popular truck, Dealers are getting top dollar for them. Demand has a lot to do with what you get. Book price seems out the window anymore.

When I bought my '12 Laramie dealer offered me $4500 for my '04 Silverado, I took it to Carmax and they gave me $6000. When I traded my '12 Laramie last week (that I bought in Jan) I owed $29600 Dealer gave me $32000 and I kept the wheels and tires for the new truck. Sometimes it depends on how bad they want to sell you a new vehicle. Sometimes it depends on how bad you want the new vehicle.
Ike

Last edited:

KickToTheJunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only numbers I ever discuss are price for my trade and price ill pay for the new vehicle.

I NEVER discuss payments or interest rates...
Tell them a payment, they'll pick a higher interest rate to raise the payment up to $20-50 more than you said and work down to $10-20 more than what you said and never under what you said.

If you tell them "I'm paying 4.8% now..." They know you'll pay at or just above that. Then they jack the rate up or add warranties to make up the money they didn't already take from your budget.

Discuss trade in price
Discuss purchase price
Leave it there.

Once that's agreed, tell them about any down payment you have. You could have $10k in cash in your pocket... Doesn't matter to them. They won't move the price more cos you walk in with 10 racks.

Keep the poker hand close to the vest and wear boots.

You will win.

Reactions: Ike

Texasez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
^^^ what he said. Shop around on your trade and get a feel for where its at. Personally I've always got more at a dealer then carmax. Once you got an idea of yours figure out invoice in the one you want and rebates. I try and have a good idea of the difference and I try to stick to that number. If you can find one locally like yours it helps to see what other dealers are listing them at. Good luck. It's a kick in the balls either way.

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As far as interest rates, the dealer told me they could get me 2.45% and I would not do better than that. Went to my bank and got 1.9% dont settle for what they tell you is the best rate.

As far as dealer giving you more for your trade, it may seem that way, but they are making up for it somewhere. I believe its better to sell your car somewhere else and have the cash when doing the deal.

Ike