Trailer brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keithert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tow a 3500 pound popup camper that has electric brakes. A friend said that a brake controller was not necessary because the 7 pin connector will provide electric power to the brakes. A controller would just allow me to fine tune how it applies the braking power. He said for a smaller trailer like mine that wasn't needed. Is this right?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

keithert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
e1a6676672a3abd08cd6c7f4c710b865.jpg

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
without a brake controller your trailer brakes wont function. with a 3500lb trailer you could get away without using the brakes, but if the trailer has brakes, you might as well use them imo. some states require them with trailers over 3000lbs i believe.

SirMarco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What would you set the controller at? I have wondered this since looking at the one on my truck.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
For the brakes to work you must have a controller. With 3500lbs it's kinda iffy if I would personally get one. I pull cars and bigger trailers so I already have one. You can get a cheeper one off amazon that works as good as the factory for half the cost the only down fall is it's not a clean install. If you get one just make sure it's a proportinal one not time delayed. About 100 bucks with wiring harness. All trailers are different To set a controller you want to set it at about 5 gain pull the manual slider and see if it holds your truck in gear no brakes on. Secondly go about 15mph and pull the slider if they lock up it's to high if you feel it slowing the truck down your pretty close to right. With 3500 lbs you probably need 3-4 gain is all.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I tow a 3500 pound popup camper that has electric brakes. A friend said that a brake controller was not necessary because the 7 pin connector will provide electric power to the brakes. A controller would just allow me to fine tune how it applies the braking power. He said for a smaller trailer like mine that wasn't needed. Is this right?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Definitely get one. You can get a Prodigy controller for about $150.

One thing, besides stopping, it does allow you to apply only the trailer brake. If the trailer is severing left to right you can apply only the trailer brake to stop it.

Last edited:

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wouldn't tow without one. Sure, you can do it, but the moment you get into a panic stop situation you'll wish you had use of more brake power. Aftermarket Prodigy will work very well and like was mentioned by 14hemiexpress, 3-4 volts should do it just fine. You can order the "plug and play" wiring harness at the same time if you don't have the factory one.

Last edited:

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
What would you set the controller at? I have wondered this since looking at the one on my truck.

There is a procedure you go through to establish the setting.

Check Youtube or your manual.