Trailer brake problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codyjc2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hey all, just picked up a Big Tex 22gn 35+5 trailer. My truck is a 2012 3500 Lonestar and it has the integrated brake controller. Last night before I picked up the trailer it started showing "CF" with a trailer and exclamation point. When I yank the break away pin, it changes to "56." The trailer lights are on and everything else works except the brakes. I scanned the codes and got a new one, U0137. Anyone ever had this problem?

Attachments

• 20160109_162846.jpg
    20160109_162846.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 20160109_162827.jpg
    20160109_162827.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 277

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Quick Google search -> from a post on the "dodgetalk" forum:

"there are many things that can cause this. The led display in the itbm ( integrated trailer brake module) will give you a hint about what is causing the fault . If the is a "sb" sometime looks like the number 56. This indicate a short to battery on the brake output . This most of the time is caused by poor grounds on the trailer wiring or water is the trailer tow connecter. If there is more that 1.5 volts on the brake output prior to the the brake going on it will se the SB fault.

If the is a "SC" on the display . this indicates a short circuit fault . Short to ground of some sort or a defective module.

last is "CF" configuration fault . typically wont see this fault unless something in the system is bad . Loss of communication to the ABS module , PCM . It indicate the itbm is not getting messages that it need in order to drive the trailer brake . ie speed data or brake applied communication messages. Look for issues outside of the module . blown fuses of sorted communication line . if you have shorted com line - the itbm will be the least of your problems.
Hope this helps"

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
so how do you fix the sb code problem? mine comes up every time it rains and the camper is on the truck and plugged in.

chris h.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so how do you fix the sb code problem? mine comes up every time it rains and the camper is on the truck and plugged in.

I had this same problem every time I washed my Harley. Easy solution was to fill up the connector with dielectric grease. Keeps the water out and connections dry.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
with no trailer connected does the brake controller show any error codes?

JKinni

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Has anyone corrected this issue?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Jkinni,

This is a very old post, (2016)

what exactly is yours doing ?
Please list what you see with your Ram & or trailer

JKinni

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Dealer found that something caught the wiring harness under the pick up and cut most of the wires. They repaired and everything works fine. Now I get an interment CF code but only shows when it’s cold. Once truck is warmed up it clears. I have not had any problem towing and breaks working cold or not.

twlyons1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Laramie 4x4 crew 8' dually
First time receiving the (SB) (56) , 5th wheel when first plugged in all the park lights worked and when I found the raise controller i noticed the park lights were off, figured i had turned them back off but no power when connected to trailer from round 7......I kept pushing and moving it for better connection and realized the park lights were off but park lights came back on ONLY at HALF brightness but the lights were off in pickup. I disconnected and went home and did not find any fuse problems but the cord strain relief on the trailer seemed to move ALOT.. late today,,look at in morning... Ill check trailer wiring. ( Moving for friend in Mexico) Trailer only 6-7 years old, I hauled it home from dealer when he bought it new.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've had similar problems with my 2012 and 2016. I simply sprayed the pins with electronics cleaner and filled with dielectric grease. Never had any issues after that.