Trans and Rear Diff fluid change questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Im looking for the correct info on the fluid capacites for my Ram.

09 1500 2wd Auto LSD

I wanted to have the dealer change the trans fluid and filters. But after crunching the #'s, I can buy all the fluid (I believe) from Advance for $140 using promo code WD28 (35% off). Thats 3 bottles of RP 75w140 and 6 bottles of RP Max ATF.

Now the RP 75w140 says there is no need to add the LSD modifier.... But manual calls for it. Any truth to this?

Also, Advance has Driveworks filter for the Trans filters for under $30. Thats for both filters and the gasket?

As far as gaskets... RTV for both or rubber/Felpro gaskets....

YES IM A NOOB when it comes to this stuff

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No you do not need friction modifier, you have a helical lsd which doesn't require modifier.
I believe people use RTV for the rear diff to seal it. The diffs are easy to change by yourself, so is the trans of you are just dropping the pan and changing the filter.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You don't need a modifier unless you do. Generally speaking that is something you can go back and add if you don't like how you are shifting after the oil change. The biggest problem you will have is getting the oil out of the torque convertor. Dropping the pan is the way to go, but you also have to either get your oil out of the TC or put pan back, run it, and take off and add another 6qrts, this in effect will dilute the old oil with new oil, and is way better then what you would get from the dealer or oil change center. I'll PM you what one guy did, can't post it because it is from another forum. As far as capacity on the tranny flush, just get your oil locally at a place that will take back what you don't use with no problems. I say get 18 quarts depending on the procedure you go with. I believe the capacity is 14 or 16, I forget:)

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
If you just dropping the pan you should only need about 7-8 qts.
I bought 10 just to be safe.

I'm actually doing it this weekend. I bought a dorman 4x4 deeper pan, which also comes with a drain plug. $27..

Im going to use supertech atf+4 fluid. $4.xx at walmart
All ATF+4 are the same, there's no reason to get the "im so cool Royal Purple"
Read
Anyone Use Supertech ATF+4 | ATF, Differential, Trans, Brakes, P/S | Bob Is The Oil Guy

OP
OP
Big Boi

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ok so no RP.

How are you draining 10 qts Blown

545RFE 2wd takes 5.5 quarts on a pan drain and 16.9 quarts on a complete dry fill.

OP
OP
Big Boi

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Also I called my local dealer and the recommend a flush over a pan droo5. They stated that the service for 60k calls for a flush. No filter changes, just a full 17qt flush

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The problem is that flushes are dangerous. The reason why they recommend it is because it is easy for them to use the flush machine, not because it is what is best for you and your truck. Do some research on transmission flushes and find out more for opting for that. One real good option is to chnage your pan since you are dropping it anyway and put one with a drain plug for your future changes.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Ok so no RP.

How are you draining 10 qts Blown

545RFE 2wd takes 5.5 quarts on a pan drain and 16.9 quarts on a complete dry fill.

From what I have read it takes like 7-8. I just bought 10 just to be safe and also because I will be using the little deeper 4wd pan.

If you want to get most of the old fluid out. You would drop the pan, change the fluid, then drop again couple 100 miles later change it again..

OP
OP
Big Boi

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for the info guys. I have decided to do the work myself. I could all along, but thought it was worth the $$$ to let the dealer do the dirty work. But after talking with several dealerships, I wouldn't be confident that they would have my best interests at heart. I'm using all Valvoline btw

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
what about amsoil full synthetic?

OP
OP
Big Boi

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I seriously thought about Amsoil, and got a great quote from I believe J&S Lubes. But I personally dont know anyone running Amsoil. I just stuck to the basics. Thx again guys

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The diff in your truck is a clutch type, you will need a friction modifier if the fluid you bought doesn't have any it. They didn't change the rear diffs till 2011, now the use a bevel gear limited slip.

As for the transmission, technically the best thing to do is change the filters and a flush. You shouldn't run into issues doing a flush as long as you go by the recommended intervals. Doing a flush can cause issues when a transmission hasn't had them done regularly on time. If a flush is done on a trans way past it's service interval, the flush can dislodge gunk that has settled into spots. This gunk now gets circulated through the transmission and can cause all sorts of issues.

If it was mine, I would just drop the pan and change the filters, you could do this twice to try to get all the fluid but it should be ok doing it just the once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01