Transfer case stuck in neutral?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Turns out the shift fork was bent and those pieces I found in the fluid were part of but they don't know what caused it to fail. Got a complete rebuild plus gasket and fluid so now she's ready to go back in.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had this trouble on my 2014 1500 there was a problem with the wire harness to the transfer case had bad corrosion the worst part was I I needed not only the harness but the motor cost was around 500cdn

There's a big plug attached to the inner fende ron the drivers side that apparently corrodes bad and causes issues with the t-case.One of our guys was a foreman at an FCA shop and he told me to split this connector and fill it with dilectric grease when I first brought my 15 SLT home.

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I noticed my ESP/BAS and Traction Control lights come on when I'm in 4wd lo, I've never used low before so is this normal or is there something going on with my transfer case?

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
4 lo disables the TCS system. My 2011 did the same thing. Not sure about the ESP/BAS but it does kinda make sense since it relies on the TCS to function properly.

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
4 lo disables the TCS system. My 2011 did the same thing. Not sure about the ESP/BAS but it does kinda make sense since it relies on the TCS to function properly.

Thanks for the info, after reading the OM it appears that this is normal when in 4wd lo.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
There's a big plug attached to the inner fende ron the drivers side that apparently corrodes bad and causes issues with the t-case.One of our guys was a foreman at an FCA shop and he told me to split this connector and fill it with dilectric grease when I first brought my 15 SLT home.
do you have a pic of the connector.

The DodgeFather

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you sure it's not in tow mode i.e. Towing behind a motor home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The DodgeFather

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4WD Models With Electronic Transfer Case
Note:
The electronic shift transfer case must be shifted into NEUTRAL for recreational towing. Automatic transmissions must be shifted into the PARK position for recreational towing. Refer to the following procedure for the proper transfer case NEUTRAL shifting procedure for your vehicle.

Preparation For Recreational Towing – Electronic Shift Transfer Case
Use the following procedure to prepare your vehicle for recreational towing:

Bring the vehicle to a complete stop, turn the ignition key to the ON/RUN position, but do not start the engine.

Press the brake pedal and shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.

Press and hold the transfer case switch NEUTRAL button for four seconds.

After the shift is completed and the NEUTRAL light turns on, release the NEUTRAL button.

Start the engine and shift the transmission into REVERSE.

Release the brake pedal for five seconds and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.

Repeat the previous two steps with the transmission in DRIVE.

Remove the key fob from the ignition switch.

Shift the transmission into PARK and apply the parking brake.

Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle with the tow bar and release the parking brake.

Note:
The first two steps are requirements that must be met prior to depressing the NEUTRAL button, and must continue to be met until the four seconds elapse and the shift has been completed. If any of these requirements (with the exception of Key ON) are not met prior to depressing the NEUTRAL button or are no longer met during the four second timer, then the NEUTRAL indicator light will flash continuously until all requirements are met or until the NEUTRAL button is released.

The flashing NEUTRAL indicator light indicates that shift requirements have not been met.

Refer to your Owner's Manual on the DVD for further details.

CAUTION:
Failure to follow these requirements can cause severe damage to the transmission and/or transfer case.

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's normal my 12 does it too.

Yep, my OM says that's how it works which is good to know since I've never used 4lo. Looks like I'm good to go.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Good to hear. glad they were able to repair. I wonder how that fork got bent in the first place.

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not sure, those plastic pieces may have broke earlier causing it to get bent. They also mentioned that I may have to get the truck reflashed because the t-case is basically brand new but so far it seems to be working perfectly.