Transmission Flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Stopped at the dealer and they could get my truck in immediately so I'm getting my tranny flushed. Service guy def recommended it over just draining the pan, but I'm still nervous. I'll report back on how it drives afterwards.
Truck is a '12 with 66k.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
had my 11 done, about 6 months ago. after the fact i was told that is the worst thing to do. i had no issue. also had the filters changed.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I always change the filter when I do it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How can you change the filter with a flush? When you flush, you run the fluid back through the tranny, not through the filter first. If there is any debris, it will end up in your clutch packs, good luck with that. A complete way to do it would be pump the pan out with a cheap pump, drop the pan and change filters add back fluid, make sure pan is clean and then your flush would be less dangerous. Dealer flushes are inexpensive at oil stop, I think they quoted me 90 bucks which is really low, I would ask what that entails. But whatever, when you flush your transmission you are taking a risk to gain a benefit, at least realize that.

Chances are you don't have debris in the lines past the filter, that is what is lubricating. Chances are you do have debris before the filter, those machines will under pressure blow past that debris. Some machines are even worse, they send a solvent through first to dislodge the debris and send it the wrong way through the tranny. Reverse flush machines have been talked about forever, but I have yet to see or hear about one. If anyone knows, post that up.

Is running dirty/older fluid also a risk? Not much if that tranny is running under 200F. I get the urge to run clean fluids, but either bite the bullet and go allin, or take a pass would be what I would do.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How can you change the filter with a flush? When you flush, you run the fluid back through the tranny, not through the filter first. If there is any debris, it will end up in your clutch packs, good luck with that. A complete way to do it would be pump the pan out with a cheap pump, drop the pan and change filters add back fluid, make sure pan is clean and then your flush would be less dangerous. Dealer flushes are inexpensive at oil stop, I think they quoted me 90 bucks which is really low, I would ask what that entails. But whatever, when you flush your transmission you are taking a risk to gain a benefit, at least realize that.

Chances are you don't have debris in the lines past the filter, that is what is lubricating. Chances are you do have debris before the filter, those machines will under pressure blow past that debris. Some machines are even worse, they send a solvent through first to dislodge the debris and send it the wrong way through the tranny. Reverse flush machines have been talked about forever, but I have yet to see or hear about one. If anyone knows, post that up.

Is running dirty/older fluid also a risk? Not much if that tranny is running under 200F. I get the urge to run clean fluids, but either bite the bullet and go allin, or take a pass would be what I would do.

where i had mine done, trans was flushed with trans fluid, fluid was pushed through in normal direction at normal trans pressure. when dirty fluid was completely removed. pan was dropped and filter changed. new fluid added to bring up the level to normal.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Never flush a tranny. Just change the filters and use redline C+

kind of like an oil change and only removing 3 quarts and thenlet the new oil dilute with the dirty oil.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you stay on top of things and you change it regularly flushes are a waste of money

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
where i had mine done, trans was flushed with trans fluid, fluid was pushed through in normal direction at normal trans pressure. when dirty fluid was completely removed. pan was dropped and filter changed. new fluid added to bring up the level to normal.

Where was that done? How much? Sounds good.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My transmission oil was dirty after 5k miles after I bought it brand new 6 years ago, I just don't worry about it unless your transmission starts sticking. This summer I will do the DILLIGAF flush, just because jegs had a sale on Redline and there is no risk this way.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
kind of like an oil change and only removing 3 quarts and thenlet the new oil dilute with the dirty oil.

I'm done with changing transmission fluid,with this 8 speed and a lifetime warranty. :favorites13:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Unless Ram shuts it's doors, lol.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've got the most trouble free method of all - my tranny blew up and was rebuilt @ 38K miles. It's still got problems and I feel as though it's going to blow up again here in a bit (now at 50K). I figure if it blows up every 35k miles or so and with my lifetime warranty I don't have to worry about fluid changes :)

This whole flush vs not has been argued about for years. With my old Duramax/Allison it was particularly funny as Chevy said flush every *** miles and Allison said don't ever flush. I never quite could figure that one out.

In the past I try to just do what I need to in order to keep a warranty in place. After that I just do frequent drain/fill/filter changes. I got talked into a flush once at a quickie-lube place on my 99 F150. Next day it started slipping and clunking. The next day it got traded in.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Service guy def recommended it over just draining the pan, but I'm still nervous.

no surprise there. its a heck of a lot easier for him to just hook it up to the machine to flush it out then it is to drop the pan, change the filters, put it all back together, wait for rtv to cure and add fluid.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yup yup ^^^^^^^^.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Allison said don't ever flush.

Most telling post ever, I double checked since you posted that, it is everywhere, they say do not flush their tranny's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JJP71584

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well truck is done and shifting is smooth. As long as my transmission doesn't grenade itself from some dislodged debris, I'm a happy customer.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jaxyaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It won't grenade right away, I think the best Chrysler method for their transmissions is not change them at all, let em blow, rebuild and repeat. In my experience you get the same result. In all fairness to Chrysler, Fords and Chevy transmissions are not much better.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
no surprise there. its a heck of a lot easier for him to just hook it up to the machine to flush it out then it is to drop the pan, change the filters, put it all back together, wait for rtv to cure and add fluid.

Just pure laziness, this is why I never go to stealerships. what's the point of a flush if you dont change the filters... lol...

Heck I was able to buy a Mag-Hytec Trans pan, MOPAR filters ( on ebay ) and Redline C+ oil and it still cost me less than what the stealership wanted.... *****