Transmission question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just curious, is there any way to tell what gear the transmission is in other than counting out the shifts on the 8 speed? Are there any options on the dash to show your actual gear like ford has?

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Use the shift button on the steering wheel. Go down to 7th and I think you can go back to eighth. And you will be able to see what gears it's in on the dash .

naumaa1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Use the shift button on the steering wheel. Go down to 7th and I think you can go back to eighth. And you will be able to see what gears it's in on the dash .

This will do it

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8

Correct, but be aware this also turns off MDS. Some people like that, others do not.

The programming is in there to be able to see it without this extra step, they just didn't implement it. The Jeep Grand Cherokees, which have a very similar setup software-wise, have the ability (just a setting that can be turned on or off) to show the gear next to the P R N D indicator on the dash (EVIC).

sport-mode.jpg
Ignore the "sport mode." The Jeep can be setup to display the gears in that spot all the time, sport mode or no sport mode. Credit for the picture goes to Allpar.

OP
OP
Cmsharp

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info guys. Sometimes when im on a roadtrip i get curious if im ever in 8th gear. Love the forum!

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine is running at around 1400 RPM at 70. That's in 8th with 3.21 gears.