transmission temperate sensor location ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doug2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone where the transmission temperature sensor is located on a 2009 with the 545rfe trans. I cant seem to find it anywhere online

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It's going to be attached to the valvebody.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's on top of the valve body if I remember the schematic correctly...

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It's on top of the valve body if I remember the schematic correctly...

Been awhile since I've had one out but I'm pretty sure your right.

OP
OP
doug2013

doug2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
in the oil pan or outside ? i cant find any pictures of where its located

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
in the oil pan or outside ? i cant find any pictures of where its located

It is attached to the valvebody on top. So in order to get to it you have to remove the transmission pan, remove the filter, disconnect the electrical connector by the linkage, remove the valvebody bolts, then remove the valvebody assembly.

It's not a 5 min job, if you've never done it before, expect it to take a couple hours.

NicksGarage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I know this is an old thread, but has anyone ever had one of these go bad where it gives false readings? I'm having an intermittent problem with my 2009 where the transmission temperature on the gauge shoots up but the temperature at the cooler doesn't seem to match. At first I was thinking the cooler was plugged up but it doesn't seem to be. Of course once the temperature on the gauge goes over a certain level, the trans goes into limp in mode which causes all kinds of issues. I went on a 1000 mile trip towing my 3000 pound travel trailer in May and no issues. But towing my empty car trailer 35 miles caused it to go into limp in mode.

Before I tear into the transmission to replace the transmission solenoid assembly, where the sensor is located, I wanted to know if this is a plausible cause.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I haven't had to change one on a Ram but I can tell you I've changed them on Ford trucks with the same symptoms and it was the temp sensor in the valve body everytime.
Check the harness first though for any chafe.

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Does your truck have the cooler bypass valve? I can’t recall off the top of my head if an 09 will have it, but some have a cooler bypass. Basically looks like a small metal block that the cooler lines go into as they come out of the transmission.

NicksGarage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Does your truck have the cooler bypass valve? I can’t recall off the top of my head if an 09 will have it, but some have a cooler bypass. Basically looks like a small metal block that the cooler lines go into as they come out of the transmission.
No, that started later.

As for the harness, I would assume that it is ok since I am getting temperature readings. I'll have to get the truck up on the lift to inspect it further.