Truck locked me out today with keys inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So in the middle of the worst snow storm this year I go out start my truck and start cleaning off the snow... As I'm walking around the truck I hear a click!!! Oh crap.. my truck just locked me out with it running. I was under the impression this wasn't possible? I know in my previous two cars, Cadillac and Infiniti it wasn't. Had to call the police to get me in. Is there a setting in the evic that will prevent this from happening?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Thats def not good, I have the drone system in my truck it allows me monitor via gps location and ability to start it from anywhere. So as long my phone stays in my pocket I can at least get back into my vehicle via the app.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah that's awesome. I'm wondering if there is a system or there I can get. I have the factory remote start though.

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So in the middle of the worst snow storm this year I go out start my truck and start cleaning off the snow... As I'm walking around the truck I hear a click!!! Oh crap.. my truck just locked me out with it running. I was under the impression this wasn't possible? I know in my previous two cars, Cadillac and Infiniti it wasn't. Had to call the police to get me in. Is there a setting in the evic that will prevent this from happening?

I had this happen to me once in the driveway while washing the truck. Thought it was just a weird coincidence. But I always from now on, take the key fob out if I am any distance from home.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so if you get the Uconnect system you can remote unlock it with the app.... I got lucky on mine for some random reason I opened the rear sliding glass window and my wife was able to fit into it lol.

Def a problem though.. just know you are not alone

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so if you get the Uconnect system you can remote unlock it with the app.... I got lucky on mine for some random reason I opened the rear sliding glass window and my wife was able to fit into it lol.

I don't think it's available in the 2011. I have a loaded Longhorn but I'm pretty sure it's not available.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
That is a bummer, I had a spare key made from the emergency key that came with the FOB.. Keep it in my wallet for that oh **** moment

Agree, Mine won't lock if the fob is in my pocket but I left the fob in my golfbag in the box and it locked. Luckily I had the spare key.

It's possible the signal is only as strong as necessary when you are close and if the fob in in the console or other protected area the system doesn't see it and will lock the doors.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Agree, Mine won't lock if the fob is in my pocket but I left the fob in my golfbag in the box and it locked. Luckily I had the spare key.

It's possible the signal is only as strong as necessary when you are close and if the fob in in the console or other protected area the system doesn't see it and will lock the doors.

So far so good for me , I have not locked myself out in years :) BUT always carried a spare key, even w/o the FOB in hand I can unlock the door :) .. Always told my daughter to carry a spare and she blew it off :O guess what She locked her keys in her car lol Daddy knows best :)

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think it's available in the 2011. I have a loaded Longhorn but I'm pretty sure it's not available.

I did not see that sorry buddy.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Which app are you talking about, thanks in advance

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Which app are you talking about, thanks in advance
We can't get it man, just a US thing sadly. It's a paid service that Chrysler has

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can however get Directed Viper Smart Start.
So I've tried to lock my keys in my vehicle before with the intention of using my phone later and it set off my trucks alarm and wouldn't lock the doors. Thought it was a neat safety feature for the truck.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Uconnect, I can locate the vehicle on map, lock/unlock/remote start/panic, it's also shows the current fuel level, oil life and mileage all from any device.

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I keep a Hida Key hidden on my truck that has a key in it that only unlocks the door, you can't start the truck with it. Then Hidden somewhere in the truck I have an extra key that starts the truck. That way if I ever loose my keys somewhere I'm never stranded.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Uconnect, I can locate the vehicle on map, lock/unlock/remote start/panic, it's also shows the current fuel level, oil life and mileage all from any device.

What version app are you using. Mine doesn't show fuel or oil or milage.

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
E N J O Y ! ! !

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP i dont think a lot of people that are commenting are realizing you have a 2011. it doesnt have the phone app u-connect available. it also doesnt have the push button start either. with your fob i thought there was a setting in the evac to make it so you had to actively lock it.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP i dont think a lot of people that are commenting are realizing you have a 2011. it doesnt have the phone app u-connect available. it also doesnt have the push button start either. with your fob i thought there was a setting in the evac to make it so you had to actively lock it.
Yeah, it seems they missed the post where I did it's a 2011 with no uconnect app. I was able to go in the evic and **** off the auto lock feature. So hopefully that will help, but I'm not counting on that. I'll get a second key made off of the key inside the fob and hide it somewhere just in case.