Tundra guy thinking about making the jump..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

curboys

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
New guy here. I know traditionally I should be making an introductory post, but I figured I'd get right to the core.

I've been a Tundra guy since 2006 when I purchased my first Toyota Tundra.
I currently own a 2013 Tundra Platinum. Haven't had any issues with the Tundra's that I've owned. Really appreciate the quality that can be found in Toyota products. But I've become very frustrated that Toyota doesn't address fuel economy issues with the Tundra except for adding a 38 gallon gas tank. They've also been slow to add LED lighting and collision avoidance technology. And to top it off the Tundra's look to much like a Ford with that gawdy looking grille. Nothing stylish about it.

Over the last few months I've become attracted to the appearance of Ram Trucks. Aggressive and bold yet stylish. I've been looking at the Laramies, Laramie Longhorn, and Laramie Limited. Really like the Limited but it comes with a hefty price tag.

I guess my question for you Ram Truck guys is "Am I going to regret making the jump to a Ram Truck ?" Does the Ram quality match / exceed that of
Toyota's?

Thanks for ya'lls time.
John Curry

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey John,

Need I say more?

:roflsquared:

All kidding aside, I just bought this Rebel today. It looks low because it has air suspension and it's in "in and out" mode, 3" lowered from driving height easy to get in and out. This truck is AMAZING. Just go test drive one, you'll be hooked.

Attachments

• 20170818_182625.jpg
    20170818_182625.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 20170818_182633.jpg
    20170818_182633.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 140

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
New guy here. I know traditionally I should be making an introductory post, but I figured I'd get right to the core.

I currently own a 2013 Tundra Platinum. Haven't had any issues with the Tundra's that I've owned. Really appreciate the quality that can be found in Toyota products. But I've become very frustrated that Toyota doesn't address fuel economy issues with the Tundra except for adding a 38 gallon gas tank. They've also been slow to add LED lighting and collision avoidance technology. And to top it off the Tundra's look to much like a Ford with that gawdy looking grille. Nothing stylish about it.

Over the last few months I've become attracted to the appearance of Ram Trucks. Aggressive and bold yet stylish. I've been looking at the Laramies, Laramie Longhorn, and Laramie Limited. Really like the Limited but it comes with a hefty price tag.

I guess my question for you Ram Truck guys is "Am I going to regret making the jump to a Ram Truck ?" Does the Ram quality match / exceed that of
Toyota's?

Thanks for ya'lls time.
John Curry

You will start to be attracted to the service department because you'll be seeing a lot of it, your are correct with the looks and features of a ram but no comparison in longevity in *** trucks especially now that they are making the cummins trucks.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Toyota's?

Thanks for ya'lls time.
John Curry
Ok so, I own a 2016 4runner TRD PRO along with my ram. Obviously trying to compare the two is apples and oranges however I have FOUR good buddies who also own newer tacoma TRD 's so based off of that (no tundra experience other then embarrassing the hell out of em when they wanna race lol) you will be IN LOVE with a ram Laramie. Hands down beats toyota In every dang way possible if you ask me and a Laramie or Laramie longhorn is WAY nicer inside then my absolute very tip top model 2016 4runner. Here's a pic of my 4runner so you can see I ain't bsing lol
5b10c913558747c08b19d844323526cd.jpg
6d09d6cb7ec1ac61ba95052bd72d1c22.jpg
c6fbe2ace152c0a0f170653757b8bb3d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think most everyone is going to side with Ram. Sure you would get a different variation of opinion on a Tundra forum. Lol...Never owned a Tundra. Never disliked the body style. Never actually been inside one. Overall, from what members have said that have had a Tundra or friends with one, Ram is an overall better quality. I am on my second Ram and an very happy with it. Had two Fords prior, probably won't own another one. I'm sure the details you are looking for are to follow.

We're rooting for you!!!

:happy107:

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry don't know why it flipped the pics

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a 2006 Tacoma and a 2012 4Runner. The comfort isn't there. My 4 Runner would have run forever, but it was very "Low-Tech"......plus my wife didn't like the passenger seat very much. Rams are pretty solid vehicles. Love mine.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My last Toyota was a 92 Tercel (my first new car) and my family has all owned Toyota's mostly Camry's and Avalon's and I could never get past the appliance like manner of them. Quality, sure but soul, nah. I will say that I did not even test drive the Tundra as in the past the Toyota dealers are not willing to play ball when it comes to negotiating. After one hour of back and forth at the RAM dealer I paid 1k more than I went in asking for with my trade in.

I'm in my very first pickup and absolutely love the Laramie Longhorn, the interior and quality of the leather and real wood outclasses many luxury nameplates. I've got less than 3k on her now but can certainly say if she were totaled tomorrow I would be looking for another Longhorn. Good luck with your decision.

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have never been in a newer tundra however I really like my RAM. If you're looking into getting a higher end trim model I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

Attachments

• IMG_4111.jpg
    IMG_4111.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 96

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That above post is as legit as it gets

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a nice taco

Ok so, I own a 2016 4runner TRD PRO along with my ram. Obviously trying to compare the two is apples and oranges however I have FOUR good buddies who also own newer tacoma TRD 's so based off of that (no tundra experience other then embarrassing the hell out of em when they wanna race lol) you will be IN LOVE with a ram Laramie. Hands down beats toyota In every dang way possible if you ask me and a Laramie or Laramie longhorn is WAY nicer inside then my absolute very tip top model 2016 4runner. Here's a pic of my 4runner so you can see I ain't bsing lol
5b10c913558747c08b19d844323526cd.jpg
6d09d6cb7ec1ac61ba95052bd72d1c22.jpg
c6fbe2ace152c0a0f170653757b8bb3d.jpg

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will start to be attracted to the service department because you'll be seeing a lot of it, your are correct with the looks and features of a ram but no comparison in longevity in *** trucks especially now that they are making the cummins trucks.
Strongly disagree and this is coming from someone who actually owns a new top model "*** truck." My 4runner has under 20k on it and it had seen the Toyota service dept 3 times for issues (that were warranty fixed.) My 2007 ram with 74k miles has seen a service dept 3 times, a coil pack going bad, a water pump going bad and a injector (all covered by warranty.) So yeah, the "*** truck" is already caught up to the 10 year old hemi so pfffffffft to your claim lol. Not to mention the GOD AWFUL ZERO power. And look up ANY hemi that has been maintained by someone who actually knows something and see the miles they get to.... your dead wrong

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That claim that Toyotas dont break down is pure crap, they break down just like all of them I know enough people that own them to know they get fixed just as much.
Yeah i actually own a new one and can verify so pffft to anyone that says otherwise. I honestly like my 4runner, I gets a ton of looks and rides very smooth on and off road. But I have had WAY more issues at such a low mileage then I ever would have expected and it is 100% gutless, and the interior is very basic/generic AND my less then a year old vinyl is already fading to grey so there..... will it last me a long time I am still confident in saying yes... can it in anyway shape or form compare to the power or quality of a Laramie longhorn hemi absolutely not in any way

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Funny how people think that Toyota is never broken.

I know a Toyota tech and he tells me things. I laugh at the things he tells me.

Heck, Does your Ram dealership have a day care, coffee shop, donut shop and lounges?!

My buddy had a 2013 Tundra and he has a number of issues with valve cover gaskets leaking on the passenger side.

He left it and went to a 2500 Megacab CTD.. he said that Toyota has NOTHING to his Ram, he is even Asian... the only thing he misses is the Toyota rear window.. how the entire thing rolls down.. he really misses that..

I'd test drive a few and get a feel..

DRIVE .. DRIVE and DRIVE..

Heck, see if they will let you 'borrow' the one you want over night. Some dealerships will allow this.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny how people think that Toyota is never broken.

I know a Toyota tech and he tells me things. I laugh at the things he tells me.

Heck, Does your Ram dealership have a day care, coffee shop, donut shop and lounges?!

My buddy had a 2013 Tundra and he has a number of issues with valve cover gaskets leaking on the passenger side.

He left it and went to a 2500 Megacab CTD.. he said that Toyota has NOTHING to his Ram, he is even Asian... the only thing he misses is the Toyota rear window.. how the entire thing rolls down.. he really misses that..

I'd test drive a few and get a feel..

DRIVE .. DRIVE and DRIVE..

Heck, see if they will let you 'borrow' the one you want over night. Some dealerships will allow this.
Kinda funny, I always thought the back window rolling down was super cool until I had it and realized it makes not a dang single difference lol at least in mine. However it does come in handy when I travel with my dog as he loves having that back window open so I guess it does kinda come in handy for me

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So do you want a 1/2 ton or a 3/4 ton?
I know a lot of guys get into a tundra thinking it is a 3/4 ton and when they realize it's not what they expected they then move to one of the " Big 3 " 3/4 tons-
Let's keep this on point-
What are your needs? what are your wants?

As far as crash collision/ "Self parking/self backing"... personally that **** scares the **** outta me-

Last edited:

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Strongly disagree and this is coming from someone who actually owns a new top model "*** truck." My 4runner has under 20k on it and it had seen the Toyota service dept 3 times for issues (that were warranty fixed.) My 2007 ram with 74k miles has seen a service dept 3 times, a coil pack going bad, a water pump going bad and a injector (all covered by warranty.) So yeah, the "*** truck" is already caught up to the 10 year old hemi so pfffffffft to your claim lol. Not to mention the GOD AWFUL ZERO power. And look up ANY hemi that has been maintained by someone who actually knows something and see the miles they get to.... your dead wrong

You own a 4Runner. Not a *** truck. Let's compare the 4Runner to something in its class next time. Also the 3rd gen ram is arguably one of worst quality trucks made in the past 20 years. So there's not much to stand on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You own a 4Runner. Not a *** truck. Let's compare the 4Runner to something in its class next time. Also the 3rd gen ram is arguably one of worst quality trucks made in the past 20 years. So there's not much to stand on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what are you driving?