Tundra guy thinking about making the jump..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevinsayers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So I was basically in the same position about a year ago . . . I was in a '14 Tundra Platinum and moved into a loaded '16 RAM Sport . . .

TBH, there are days that I miss the Tundra . . . and there are days when I wonder why I was ever in a Tundra (instead of the RAM). That said, if I was shopping now (in Fall of '17) . . . I would definitely go with the RAM. The Tundra is severely outdated and with the exception of the engine, not in a good way. The RAM far surpasses the Tundra in nearly every category. And it's not just small improvements . . . it's light year's ahead in terms of ride quality, technology, storage, powertrain options, etc.

Looking ahead though . . . I am really interested to compare the two redesigns coming for both. I expect the RAM will be more revolutionary than the Tundra, but who knows.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You own a 4Runner. Not a *** truck. Let's compare the 4Runner to something in its class next time. Also the 3rd gen ram is arguably one of worst quality trucks made in the past 20 years. So there's not much to stand on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You own a new toyota anything right now you can post up a pic and speak on? Didn't think so, talking out of turn. You know about as much as a **** if you think the 3rd gen is one of the worst quality trucks ever made and unlike my statements yours literally have zero backing whatsoever. I also stated in the beginning comparing my 4runner to a truck is apples to oranges so you got nothing on me there again. Judging by just how you speak and say "*** truck" I can tell we are on different levels though. Miss me next time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Crawgator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Tundra guy: I purchased my 2017 Rebel back in May. I looked at the Tundra's and liked the truck but knowing about the lack of mpg's, I decided to go with the Rebel. My last truck was a 2005 Z71 5.3L with 255,000 miles with the original motor and transmission. I wanted more horsepower than what the the 5.3L delivered so I went with the Rebel. I towed my 22.5' bay boat with my Rebel and it pulls the boat great. My first Ram product but so far I have been satisfied with it. Never will get used to the dial shift. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_0849.jpg
    IMG_0849.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 50

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

KLEEEEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
A few feathers will be raised but I will say up front tough cookies. To me the Tundra is a vehicle that only its mother would love ie while being born it was hit with the ugly stick several times at a minimum, as far as reliability goes I have only had the oil changed on all of my vehicles dating back to 1982. I should say a few of the cars needed new brakes and tires as well as tune ups etc. I have had two recalls over the years, one for the 1990 Mustang GT and now on the 2015 R/T (21 brand new rides).

The last reason I will not ever own a *** product, the way they treated our veteran while in POW camps. It was a long time ago sure but I have a longer memory.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Strongly disagree and this is coming from someone who actually owns a new top model "*** truck." My 4runner has under 20k on it and it had seen the Toyota service dept 3 times for issues (that were warranty fixed.) My 2007 ram with 74k miles has seen a service dept 3 times, a coil pack going bad, a water pump going bad and a injector (all covered by warranty.) So yeah, the "*** truck" is already caught up to the 10 year old hemi so pfffffffft to your claim lol. Not to mention the GOD AWFUL ZERO power. And look up ANY hemi that has been maintained by someone who actually knows something and see the miles they get to.... your dead wrong

No need to get your panties in a bunch dude! I was just going on my PERSONAL past experience with "Japanese" trucks, I've owned 4 since I've been driving and all ran over 300k with original engine/trans, I've owned many more american made trucks and not one made it over 200k w/out a new engine or trans. I also said I love the looks and tech of the Rams but majority rules, sadly they don't last as long. The truck I have now is on its second engine and third trans and was very well cared for, has every service receipt from birth to date. Like I said it's just my personal experience and what has lasted the longest for me. You are correct on the power issue I don't argue that. That's all. Wait, one more thing, if I had the money to buy a new truck every 3,4,5 years I would definitely buy ram but I don't so I have to stick with what works for me, not everyone is fortunate enough.

Last edited:

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have much experience with toyota other than one test drive and reviews from other yota owners, I like how I slightly sink into my Ram's seat kinda like having your favorite spot on the couch that you build a groove, I love how my Hemi hauls ass while I'm pulling horses uphill. now I noticed OP mentioned MPG If thats the case and only concern I doubt he is going to go 3/4 ton so either 22mpg Hemi or 28 mpg Ecodiesel, now lets remention towing and payload needs obviously that is where Ram shines and toyota can hold a candle in the matter.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
New guy here. I know traditionally I should be making an introductory post, but I figured I'd get right to the core.

I've been a Tundra guy since 2006 when I purchased my first Toyota Tundra.
I currently own a 2013 Tundra Platinum. Haven't had any issues with the Tundra's that I've owned. Really appreciate the quality that can be found in Toyota products. But I've become very frustrated that Toyota doesn't address fuel economy issues with the Tundra except for adding a 38 gallon gas tank. They've also been slow to add LED lighting and collision avoidance technology. And to top it off the Tundra's look to much like a Ford with that gawdy looking grille. Nothing stylish about it.

Over the last few months I've become attracted to the appearance of Ram Trucks. Aggressive and bold yet stylish. I've been looking at the Laramies, Laramie Longhorn, and Laramie Limited. Really like the Limited but it comes with a hefty price tag.

I guess my question for you Ram Truck guys is "Am I going to regret making the jump to a Ram Truck ?" Does the Ram quality match / exceed that of
Toyota's?

Thanks for ya'lls time.
John Curry

Tundras are semi cool for sure, I looked at a trd pro that was under 40k the other day, they seamed to add the trd to a base model on that truck. However, the transmission hasn't had any updates since Bush was president. You can get a lot more capability and value with the Ram. 15k under msrp right now, you can get a loaded laramie for like 36 g's, there is no other reason to buy any truck on the market right now. The 8 speeds are killer, new plugs get you a 100k, new coolant is 150k mile, and add all of that to the platform that won truck of the year 3 outta 4 years when they first made 4 gen. I am a long lived Ford guy and had a tacoma I loved when I was young, but Ram is the best thing going right now.

laramies for 36k, damn?

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No need to get your panties in a bunch dude! I was just going on my PERSONAL past experience with "Japanese" trucks, I've owned 4 since I've been driving and all ran over 300k with original engine/trans, I've owned many more american made trucks and not one made it over 200k w/out a new engine or trans. I also said I love the looks and tech of the Rams but majority rules, sadly they don't last as long. The truck I have now is on its second engine and third trans and was very well cared for, has every service receipt from birth to date. Like I said it's just my personal experience and what has lasted the longest for me. You are correct on the power issue I don't argue that. That's all. Wait, one more thing, if I had the money to buy a new truck every 3,4,5 years I would definitely buy ram but I don't so I have to stick with what works for me, not everyone is fortunate enough.
I will admit, I had a bit to drink last night and got a little sensitive when I saw my precious rams getting bashed lol. My apologies

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
You own a 4Runner. Not a *** truck. Let's compare the 4Runner to something in its class next time. Also the 3rd gen ram is arguably one of worst quality trucks made in the past 20 years. So there's not much to stand on there.

Hmm. I may have to disagree here. 2005 and up Dodge Ram trucks and pretty much up to TODAY, Dodge/Ram have the MOST trucks still on the road today.

You obviously haven't had a Silverado from 2002 to 2014.. TOTAL CRAP!!

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmm. I may have to disagree here. 2005 and up Dodge Ram trucks and pretty much up to TODAY, Dodge/Ram have the MOST trucks still on the road today.

You obviously haven't had a Silverado from 2002 to 2014.. TOTAL CRAP!!

I have owned a 2000 Silverado, same as the 02, and a 07 silverado. And I know several owners of 3rd gens so I have something to compare to. The 4th gens are a different story, but I would never buy a 3rd gen.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You own a new toyota anything right now you can post up a pic and speak on? Didn't think so, talking out of turn. You know about as much as a **** if you think the 3rd gen is one of the worst quality trucks ever made and unlike my statements yours literally have zero backing whatsoever. I also stated in the beginning comparing my 4runner to a truck is apples to oranges so you got nothing on me there again. Judging by just how you speak and say "*** truck" I can tell we are on different levels though. Miss me next time

Actually I own a 2017 corolla that I drive back and forth to work. I work for Toyota and see it everyday. I know hundreds of people that own tundras and tacomas. So I'd say I have plenty of experience and first person stories to go on

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased my first truck back in March and couldn't be any happier with my choice. Before I made the decision on the RAM Sport, I test drove Fords, GMC, Chevy, and Toyota. None of them gave me the "warm and fuzzy" feeling that the RAM did. That is how I knew RAM was the truck for me. If for some reason I couldn't have gotten the RAM, either Tundra or Silverado would have been my second choice.

As a few mentioned, there is bias here for RAMs; however, what I have found with this community is everyone is honest, helpful, and will guide you in the right direction. There are some folks here that don't like some things about their RAM, but keeping buying it because they love the trucks.

Good luck!

1456c02f99bc4a54962fa9318ab702c8.jpg

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm a firm believer that its no use arguing about what is better or worse. Test drive several and buy what you like. I'm not a GM fan but was looking at a large SUV...but couldn't justify the cost compared to a pickup that I could get decked out for 25K less. I was a Ford guy for 2 decades...but after finding how much I love the Hemi...the RAM was a great choice for me. I'm not a fan of the boxy style GM pickups.

Everyone has different opinions on makes and models. Get what you want and don't look back. If its not working...buy something else.

Good luck with your choice OP!

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
O what a feeling

Skip the details ,
Get out and drive one
I drove them all
The Ram was my favorite
Must haves imo

3.92 rear
5.7 liter w/ 8 speed
8.4 screen
Heated seats and wheel if you live where you can appreciate it
6.4' bed

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
J.D. Power Initial Quality Study

2017085a.jpg

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

eljefe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I purchased my first truck back in March and couldn't be any happier with my choice. Before I made the decision on the RAM Sport, I test drove Fords, GMC, Chevy, and Toyota. None of them gave me the "warm and fuzzy" feeling that the RAM did. That is how I knew RAM was the truck for me. If for some reason I couldn't have gotten the RAM, either Tundra or Silverado would have been my second choice.

As a few mentioned, there is bias here for RAMs; however, what I have found with this community is everyone is honest, helpful, and will guide you in the right direction. There are some folks here that don't like some things about their RAM, but keeping buying it because they love the trucks.

Good luck!

1456c02f99bc4a54962fa9318ab702c8.jpg

Like the US Navy sticker on the hood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk