Tundra guy thinking about making the jump..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I think you nailed it FCA has some real dealer issues. I don't know why buy most of them have treated me poorly as well. FCA has been good to me though.

butterscotch71

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited Longhorn
Engine
I owned a few Toyota trucks before my last 2 rams. Toyotas hold their value much better, are more reliable, have MUCH better dealer service BUT...as mentioned gas mileage is lousy and they bore me to death. I've not yet seen a Toyota interior that I liked and I never had the enjoyment driving one that I get from my Ram. Guess it's all about what you want out of the vehicle.

VA10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
New guy here. I know traditionally I should be making an introductory post, but I figured I'd get right to the core.

I've been a Tundra guy since 2006 when I purchased my first Toyota Tundra.
I currently own a 2013 Tundra Platinum. Haven't had any issues with the Tundra's that I've owned. Really appreciate the quality that can be found in Toyota products. But I've become very frustrated that Toyota doesn't address fuel economy issues with the Tundra except for adding a 38 gallon gas tank. They've also been slow to add LED lighting and collision avoidance technology. And to top it off the Tundra's look to much like a Ford with that gawdy looking grille. Nothing stylish about it.

Over the last few months I've become attracted to the appearance of Ram Trucks. Aggressive and bold yet stylish. I've been looking at the Laramies, Laramie Longhorn, and Laramie Limited. Really like the Limited but it comes with a hefty price tag.

I guess my question for you Ram Truck guys is "Am I going to regret making the jump to a Ram Truck ?" Does the Ram quality match / exceed that of
Toyota's?

Thanks for ya'lls time.
John Curry

I traded in a 2015 tundra crew max trd off road. I now have a 2014 ram 1500 outdoorsman.

You will only see about 1.5mpg increase over the tundra combined (with the 3.92 gearing). The real increase is on the highway. My tundra avg 13-14 combined. Highway it did at best on a long road trip 16mpg.

Ram 3.92s w/ 8speeds VS. 4.30s w/ 6speeds - the tundra accelerates harder and revs in early gears longer. Ram accelerates very flat and shifts very quickly in the early gears - but accelerates much harder and fast at 50mph +. The Ram is much more stable on the highway.

As far as build quality - I would say the two excel in different areas. but neither of them stand out as being worse than the other. This kinda depends on how the trucks are equipped with options. One thing about the Tundra is that is larger truck.

Feel free to ask me specific questions about the two trucks. I paid very close attention to the quarks of my tundra. The tundra is a great truck and I would consider buying another if FCA sells Ram to the Chinese and or Jeep....... There were so many little quarks that I did not hesitate trading it in. Example - driving without headlights on. the tundra instrument cluster does not light up. No biggie. So i would turn on my headlights to drive in the daylight because the cluster is hard read - well that causes the entune systems screen to dim. So now you cant see entune systems screen. This quark irritated me so much.......also I hated the lack of interior storage. The tundra has absolutely no storage compared to the Ram. Also the Tundra does not have a real rear LSD. which made driving on poor road condition somewhat awkward because I could not use 4x4 on mixed surfaces while commuting to work. The auto lsd feature was a mehh - never really worked.

Overall I enjoy driving my Ram much more than the Tundra.

Oh and for what it is worth. I got an outstanding deal on my tundra. which the only reason I bought it in the first place. it held its value insanely well. Which helped get into a much more affordable position with much more equipped ram. The toyota dealers I used for service were below average to me. The Ram dealer I use for service is great! now the dealer quality is on the dealer and varies everywhere.

mandavdle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a Tacoma prior to my Ram. The Toyota dealer was no great shakes. The service writers there were very impressed with their own opinions, less so with mine.
In particular, it was a problem to get TSBs seen to. Their attitude was that the TSB was for their use, not the end-user's.
So far so good with my Ram dealer.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I find it interesting that the OP has not commented back to anyone's comments. I wonder what he decided to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
^^^^. Usually when that happens, I " unsubscribe " as usually they never come back. :)

Father Of Four