From Tundra to Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Long time Toyota owner. Looking forward to being a Ram owner.

ditto.

Comin off 30 years of owning Toyota trucks. Never had a problem with either of my 2 Toy trucks (both owned for 15 years).

Now I want to tow a travel trailer, so I'm stepping up to a 2500 Laramie CC 4X4 CTD. Hoping for a similarly successful long-term relationship.

goodguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Welcome to America! Hope the truck treats you well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I sold my 2012 Tundra to a coworker who wanted it from the first time she seen it. Her husband came to look at it and took it off my hands. I then went to had my dealer get me my '16 Laramie 2500. It is the 6.4L with 4.10s, so it tows my TT about the same. However, the HD suspension is where my Tundra fell short. It just didn't have the GVWR to handle my travel trailer tongue load as I was afraid eventually something would break or give at the wrong time.

I actually loved my Tundra, but I love my new Ram just as much. I don't think you will regret it at all!

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too have had a long and pleasant history with Toyota but thought I would give Ram a try. My expectations regarding RAM reliability are very low but hoping for the best.

2 years and 40000 miles I haven't had anything significant to complain about. A couple small warranty issues that were taken care of but now that I'm out of the 36000 mile warranty we will see what happens.

If I can go trouble-free for 120,000 miles I'll be happy.

I do love driving my Ram so I hope it all works out. Good luck with yours too.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Ram has the most reliability issues in car and driver and consumer reports but it would seem that folks that own them like we do on here are happy with only minor issues here and there. Engines are very good and the transmission issues of the 2nd gen autos are long gone. Now if you read a review in C&D or CR especially you would think everyday a repair would be needed.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the Ram Forum Sir !

Read lots , post lots and help others when you can .

I bought my 14 , 1/2 gas new in 2013 , I love it still .
Hope your new Ram serves you well !

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Ram has the most reliability issues in car and driver and consumer reports but it would seem that folks that own them like we do on here are happy with only minor issues here and there. Engines are very good and the transmission issues of the 2nd gen autos are long gone. Now if you read a review in C&D or CR especially you would think everyday a repair would be needed.

One thing to keep in mind is that RAM/DODGE trucks have way better quality than they did 20+ years ago but on the same token, Toyota has also gotten that much better so the perceived gap of quality between the two never really narrows.

I heard a saying many years ago that Toyota and the other Japanese makes known for better quality "build a better customer" just as much as they put more quality in the vehicle itself when they make it. The building the better customer is alluding to the demographics that buy a Japanese make are more financially stable and more likely to maintain a vehicle before a problem turns into a bigger problem than buyers of domestic brands. While not 100% universal, there is no denying RAM/DODGE trucks have always been last dog in that race for quality.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
One thing to keep in mind is that RAM/DODGE trucks have way better quality than they did 20+ years ago but on the same token, Toyota has also gotten that much better so the perceived gap of quality between the two never really narrows.

I heard a saying many years ago that Toyota and the other Japanese makes known for better quality "build a better customer" just as much as they put more quality in the vehicle itself when they make it. The building the better customer is alluding to the demographics that buy a Japanese make are more financially stable and more likely to maintain a vehicle before a problem turns into a bigger problem than buyers of domestic brands. While not 100% universal, there is no denying RAM/DODGE trucks have always been last dog in that race for quality.

That is my point there is denying because it is all based on your own experience and ownership. I don't care if my neighbor has good luck with Ram. I care if I do. I don't care if my neighbor thinks a Toyota looks better. To me they just don't. The point is perception becomes people's reality. I would struggle to buy a Toyota I don't like how they look and I don't think they better. That is all I need to make my decision. I also find Mopar easy to work on as it is mainly all me and my family have ever had except a few odd ball other brands. I can go to any parts store and get a water pump for cheap and instal today I don't have to order it from Japan and yes it is probably Chinese made haha.

Lastly the 4th gen has been a game changer which I think you can tell just looking at its life cycle. Still sells very well and the design is in the 8th year for the 1500. It leads in many areas including transmission with the 8 speed and engine arguably with the very powerful per cu in Hemi that at the very least is a marketing marvel.

Last edited:

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Long time Toyota owner. I've had quite a few over the years with zero issues. Other than the gas mileage I love my current Tundra. Bought as an early 2009 built 4 house with her, Paid little over 26k in '08 and getting $19,500 on trade so really nothing to be sorry for buying her. The new Tundra is just uninspiring for body style. To blah.

So just traded for a 2017 ordered Limited. Added the few options they offer with it. Bright white chrome package. Hopefully she gives me the same great service the Tundra did. Looking forward to being a Ram owner.

Just wondering how it's going with the new Ram.
Assuming you've received your order already.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just wondering how it's going with the new Ram.
Assuming you've received your order already.

right?? the world wants to know.... or at least a few guys here do :crazy:

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went to the DC Auto show this weekend and I would have to say the new Rams are pretty sweet. That being said I didn't mind the Tundra either. The backseat was crazy big on the Tundra and it felt pretty good to sit in.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine

Bingo....

I don't get it, my Mopars have always been my MOST dependable vehicles, which is why me AND the wife keep coming back.

Then, you look at the poll in this section of the Forum and will find an OVER 95% favorable rating among real owners.

I think it's another case of a dis-honest media.

Ram444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I did the exact same thing out of frustration waiting on a Tundra Diesel. I buy 3-4 vehicles every two years and with that developed a good relationship with one of my local dealerships. I've owned perhaps 10-15 new Toyota's in the last 10 years and have had as many as 3 at one time. My Toyota salesman knew I was waiting on a diesel to come out.

The salesman called one day to say a local guy traded in an immaculate Ram 3500 already with the mods I was planning done. I drove down and looked at it and reluctantly traded my Toyota Pro off. The Pro was only a year old so I got $40,500 on a trade toward the Ram. The previous Ram owner couldn't afford the truck after all the modifications and traded it on a Corolla. I've had the Ram 3500 for about 8 months now and it's a beast but I don't drive it much. The interior and technology is superior to the Tundra. I guess will have to wait on resale value until I get the Ram sold. I had a very serious back injury last Summer and struggle to get in and out of the 3500. Luckily I still have a new Tacoma to drive while waiting on my back to get straightened out.

Attachments

• IMG_0359.jpg
    IMG_0359.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1619.jpg
    IMG_1619.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2456.jpg
    IMG_2456.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2244.jpg
    IMG_2244.jpg