Uconnect 'Trial ending'... what will I loose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
They charge money because the thing talks over the cellular network.

Steve

Yes and no, the uconnect system does use the sprint network to communicate to FCA & 911. The system does not however have to have an active uconnect account to call 911, FCA or use texting. I know that texting is listed as part of your uconnect subscription. But there are a great many of us that have added these radios to our trucks from non uconnect radios. And we can use 911, call customer care and use the texting feature without any uconnect subscription. Maybe somehow we are slipping under the Radar. I believe even old cellphones with no account can call 911 at anytime, so the same seems to apply to the radios.

DougM55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it would be worth it for the remote start from my phone even if that's all it did. Last time I checked the Viper Smart Start was $15/month for the service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Not sure wher you checked but it does not cost anywhere near that. I have viper smart start in my car, I got it about a year ago and it was 139.00 for 3 years or about 4.00 a month. I did not get the gps tracking though. The smart start module was 200.00 on top of the 200.00 for the viper remote start which included install at bestbuy. I will say this the viper remote start fobs have about three times the range my oem ram fobs do. I just wonder how expensive it would be and what it would entail to hook it up in our trucks?

https://www.viper.com/smartstart/serviceplans.aspx

Last edited:

DougM55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My memory was way off! $4/month isn't bad at all. One of the main reasons I traded my old truck for this one was for the OEM remote start. I had an aftermarket one before that worked ok but it was a pain to install!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
sprint sucks so I wouldn't pay a dime to use it, plus the voice recognition on my 8.4 sucks it cant understand anything I say when trying to get it to call on my phone.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They sucker people in telling them they get all these great features on the nice fancy head unit with the vehicle. I never got anything that said i would lose any features (I knew anyway though). They also dont tell you you dont get free map upgrades on nav with the 8.4an. They want you to get used to the service and then not want to get rid of it. It is a nice clean look , but $1000 for the 8.4AN and then a monthly fee for all the other crap. I wouldnt do it again. Cause like rodram says the voice SUCKS!

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I have heard others say the voice recognition sucks. I find the total opposite mine works really well for phone, nav, music I find the vr the best I have ever used.

The only issue I ever have with it is if the hvac blower is running, try turning the blower off, it makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have heard others say the voice recognition sucks. I find the total opposite mine works really well for phone, nav, music I find the vr the best I have ever used.

The only issue I ever have with it is if the hvac blower is running, try turning the blowere off it makes a huge difference.

Same for me. Maybe they should spit the chew out before they use it. LOL

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
lol, VR works excellent in my truck. And I do have an accent.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
well i noticed that after the update/recall (after that hacking that occured) , the vr got worse. So, i know its not me. I could sit there all day and say the same thing, my mouth up to the mic, spell it out, etc. The system sucks! But, its only with certain words. i will have no problems with some words and it wont recognize other ones no matter what.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
well i noticed that after the update/recall (after that hacking that occured) , the vr got worse. So, i know its not me. I could sit there all day and say the same thing, my mouth up to the mic, spell it out, etc. The system sucks! But, its only with certain words. i will have no problems with some words and it wont recognize other ones no matter what.

I never did that one, I heard too many horror stories about it causing problems. A lot of folks who installed that update had problems with their radios freezing up and or having the screen go black. That particular update was a knee jerk reaction hastily put together, not properly tested, glad I did not install it. Likely I will not install any future ones either, if it works leave it alone.

Nekozame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After the update my radio no longer froze or jumped inputs randomly. All works better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963