Ugh, truck being towed to dealership.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chipmaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Listening to the radio at work on break and killed the battery. Security jumped the battery and I drove home. 2 days later, truck stuck in garage, no start, wont charge, cant jump. Have road side service coming to get it. Sucks! 2014 Laramie 14k miles.

OutLore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless you listened to the radio for days, that should not have killed the battery - I would imagine there is something awry with the charging system on your truck...

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Or could just be a faulty battery. When my 2010 Dakota was barely two years old (when I bought it), it had a bad battery with under 30k on the clock. It was really weak when I bought it, but it was March, assumed it was just the cold and needed some good driving to get all charged again. After driving around a bit, it started much better. But after letting it sit overnight, it would barely start in the morning.

Got it tested at Advance Auto (free of course), battery was way below what it should be. Went to the $tealership where I bought it, and they replaced it for free.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
YEah, it could just be a bad battery. Hopefully the jump did no damage to the charging system. You have to be careful with today's electronics when you jump a vehicle.

john94si

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same here.. i just went out and bought myself a new battery for $220 and installed it myself. I dont waste time on warranty on something like that.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 Laramie still factory battery and while I haven't had issues yet, pretty sure resting voltage on the battery is low. I am going to check it out today.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If they have a hard time finding the problem, and you have the auto headlights you might check the switch out. My switch was bad and my headlights did not automatically turn off after I parked in the garage at night and the battery would go dead overnight. The problem was it didn't happen all the time, only about once a week or maybe once every two weeks.
Jay

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Get an I Pod and sum headphonez my man.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
shoulda bought a ford!

Yeah, gotta love those carbon build-up issues on the direct injected Egoboost engines... :)

I forgot to mention in my earlier post, I am still on the factory battery with my 2013. The newer batteries should be good for 4-5 years or more, so I've read. Doesn't mean there isn't a faulty one every so often.

OP
OP
chipmaker

chipmaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just picked her up, new battery in my 14 month old truck. For freeeee!

BTW, while I was there a dude was picking up a tricked out Rubi, stickered @ $52k!!! Bad ass, but not worth all that.

New-2015-Jeep-WranglerUnlimited-_ID226023010_o.jpg

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Same here.. i just went out and bought myself a new battery for $220 and installed it myself. I dont waste time on warranty on something like that.
Why would you go out and blow $220 on a new battery that you could have easily gotten for free? I could see if you put a optima or something in your truck but for that amount of money a Walmart battery would have been less than half that price and just as good.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I remember trying to jump start a friend's 2008ish Chevy Colorado after he left his lights on all day. It almost started with the jump-start, then nothing. I guess the truck thought we were trying to steal it and put itself into some sort of security mode. We disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and tried again, and it started right up. Not sure if that's what could have happened or not, but just an experience I had.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Why would you go out and blow $220 on a new battery that you could have easily gotten for free? I could see if you put a optima or something in your truck but for that amount of money a Walmart battery would have been less than half that price and just as good.

No kidding, I'm with you on the Wal-Mart battery. But he did sound pleased with himself that he installed it. LOL

CC12RamLove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't know if they still run it this way but its way easy. Costco battery. Warranty for 3-4 years. After just a couple good or bad. Walk it into the return counter and they hand you a voucher for a new one in the tire shop

APFSDS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Chip, in AZ, we're lucky if batteries last 2 years. Which dealer did you go to?

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just picked her up, new battery in my 14 month old truck. For freeeee!

BTW, while I was there a dude was picking up a tricked out Rubi, stickered @ $52k!!! Bad ass, but not worth all that.

New-2015-Jeep-WranglerUnlimited-_ID226023010_o.jpg

When I picked up my truck there was a 4 door wrangler with a 6.4 conversion. Stickered around 80k