Update and Quick maintenance questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Salt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey everyone,
Loving my Ram 1500 so far. I've put 2000 miles on it in the first month so far. Went on a few road trips up and down the California coast.

I had a few questions regarding maintenance and parts.

1) I've heard that Ram has some bolts that are pretty much guaranteed to break (I think people were saying the manifold bolts?). Does this literally happen to everyone? What should I be looking out for to know if/when mine break in the future? And should I just replace them with better bolts before they break?

2) In regards to rust, I live in Southern California so we don't get a lot of rain or humidity or moisture at all really. But rust is still a concern for a $50k truck. What is the best way for me to prevent the rust from coming?

3) My engine is a 5.7L Hemi 8 spe with 3.92 gear ratio. During my long road trips, I would notice that when I'm going slow approaching a red light, the transmission seems to be a little 'rough' at the lower gears. When I step on the breaks and come close to a stop, I can feel the downshift. It's not a really intense jolt or anything but it's noticeable. Maybe I'm just being too critical but does anyone else notice this? And if so, is this a problem I should get checked out or is it fairly normal?

Thanks!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
1. It doesn't happen to everybody but it does happen. Yes, it's the exhaust manifold bolts that break. I haven't seen too many 2014+ owners complaining about it.

2. You could do a bit of undercoating if you are worried about rust but given your location, I'd not worry too much.

3. Yes, the 8 speed is a great transmission and it does downshift a bit "firmer" than other transmissions. This ain't no Cadillac but a firmer shift is always better for transmission life vs. the slow roll slide into gear you see on some other full auto transmission types.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly what MADDOG said

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Racer_X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Answering what I've experienced with my '09 and '17 Hemi Sport Rams. 1. My '09 broke manifold bolts 3 times. Last time the stealership had to pull the head and send it out to remove the broken studs. 3. Turn off the hill braking option in the option menu. It controls the downshifs and is more aggressive in downshifting in order to control roll back on hills.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk