Upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, new to this forum as I just recently purchased my first Ram truck. We bought a 2017 Ram Express and I'm wondering what kind of upgrades you guys might recommend? Also wondering what kind of plug & play upgrades I could do in the cab? ie: 12v inverter, 8" uconnect, trailer brake system. Wondering more or less what could be upgraded fairly easily, adding the power inverter was kind of one of the first things I was thinking of doing, the trailer brake controller was another thing, we do have rv plugs and a hitch.

I am a heavy duty mechanic, but I haven't tore into any of these trucks and am not sure what the factory leaves for extra plugs in the harness. Also would like to do upgrades without voiding any warranty.

Hope you guys can give me some suggestions and insight, thanks for checking out! :favorites13:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you looking for creature comforts or more performance type mod's? There is a long thread about mod's under $100. It might be a sticky---
Jay

OP
OP
matthewharrison
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you looking for creature comforts or more performance type mod's? There is a long thread about mod's under $100. It might be a sticky---
Jay

Not so much performance mods atm, not to say I wouldn't take suggestions, more so comfort things. Going to check for this thread, send me a link if you find it, thanks!

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A trailer brake controller should be a fairly easy upgrade. Some newer trucks are even plug and play. Modern controllers from Hayes, Hopkins, and Tekonsha have harnesses that plug into the controller and then into a socket under the dash and you are good to go. I don't know if your truck will have this feature but a call or O'reilly's or Advance Auto should help you find out. If not they are fairly easy to install manually.

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is an example of the harness for under the dash.

Tekonsha - Trailer Brake Control Harness

It looks like your truck may support plug and play aftermarket controllers. Also make sure your truck doesn't have one built in... its right next to the shift dial, down and to the right.

OP
OP
matthewharrison
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is an example of the harness for under the dash.

Tekonsha - Trailer Brake Control Harness

It looks like your truck may support plug and play aftermarket controllers. Also make sure your truck doesn't have one built in... its right next to the shift dial, down and to the right.

6 speed transmission, no dial & does not have one built in. Thanks for the info, much appreciated!