urgent need help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gray8188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey guys having a problem with my 2010 dodge ram hemi cc. Driving around 45-55mph and lightly accelerating I here a light finding noise. Tried to dismiss it as mds but I don't think it is. Crawled under the truck and but the tail shaft of the trans I see some grease all around it and looks like it splattered on the bottom of my truck. Praying it's not something serious. Any ideas on what it could be? And about a week ago I found some b b's where I parked my truck dismissed as maybe kids next door but now am thinking it could've been of my truck. Any help is appreciated. I'm worried cause I still have to drive it to work want to make sure it's okay.

20150531_165348_zpsaa3g4fw5.jpg

20150531_165358_zpscj1xfzkf.jpg

20150531_165415_zpsheejeaeh.jpg

Last pic is hard to see but you can see where it splattered up.

20150531_165421_001_zpssrkkek55.jpg

hjsmith00843

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just the output shaft seal leaking on your transmission. Easy and very quick fix. Doubt this would make any kind of noise.

OP
OP
G

gray8188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Okay tha ks is it something that needs to be addressed immediately? I'm hoping the noise is normal and I'm just thinking into it a little to much Which I tend to do.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
It doesn't look bad to me. Your drive shaft has to slide in and out of the transmission as your suspension cycles up and down grease isn't the end of the world if you start getting some red transmission fluid coming out that's when I would suggest changeing the rear output shaft deal.

OP
OP
G

gray8188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well just contacted my dealership and spoke with a service advisor he looked up my truck and it's 3 days out of my power train warranty. I'm pretty upset last time I was in the service advisor said my warranty was up in April. If I had known I would've tried to get it in sooner. I'm hoping they will goodwill and cover it being that it was only 3 days over.

OP
OP
G

gray8188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Haven't taken it to the dealership yet. But i figured out the grinding noise I heard. It's the dust shield behind the drivers side rotor. I don't know how it got loose. But I guess this weekend I'll be taking the wheel off and seeing what it is. Anyone hear of this happening before? Bug relied it's nothing in the driveline.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i figured out the grinding noise I heard. It's the dust shield behind the drivers side rotor. I don't know how it got loose. .

Don't you just love it when it's the simple cheap fixes???....i do.

OP
OP
G

gray8188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Welp pulled off the wheel today and there was a small rock jammed in the heat shield but doesn't sound like that was the problem. Guess it's just going to the dealer Friday. I'll keep the thread up to date

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The rear tranny seal is cake.. u said u saw bbs.. and that oil splatter is right above the u joint.. when u joints go bad... most commonly they make a "clicking sound" and it can sound like it is coming right out of the drive shaft.. it's amazing how well the sound carries down it. if u do the rear seal.. go ahead and swap that u joint as well.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Haven't taken it to the dealership yet. But i figured out the grinding noise I heard. It's the dust shield behind the drivers side rotor. I don't know how it got loose. But I guess this weekend I'll be taking the wheel off and seeing what it is. Anyone hear of this happening before? Bug relied it's nothing in the driveline.
I get small rocks stuck in between it and the rotor quite often, not sure how but usually for at least twice a summer

OP
OP
G

gray8188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The rear tranny seal is cake.. u said u saw bbs.. and that oil splatter is right above the u joint.. when u joints go bad... most commonly they make a "clicking sound" and it can sound like it is coming right out of the drive shaft.. it's amazing how well the sound carries down it. if u do the rear seal.. go ahead and swap that u joint as well.

Thanks man yea I'm taking it in on Friday and hoping they will cover it under warranty. Hope that's all it is

OP
OP
G

gray8188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just got home from work was walking my dog and notice something under my truck. Hop under it. And it's bb's or small bearings Again. I have no idea what there from. It's going into the shop on Friday when I get paid. Any chance they could be from a pulley? U joints don't have bearings like that do they?
20150603_182159_zpsagziy1vf.jpg
20150603_182220_zpsncvklweh.jpg