Vacuum-Based Brake Fluid Flush: Ripped Off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The manual says nothing about replacing brake fluid on any interval but I have usually changed the fluid when changing pads and/or rotors on all my previous cars.

In theory, brake fluid absorbs water and over time and that could be bad.

1) Is this a waste of money?

My most recent brake flush felt like a ripoff; I got watch them do it and they used a little pump to suck the fluid out of the brake fluid reservoir (engine compartment) but did no brake line bleeding at each caliper.

The tech gave me some bull that the bleeding at each caliper is no longer necessary as the pump can "suck the fluid out of the lines from the reservoir." Further, the brake line bleeding method was "the old way."

I feel it is physically impossible to get the fluid out of the lines by "sucking" it out of a closed system, against gravity, with a small hand pump. Even if the pump and plastic brake fluid reservoir were capable of generating/sustaining a total vacuum, the fluid in the lines is below the reservoir.

2) Did I get ripped off by this mechanic?

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would say so. There is no way to suck much fluid out of the brake lines from the reservoir.

How did they refill the reservoir? If what they said was true and they sucked the lines out then they would be full of air now and need to be bled. I'm guessing they just poured new fluid in the reservoir and then put the cap back on?

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say so. There is no way to suck much fluid out of the brake lines from the reservoir.

How did they refill the reservoir? If what they said was true and they sucked the lines out then they would be full of air now and need to be bled. I'm guessing they just poured new fluid in the reservoir and then put the cap back on?

Yeah pretty much.

It's getting harder and harder to find honest people these days.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
?????....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
When we do a brake flush at my dealer, we suck out the reservoir. Fill it with fresh fluid then use a a little machine that applies pressure to the reservoir so when we open a bleeder it forces the old fluid out.

Just sucking out the reservoir is better then nothing, but it's the proper way to do it.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm more irritated that I could see the ripoff happening in front of my eyes but couldn't really do anything about it.

Refuse to pay? Maybe they'll refuse to hand over keys.

It's a hassle no matter what and it seems like that's what they bet on.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never go back there.

Agreed.

It's a shame though. I'll be more specific when I inquire next time.

What exactly are you going to do to do your brake flush special?

How many other poor suckers don't even know they were cheated?

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got taken on this one for sure but don't think I'd fall for the muffler bearings. Hopefully. :)
im sorry i had to do this, i just found this today on youtube.
i tried to get a brake flush done on my 2011 once and had 3 dealers in my area refuse and 2 local brake shops also refused claiming the fluid was lifetime.... i hace my doubts as brake is hycroscopic

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Sorry for your luck, that stinks. Yes no way to get all fluid out except by opening the bleeders at all 4 corners

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the only thing you might think is that being in a closed system in a small line the fluid in the lines may never be in contact with moisture to attract... while the cylinder would be in contact with moist air...

hey anything is better than nothing to explain their behavior...

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the only thing you might think is that being in a closed system in a small line the fluid in the lines may never be in contact with moisture to attract... while the cylinder would be in contact with moist air...

hey anything is better than nothing to explain their behavior...

You make a valid point. That does make me feel a little better. :)

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Wikipedia says this:
Most automotive professionals agree that glycol-based brake fluid, (DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5.1) should be flushed, or changed, every 1–2 years under non-racing conditions.

A system filled from dry with silicone fluid does not require the fluid to be changed at intervals

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid

So if the brake fluid is lifetime, then it has to be silicone based DOT-5

When the bleed nipples are closed the vacuum thingy will not replace the oil in the lines and caliper pistons, if opened, then yes.
It was my believe that this vacuum pumps get attached to the bleed nipple and not sucking from the bowl.
The reason for those is to suck the fluid out instead of have someone pumping it out with the brake pedal.

Chris

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would have definitely done it myself in the garage if I had one :(

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hopefully you didn't pay too much money. Replacing the fluid in the reservoir is better than nothing, but the most contaminated fluid is the fluid in the lines and at the fittings at the end. Brake fluid exchanges are such money for dealers. I changed my wife's brake fluid right before we took it in for a (free...) oil change at the dealer a couple years ago. They tried to tell her that her brake fluid was dirty and contaminated and quoted her a couple hours labor to do the job.

I laughed when she told me (I was outside, dropping her off) and asked them to show me the dirty fluid. They cited some liability as to why I couldn't go back to the shop, complete nonsense. I informed them that the fluid looked fine 2 days earlier when I bleed them and put brand new fluid in. Their was a lot of back tracking and excuse making when I said that. Bunch of thieves...

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
O U C H> > > > > that had to hurt!!! I hope there didn't try to sell you any of that fog light fluid or replace the air in your tires with "new" air. I actually had a guy try to sell me "new" air at a gas station in Arizona some years ago....what an A$$

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It could have been worse - they could have just dumped me in the waiting room and I would have never been the wiser.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn