Vacuum-Based Brake Fluid Flush: Ripped Off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
the only thing you might think is that being in a closed system in a small line the fluid in the lines may never be in contact with moisture to attract... while the cylinder would be in contact with moist air...

hey anything is better than nothing to explain their behavior...

Remember, oil floats, water sinks and the calipers are lower than the reservoir.

That said I've never done a brake fluid flush on any vehicle. The system usually gets a good flush when I have to do a caliper or 4 because the road salt got to the piston and it won't compress or it does and takes the seal out. :word:

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The manual says nothing about replacing brake fluid on any interval but I have usually changed the fluid when changing pads and/or rotors on all my previous cars.

In theory, brake fluid absorbs water and over time and that could be bad.

1) Is this a waste of money?

My most recent brake flush felt like a ripoff; I got watch them do it and they used a little pump to suck the fluid out of the brake fluid reservoir (engine compartment) but did no brake line bleeding at each caliper.

The tech gave me some bull that the bleeding at each caliper is no longer necessary as the pump can "suck the fluid out of the lines from the reservoir." Further, the brake line bleeding method was "the old way."

I feel it is physically impossible to get the fluid out of the lines by "sucking" it out of a closed system, against gravity, with a small hand pump. Even if the pump and plastic brake fluid reservoir were capable of generating/sustaining a total vacuum, the fluid in the lines is below the reservoir.

2) Did I get ripped off by this mechanic?
They did it the quick way.. but totally lied to you by saying that they can suck the fluid from the lines from the reservoir.. the only way to get the fluid out of the lines is to pump it through, either the "old way" or using a vacuum pump at the calipers.

So all in all, you got taken because I feel that the most important fluid to be changed would be in the calipers and ABS module.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I'm more irritated that I could see the ripoff happening in front of my eyes but couldn't really do anything about it.

Refuse to pay? Maybe they'll refuse to hand over keys.

It's a hassle no matter what and it seems like that's what they bet on.

I would've not paid. You need to spread the word that the place is has shady mechanics and business is not good there. The world doesn't need these places. When the clientele dries up, so do these places.