Want a ram r/t but........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ctdsylvia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Hey guys I really want a 2012 ram r/t there's one for sale that I know of and it's really nice only has 1, 900 miles on it but its 25,000$ and I just can't pull the trigger...... Some advice from you guys who have done it

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They are big trucks, they have big brakes, big power.

I like them a lot. I hate the factory tuning on it, but the aftermarket has opened that up (so I hear).

It's more of an 'sitting upright sports car' IMO. I love mine.
(And it's just an Express, not a fancy pants R/T!)

hnrypat21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMO the express was a better buy the gears are the only thing that makes a difference in performance and i think a stall converter, but for 25000 bucks you might as well just make sure it wasn't in an accident and fixed to flip. if you like the interior and you only want a 2 seater thats the way to go.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
If you are ok with the interior not being as nice on the Express, you can go that route and build it better than the RT. The RT does come with 4.10 gears and a limited slip, and also has a factory 2600 stall converter. While this converter is better than the basic converter that comes in the Express, it is not near as good as getting an aftermarket one from Edge. If it was me, I would go with the Express, and then build it the way you want it. The hood and interior are the only thing I would really want from the RT that you wont get from the Express.

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They are big trucks, they have big brakes, big power.

I like them a lot. I hate the factory tuning on it, but the aftermarket has opened that up (so I hear).

It's more of an 'sitting upright sports car' IMO. I love mine.
(And it's just an Express, not a fancy pants R/T!)

Um the R/T doesn't have different/bigger brakes than any other 4th gen.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Um the R/T doesn't have different/bigger brakes than any other 4th gen.

No, I was talking about 4th Gens in general. Especially compared to an '01 which his profile says he currently has.

My thoughts on buying an R/T vs a Express.
I have an Express.

OP
OP
Ctdsylvia

Ctdsylvia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Yea I sold the 01 cummins in my sig I now have a little s10 beater and want the r/t is there anything I should know about the r/t before going and looking at it

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'd go for the R/T, 25k isn't too bad of a price and if that's the asking price you should be able to get them down some. You get the sport hood, 4.10 gears, and the nicer interior for your money. With the Express it would cost you a good bit of money out of pocket to upgrade it with those parts. You could of course save money if you can do the work yourself but if you're not DIY or mechanically inclined then I think the R/T is the wiser option.

Believe me the interior options would not be cheap to add yourself. You get the leather wrapped steering wheel, steering wheel audio controls, a center console (optional I think), both glove box lids, the leather stitched dash, and the partial leather seats with the R/T. I also think the EVIC is an option on the Express, and standard on the R/T as well. Most of the R/Ts come with the Mygig radio so that's a bonus. Ultimately it's up to you.

Last edited:

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
As long as you don't have any plans for kids or hauling anymore than one person at a time, get it. I have a 2 seater that I bought when I was 24 because I didn't need anything more. Well, it's time to sell it now (14 years later) and everyone wants a quad or crew cab. So keep in mind resale value later down the road and where your life may be heading in the next few years.

Chris

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see where Matt is coming from, but gears and a stall converter are big ticket otems, and even the hood is $1000+paint.
I'd go R/T if it will fit your needs for some to come, and build onit with anything thats missing.
I would have gone R/T is they made it in a CC.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Instead of an R/T, what about trying for an express crew cab. Big enough for all your friends/family, still extremely fast for a big truck, although it doesn't have gears/stall. Wish I would have bought a bigger truck for my first, instead of a single cab. It was way to small.

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the gears are a big selling point for you, and you decide against the RT because you can add those later, you should know that at least as of right now, 4x4 models can't go larger than the factory 3.92 I believe. If the interior is the selling point, for that price, I bet you could find a Sport model around...maybe even a brand new one that hasn't sold yet you could get a really good deal on.

I had an 07 QC and I think had the dealership had an RT on the lot when I bought my 12 a few months ago, I would've gotten one. Ultimately, I'm probably glad I didn't just because of the room. My thinking at the time was "We have a car if we need to go somewhere as a family." But, I'm 6'3" and I like my subs so a reg cab might not have been my best choice. If you just want and RT and the other models don't appeal to you, I say go for it. Like I said, I probably would've bought one. I think you could definitely talk them down from $25,000, though.

Last edited:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the gears are a big selling point for you, and you decide against the RT because you can add those later, you should know that at least as of right now, 4x4 models can't go larger than the factory 3.92 I believe. If the interior is the selling point, for that price, I bet you could find a Sport model around...maybe even a brand new one that hasn't sold yet you could get a really good deal on.

I had an 07 QC and I think had the dealership had an RT on the lot when I bought my 12 a few months ago, I would've gotten one. Ultimately, I'm probably glad I didn't just because of the room. My thinking at the time was "We have a car if we need to go somewhere as a family." But, I'm 6'3" and I like my subs so a reg cab might not have been my best choice. If you just want and RT and the other models don't appeal to you, I say go for it. Like I said, I probably would've bought one. I think you could definitely talk them down from $25,000, though.

Touche; I forgot the R/T is 2WD. That is a deal breaker where we have snow for 6mos a year, and should be a consideration. I didn't realize a 4x4 can't go above 3.92; thanks!

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Something to do with the size of the gears and not enough room in the front axle. I think 3.92 is the biggest, but don't quote me. There's at least one or two threads talking about it. I'm hoping there will be options at some point. But it isn't something I'll be doing for a while anyway. I'm glad I stuck to my guns on getting mine with 3.92 even though it took a while to find one with them and everything else I wanted.

Dale_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a 2012 Express with LSD, power everything, EVIC and trailer brake for less than $20k brand new. I don't see the extra $5k in value for a used RT.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
My 2012 R/T was 25,300 brand new. 25 for a used one is high.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I bought a 2012 Express with LSD, power everything, EVIC and trailer brake for less than $20k brand new. I don't see the extra $5k in value for a used RT.

the interior if you only need two seats is better the wheels on the rt are expensive!!!the converter while not being great is better then the other one the 4.10 gear and the sport hood all add up really quickly.... just the wheels alone i can get at least 2800 for used so thats a big reason why the 5k is worth it

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
the interior if you only need two seats is better the wheels on the rt are expensive!!!the converter while not being great is better then the other one the 4.10 gear and the sport hood all add up really quickly.... just the wheels alone i can get at least 2800 for used so thats a big reason why the 5k is worth it

That's a good point on the wheels too.

No doubt I would go for an R/T over an Express. It may cost a little more but you get a lot more too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye