Warning "Cringe Effect" Article...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy who drives truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Express CC
Engine
"Hemi" 5.7
Big-Ass Trucks Aren't Good Off-Road

So yea, because one guy was... How do I state it? Foolhardy :) Now, we can read this fine article! I especially love the Power Wagon comment, about it kind of being good at off-roading! LMAO, obviously this must be a Ridgeline driver!

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another Internet "Expert"..... hahaha!!!!

I did have a Suzuki Samurai with 33" tires and a supercharger on it back in the late 80's and it was a mudding machine. It was so light it floated across most of the mud holes that the full size trucks would get stuck in all the time.

Last edited:

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well technically he is right. Long wheelbase does not help your breakover angle and trucks sometimes generally have poor departure angles.

Kincer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know what he's talking about not being able to haul alot of people though, since when does a crew cab have no room?

OP
OP
Guy who drives truck

Guy who drives truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Express CC
Engine
"Hemi" 5.7
Well technically he is right. Long wheelbase does not help your breakover angle and trucks sometimes generally have poor departure angles.

I don't disagree with him on the geometry argument. I'm kind of insulted that he felt compelled to state the obvious. Anyone who believes their MegaCab of all Ram models is the version to take off roading is kidding themselves. Not saying that hill in the video couldn't be done by someone with more experience at picking a line. My problems is more with the "passenger occupancy" (mine seats 6) issue, and him taking a shot at the Power Wagon... A Truck that almost unequivocally is held in high regard for its capabilities off the tarmac. This guy takes every opportunity to complain about everything trucks are in almost all his articles.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Trucks, fine for "some" forms of off-roading. Emphasis on "some". Rock crawling, not so much.

That's why I have a Rubicon as my second vehicle.

4x4 in a stock truck is more for keeping traction on grades and mildly uneven surfaces while hauling/towing.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trucks, fine for "some" forms of off-roading. Emphasis on "some". Rock crawling, not so much.

That's why I have a Rubicon as my second vehicle.

4x4 in a stock truck is more for keeping traction on grades and mildly uneven surfaces while hauling/towing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS

I don't know why some of you get so out of joint with that story. Stock off the showroom floor 4x4 is fine for slippery conditions in day to day life, but rock climbing and mudding will not be its forte. And the longer the vehicle the more disadvantaged it becomes.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
your insulted by something you read on the internet? come on. the guys entitled to his opinion and he makes a valid point. big heavy pickups definitely have their downfalls offroad, power wagon included.

MaineRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Simply put, he got stuck in a stock ram, of the longest wheelbase. Take that same line, same truck with a 4" lift and 35" tires and I bet it fairs well. No one vehicle is good at everything, but ive seen plenty of full-size trucks outwheel little rigs. Comes down to modifications, driver knowledge, and the trails difficulty. dumb article all-around.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well in his defense he did say this....
"Throw some big meats on that thing to crank up those angles and put some more distance between the rock and the belly (and I don’t mean Jeep-big, I mean Truck-big— we’re talking at least 37s), and it will conquer the world."

OP
OP
Guy who drives truck

Guy who drives truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Express CC
Engine
"Hemi" 5.7
Danny, I just posted something I read online. It was a bomb of a thread and my reading comprehension is below kindergarten levels of slow. It was far more interesting to my simple mind than it appears to have been for others. My apologies to everyone and if I create a thread again? I'll wait for something more entertaining and better thought out. Either that or I'll just stick to commenting on other threads! That's been far easier. :)

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Too short of wheelbase also is not good.

But its all about skill and technique, but in this day in age when one lacks skill they blame the vehicle.
I have wheeled everything from flat fender jeeps, cj5's, cj7's, toyotas full size blazers, my old QCSB ram and hell even a Type 3 international chassi Fire truck. All are very capable in their own way and you just have to know how to use each ones strengths. But in many cases yes you are right on the wheel base vs obstacles but approach and departure angles all depend on tire size, and can easily be modified to overcome that issue. Its one reason why alot of Yota guys bob their beds.

But generally a broad brush statement bigger the rig, bigger the tire is needed, but not always...

But if you want to see a extremely long vehicle wheel, look at the MegaRamRunner in moab... its amazing where he takes that thing