Weather and traction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know we need the rain here in Cali, but I hate driving my truck in the rain. Its no fun and can never get any traction and have good newer tires. Even weight in the rear I get no help.. soft on the throttle and yet it still spins and kicks the rear out. Not really sure what to do ... Ill take off soft way slower than traffic and once I give it a little and I mean little gas I'm spinning. Its like I went from speedy gonzales to cecil the turtle. And to make it worse our tracks are closed so I cant even go to see how the T-1000 does on a dry day.

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear you man, driving the R/T sucks and we are in for a whole week of rain down here in SoCal which is unheard of if true. I have to baby the throttle in stop in go traffic.

Last edited:

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Be glad it's JUST rain. The salt is now down in Pittsburgh - the RC won't run again now until spring - once it's all washed away. icon11.gif

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
ooooh...that sucks.

You could have some of what we've been having here!

large_eugenesnow.jpg

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be glad it's JUST rain. The salt is now down in Pittsburgh - the RC won't run again now until spring - once it's all washed away. icon11.gif

If I lived in the snow I'd have the biggest POS beater and the R/T would be parked till the roads were clean. I should put the ZR2 back together and just us it when it rains... that thing doesnt even have the power to break the tires loose on ice :roflsquared:

Maddog, I'd love to live in the snow.. GF won't have it.. I've tried, but slowly making progress... Wouldn't be a big deal if I had my jeep but that wond be for a little while

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Limited slip and good tired can make a world of difference.

Or get one of these. Its my favorite option.
d4c9903f647913614e3d868f7406401b.jpg

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have traction control, limited slip and such in the R/T.. I need my JK on 37's in the driveway!!!!

Last edited:

Am3gross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
i see all these posts about there ram not handling the weather very well, i have no issues, i have not had my rear even come close to be wiggly back there... but again i don't beat on it either so maybe that has something to do with it. we are going to get some snow here maybe next week.. maybe that will change my mind.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I drove last winter in north Dakota and I'm up here in Oregon in the rain and ice and snow the last 2 days on stock tires and don't haven't issues that every one else seems to have. Maybe these 3.21s are making it easier on take off

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i see all these posts about there ram not handling the weather very well, i have no issues, i have not had my rear even come close to be wiggly back there... but again i don't beat on it either so maybe that has something to do with it. we are going to get some snow here maybe next week.. maybe that will change my mind.

I only have issues when throttle is involved.. it doesn't take much to break things loose with the added HP and 4:10 gears. Really its only in town I have this issue. once I get out to the country roads its not as bad. maybe its there are more cars and oils and crap on the roads in town.. either way its annoying.. Its like having the most smoking hot naked woman in front of you but you cant do anything with... :roflsquared:

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is actually the first winter in 15 or so years I have not had a 4x4 to drive during winter time... I've always had a summer and winter vehicle. Baby kinda threw a wrench in the 4x purchase

Am3gross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Its like having the most smoking hot naked woman in front of you but you cant do anything with... :roflsquared:

this explains everything, its all about how you can handle things... i will break this down for you... you are in your ram, and you press the gas pedal way to hard and way fast.. you got to ease into it.. take your time.. be gentle.. caress the gas pedal.. it will do what you want..

and if you apply this to the "smoking hot naked woman in front of you" i feel that you will get satisfying results out of that too!

hope this helps!

LMAO!

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, i am gentle on her in the rain.... she is still slippery when wet.. This went down hill fast...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I must be one of the few. I have a Crew Cab, 3.92 gears, LSD, 4x4 and haven't spun the tires in the rain at all. And, I still have the stock tires on. I've even tried to get the backend to break loose a few times and it hasn't happened. We just had a weekend of 8-10 inches of rain and didn't have any traction issues.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the snow, my biggest issue is my tune, with 20% throttle boost, 8spd and 3.92 it just lose traction as soon as I touch the pedal.

I'll try to do -15% and see if it help

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've said it a bunch of times now... 4WD Auto in the rain. Does wonders for me here in Florida.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Stock good years have been awful. I have to baby it in the rain I can get along just fine but I jumped in it at 45 the other day coming out of town and it broke them loose. There is one turn under a bridge that is stright up awful tons of oil drippings from semi's (there's a truck stop there) and it's scary you don't want to give it much throttle at all. But I have sense upgraded my tires and hopefully my accleration in the rain will improved.

dunney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I only have issues when throttle is involved.. it doesn't take much to break things loose with the added HP and 4:10 gears. Really its only in town I have this issue. once I get out to the country roads its not as bad. maybe its there are more cars and oils and crap on the roads in town.. either way its annoying.. Its like having the most smoking hot naked woman in front of you but you cant do anything with... :roflsquared:

What skins are you running? I'm having traction issues too, but more in the snow. Someone up here in snow country told me the stock Goodyear tires are terrible, and I should get Cooper AT3's. Does anyone on here have those?

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have street passenger tires on the R/T not sure the brand but not all terrain like the coopers. Its a 2wd lowered truck, no need for all terrains. Only offroad the truck sees is my 1/4 mile gravel driveway

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk