Weather and traction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What skins are you running? I'm having traction issues too, but more in the snow. Someone up here in snow country told me the stock Goodyear tires are terrible, and I should get Cooper AT3's. Does anyone on here have those?

I would look at General Grabber AT2's. I have had them on two vehicles now and they are am amazing tire that works great in snow (winter snowflake rated and in fact studdable) as well as relatively quiet on the highway and great in the dirt.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ooooh...that sucks.

You could have some of what we've been having here!

large_eugenesnow.jpg

i will literally pay you to bring some of that here

Stock good years have been awful. I have to baby it in the rain I can get along just fine but I jumped in it at 45 the other day coming out of town and it broke them loose. There is one turn under a bridge that is stright up awful tons of oil drippings from semi's (there's a truck stop there) and it's scary you don't want to give it much throttle at all. But I have sense upgraded my tires and hopefully my accleration in the rain will improved.

SRAs are by far the worst tires i've ever had in the rain. i think part of the problem is with 3.92s and the 8 speed even light throttle gives it a good kick but still garbage tires. as i've said in other threads tho they were surprisingly decent in the snow. i now have BFG KO2s and so far it's a night and day difference, will probably stick with them from now on

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I'll take rain over snow any day. Even though I hate when my truck gets dirty.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll take rain over snow any day. Even though I hate when my truck gets dirty.

it gets plenty dirty in snow too. highways get covered in salt and sand as it melts it makes a nice muddy slush. some areas or certain roads also get beat juice these days

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
it gets plenty dirty in snow too. highways get covered in salt and sand as it melts it makes a nice muddy slush. some areas or certain roads also get beat juice these days

OH yeah, I would not want to deal with salty roads.

dunney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i will literally pay you to bring some of that here

SRAs are by far the worst tires i've ever had in the rain. i think part of the problem is with 3.92s and the 8 speed even light throttle gives it a good kick but still garbage tires. as i've said in other threads tho they were surprisingly decent in the snow. i now have BFG KO2s and so far it's a night and day difference, will probably stick with them from now on

So is the general consensus basically ANY TIRE EXCEPT THE G*DDAMN OEM ONE?

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My SRAs do just fine in winter. I like accelerating faster than most (ie: not a ******* ******** slow idiot who can't drive) which is why I've got 4wd as well. That an living in Alberta. AUTO switch worlks wonders when 2wd just wants to spin.

Though....it is very manageable in 2wd with the stoc goodyears. I use them as winter tires, but when they get worn its definitely dedicated winter tires

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
don't have an R/T I have a 2015 big horn thats got the bells and whistles.... i can't kick my rear end loose... i tried just for fun lol. even on snow. i have traction control and limited slip and abs. not sure what else they put into my truck but the first time i was driving in rain i took of around a corner fast or the usual way for a hemi owner after a long day of work and as soon as i felt the rear end give a little the truck braked and corrected itself. and everything is stock on my truck including the tires

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It has nothing to do with power, gearing, etc. Its because you are in the reg cab, everyone saying they have no issues with 4 doors is not really relative to this. All my reg cabs have been like this, just no weight. its a pain in the ass. I have spun around twice in the middle of an intersection at like 5% throttle.

Yet, I can drive multiple stick shift drag cars in the 600+ range on E/T Streets with no issues in the rain.

The only thing you could do is add some traction device in the bed, to weigh it down. similar to the sand bags in winter approach.

If you had a crew cab OP, you could damn near floor it in the rain and still dead hook lol.

Also, if you need 4wd to drive in rain, you should get off the damn road. (rain, not flooded roads) And I grew up in FL for 26 years, so Im familiar.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
All of my trucks have been rcsb's and I have yet to have any issues with traction be it rain or snow. Just a guess but better driving skills might help some, some not so much I bet. Oh and yes this statement is being made with a fell'er running stock so called crap OEM tires. Come to think about it the only vehicle I ever managed to get somewhat snaky would be my 90 Mustang GT with Goodyear Gatorbacks just as it started to rain. I am guessing with the oily residue and the new wetness along with to much gas led to this situation as lately with age I can keep 500hp+ vehicles on the straight and narrow when caught in the odd rain shower.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All of my trucks have been rcsb's and I have yet to have any issues with traction be it rain or snow. Just a guess but better driving skills might help some, some not so much I bet. Oh and yes this statement is being made with a fell'er running stock so called crap OEM tires. Come to think about it the only vehicle I ever managed to get somewhat snaky would be my 90 Mustang GT with Goodyear Gatorbacks just as it started to rain. I am guessing with the oily residue and the new wetness along with to much gas led to this situation as lately with age I can keep 500hp+ vehicles on the straight and narrow when caught in the odd rain shower.

You may have misunderstood my post, I can drive it, I know how to manage a high HP vehicle on the road. I have had many and some worse than others. My 07 CTD ram had much more HP and almost 3 times the torq... never had a issue unless I pushed it... but also for a CTD I could light the 35's up for a nice long distance... With the R/T even the slightest throttle will get the wheels to soin.. and my point to it is its annoying cause I have to drive slower and react slower than a 90 yr old woman in a yugo.. and I also have the stock POS tires..

I can also take off and have no problems and once the rpms clime up without being in a hard acceleration hit 3200-3400 the truck kicks in and spins the tire... Never have I had a vehicle act like this and I have had many built cars and driven many even more impressive high hp cars.. This is something different I cannot put my finger on. and its hard to explain

And for better reference the C6 ZR1 I have driven alot, and you can barely get traction in it with dry pavement, I had no issues with in the rain.

Last edited:

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have the hemi 8 speed and are hitting 3400rpm before shifting you are indeed heavy into the throttle. With normal throttle use, especially in the first few gears it will shift by 2000rpm. I don't think I have every had it shift at 3400rpm unless I was really into it, normal day to day driving and it is before 2500rpm 95% of the time.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
telling you.... the reg cabs in the rain... tires arent helping but the reg cabs are slippery in the rain.

The only thing that would really help is going to a heavier, LT truck tire with some sort of all terrain ish design. But on a lowered truck, with a performance tire (something im guessing most these people havent ever owned), its going to spin/slide around a lot.

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
wtf?? so anyone with awd should get off the road? idiot.

Im the idiot? Several people were talking about putting their truck in 4wd for driving in the rain. How does that have ANY bearing on awd vehicles?

Also, you can bet your small paycheck, that no one shows up at a dealer to buy an AWD vehicle so they can drive more comfortably in rain.

You are a dunce.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It has nothing to do with power, gearing, etc. Its because you are in the reg cab, everyone saying they have no issues with 4 doors is not really relative to this. All my reg cabs have been like this, just no weight. its a pain in the ass. I have spun around twice in the middle of an intersection at like 5% throttle.

Yet, I can drive multiple stick shift drag cars in the 600+ range on E/T Streets with no issues in the rain.

The only thing you could do is add some traction device in the bed, to weigh it down. similar to the sand bags in winter approach.

If you had a crew cab OP, you could damn near floor it in the rain and still dead hook lol.

Also, if you need 4wd to drive in rain, you should get off the damn road. (rain, not flooded roads) And I grew up in FL for 26 years, so Im familiar.

PLEASE come down here again and try with your SRAs. The rears slip with almost no throttle making a turn from a stop sign or red light. Hell I could feel the rears slip yesterday taking off in a straight line from a red light with RPMs never passing 2200. This is a Crew Cab with the LSD and 23k on the tires. It has NOTHING to do with the driver. Period. That isn't even a discussion and there is no argument.

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Did it for 2 years, ecodiesel and hemi. No issues. Im not saying they are great rain tires, they are **** tires all around except for highway ride quality. but OPs problem is the reg cab. I agree these tires arent helping, but biggest problem for him is the short wheel base and no weight. Hes going to have the same problem on any street tire. Better than what he has now, sure, but the problem shall remain.

I get by on mine in the DC metro area, even in the winter. The key is not to touch the gas until the truck has reached maximum idle speed, mine is around 8mph. But you shouldnt have to be doing all that in the rain. Ive never had any issues. Crew Cabs, 2wd, LSD, 3.92s/3.21s

Last edited:

GreenGoblin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an 08 ram RC that had some work done to it an was tuned an I never got traction with the sra. Swapped to Coopers an couldn't break them loose at all on dry pavement it just hooked an when it rained as long as I drove normal an didn't stick it hard it was fine. And also I live in South Mississippi so it rains ALOT!
I'm in Iowa now an had the sra on my 15 Laramie CC an they were still garbage. Swapped to kumho 35X12.50 mud terrains an it's night an day difference haven't even had to lock it in yet.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
coopers... as in LT all terrains?

Because OP is in a lowered truck he runs at the track.

Again.... not the same.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have the hemi 8 speed and are hitting 3400rpm before shifting you are indeed heavy into the throttle. With normal throttle use, especially in the first few gears it will shift by 2000rpm. I don't think I have every had it shift at 3400rpm unless I was really into it, normal day to day driving and it is before 2500rpm 95% of the time.

I have the 545 in mine. No 8 speed and trust me I am not on the throttled and it will climb to 3800-4000 before shifting. It has done this ever since I bought the truck and it was stock tuned. So no I am indeed not heavy on the throttle.

Actually as I'm still thinking about it the lighter I am on the throttle the more stalled out and longer between shifts. it ill hold a gear longer than I am hard on the go fast pedal. Like I have said many many times in this thread... I have had and driven many high high horsepower cars and never had issues, and I have never had one act or **** like my truck does.

Last edited: