Welding while attached to my truck - quick help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Going to fab some brackets today for my LED light bar. Some of the fab will go easier if I can tack weld parts of the bracket while temporarily bolted to the truck near the tow hook area. Is there a problem doing this or will welding anything touching the truck be harmful to the electrical systems of my 2500? This may be a dumb question but electrical work and I don't play well together. Thanks

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Ground as closely to the welding spot as possible, but it's honestly not a big issue since body and exhaust shops weld on these vehicles all day long. You can disconnect the negative cable as well if you want.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Your trucks electrical system is ground, so your good.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I do exhaust work and some fab work time to time and I always disconnect the battery and clamp as close a possible never had a issue.

Also I recomend thick blankets or the welding paper to protect your bumper and anything you don't want little burn marks on... Unless your useing a tig in witch case anything like a old shirt or rag (that's not covered in flammable stuff) incase a small spark jumps.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
Going to fab some brackets today for my LED light bar. Some of the fab will go easier if I can tack weld parts of the bracket while temporarily bolted to the truck near the tow hook area. Is there a problem doing this or will welding anything touching the truck be harmful to the electrical systems of my 2500? This may be a dumb question but electrical work and I don't play well together. Thanks

Good clean ground, most important thing when welding on a vehicle.

Galion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
General rule when welding on vehicles or equipment is disconnect the battery(s) and go to town. Although I have welded on a couple friends' trucks without doing it and never had issues, 99% of the time nothing would happen anyways, but for the 30 seconds it takes, disconnect it to be 100%.

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Thanks guys. My original plan/need to weld on the truck ended up not being necessary as my original measurements were off so my plans for fabrication changed.

Got it 80% complete. Just have to fine tune some things and rattle can the paint tomorrow.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Thanks guys. My original plan/need to weld on the truck ended up not being necessary as my original measurements were off so my plans for fabrication changed.

Got it 80% complete. Just have to fine tune some things and rattle can the paint tomorrow.

Looking forward to some pics!

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Got the fabbed parts primed and one coat of paint. Will install the light this week and the wire harness Saturday. Should have it all buttoned up and thread posted Sunday. Not a great fab guy but just enough skill to be dangerous.

NorthTexasHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Lone Star
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Measure twice, cut once :superhack:

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Measure twice, cut once :superhack:

Truth spoken!

I got everything done except just need to let the last coat of paint dry and then install the light. Wiring is all hooked up and ready to go. Should look real nice.